JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Air guns can be EXTREMELY picky about what pellets they like, far worse than firearms. Back when I was more involved with air guns, I'd have at least a dozen different .177 & .22 pellets on hand, every .20 I could get (maybe 7 or 8, it's a dying caliber), and 6-8 different .25's. Even with all that, I had one rifle that wouldn't shoot anything well, and have had several that were only acceptable with one or two. Most do well with at least a couple, and okay to good with a few more, so you can usually find something suitable for the application. As an example, my Benjamin Marauder .25 is plinking accurate with Benjamin pellets, but for critters, I stick to the JSB Kings, they're much more consistently accurate.

Anyway, if you're serious about finding the best pellet for your particular rifle, go to Straightshooters.com and order one of their sample packs. If you can't find something there that works, there's something wrong with your gun. Later.

Dave

EPS, you've obviously drunk WAAAAY too much of the Gamo (not Gammo) "faster is better" Koolaid :rolleyes:. Stop and think about the design of the typical air gun pellet. Kind of looks like a badminton birdie, doesn't it? Now think about the typical .30 cal. rifle bullet. Which one looks like a high velocity projectile to you? Reality is, the majority of air gun ammo is designed for velocities less than 1000 FPS, with the sweet spot falling between 850-950 FPS for domed pellets, and target (wadcutter) style under 750. Pointed pellets are usually crap, in my experience, of the dozens of air guns I've owned over the years, only a couple produced acceptable accuracy with pointed pellets. Other than limiting penetration, hollow points are a waste of time in most air guns, just not enough velocity to get them to expand. They also tend to mess with accuracy as the range increases. BTW, I define acceptable accuracy from an air rifle as 90% hits on standard paintballs at 30-50 yards, depending on rifle and caliber. Or at least, acceptable for critters, I'm not quite as critical punching paper.

As to quality pellets, Gamo makes some okay rifles, but they're pellets are crap, and the ones you think so highly of are the crappiest. Sure, they go fast, but I bet you'd be lucky to hit a tin can consistently at 40 yards, and you might as well be dry firing your rifle, they WILL burn piston seals and kill main springs. Which is exactly what Gamo wants, they're in business to sell rifles, not extend the life of the one you have.

The Crosman Premiers are usually pretty good, although the weight can be pretty variable, and they use a harder lead alloy than just about anyone else. You're right about the Daisy's though, you'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn with them. Best brands in most guns are JSB, H&N, most Beeman (rebranded H&N), and RWS. There are other, specialty, pellets, extra-heavyweights for the really high powered rifles, or big bore ammo, anything over .25 caliber. Hope that info helps someone, later.

Dave
Lol accully you are right about the drinking part lol the last time I shot this gun was over a year ago now that I think about it .hell I don't even know if it still works been in the safe taking up space I do remember that I used the gold pellets to sight in the scope and when I switched to different pellets it was off and I didn't like that so I just kept using the gold ones

Last Edited:
I've never thought so much about a rifle I perceived as a toy... o_O

Definitely not toys, the ghost of many a marmot will attest to that! And the new breed of big bore rifles are viable big game weapons, you can buy production air rifles as big as .50 caliber, and there are customs that go even bigger, and are producing power in excess of 1000 ft. lb. I realize that's not especially impressive by firearms standards, but remember, that's running strictly on compressed air, although the real hammers use helium. Biggest I've owned is a .25, but I got the chance to play with a .50 once, that's definitely bordering on awesome :cool:. As someone else said, shot placement is key, and a lot of the better quality air guns are capable of match grade accuracy, or close to it, right out of the box. Later.

Dave

I've never thought so much about a rifle I perceived as a toy... o_O
I was going to say that but I know there are some out there like he said are not really toys .
Lol we are way past the red rider days.
I basically got mine to shoot with my nephew a few years ago .I never intended on using it for hunting .
Maybe shoot some rats in the barn or some pigeons off the wire but that's about it for me.

There used to be a a TV show on the sportsman channel all about air guns .
Seen a guy kill a hog and a deer with a air gun .
But THOSE gun run off a tank you have to charge up with gas like he said I have airsoft guns that run off propane .or they call it green gas .

Update. We just got back from a short trip to ID and the new Crosman 2100 was among the mail received. After testing a 3 pump shot into a fence post to assess power, the 3 sparrow sized squatters were dispatched in 8 shots! This cheap looking, child sized BB gun is darn accurate straight out of the box. The misses rattled around after bouncing off the sheet metal, but no visual damage.

While we're on the topic of ammo selection, let's switch gears here a minute and discuss thoughts about .177 ballistics and what small game at what distance can an air rifle (my Ruger Airhawk of particular interest) reliably be used. By reliably I mean a well placed shot having enough energy for knock down. I have used this rifle several times now on Raccoons within about 30 feet. In a couple of cases, a single shot had them falling like a sack of sand to the ground but have required a dispatch shot. I could use my .22M rifle, but it's loud and misses will end up in the next county.

I'm currently using Crosman Premier 7.9 grain HP. I was just looking at some of the ballistics data on other ammo and it seems most fall between 9-11 ft-lbs at 30 yards. I have not yet found data on the ammo I'm using and how that compares. I would not attempt a shot on a Raccoon beyond about 30 feet as my gut and limited experience says anything further is beyond this calibers capability. What are your thoughts?

Among air gunners, especially springer shooters, there's a saying, ".177 for feathers, .22 for fur", and it's a pretty good guideline. That said, with the right rifle and lots of practice, you could probably get to the point of being able to take racoon size game out to 20 yards, maybe a little farther under perfect conditions. I've killed quite a few critters with an air rifle, but I can only think of two that I took with sub-15 FPE .177's at around 20 yards, and both required a second shot, even though my shot placement was perfect. Move up to a PCP and the .177 becomes much more effective, at least partly because you can use much heavier pellets. You can also stretch the range, 30 yards is very reasonable, and longer isn't unheard of.

All that said, if you're serious about shooting critters bigger than birds with an air gun, switch to a PCP and at least a .22. The right setup will allow consistent, accurate shots on game out to 50 yards or more. Plus no recoil, most are quieter than a rimfire, and a lot are repeaters.

As in all things gun related, shot placement is key. On anything bigger than a bird, I make head shots, with my POA being the center of an imaginary line drawn between the ear and the eye. Pretty much guarantees DRT. Obviously that calls for a profile presentation, and I've been known to wait until I got it, but pretty much any solid hit between the eye and ear, or in the eye or ear, will be just as effective. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads