JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The rounds I used for my service rifle were 62gr, M855 to be specific. I've got plenty of that on hand, but I'm curious what experiences shooters have had with other rounds for their 1:7 barreled AR's. I'd like to also practice shooting with a different round that is as common as the M855.

Currently working on a handload to copy Hornady's 75gr TAP/Match ammo, at far less than a buck a shot. But also going to try and find some 77gr Sierra MK's to duplicate the Mk262 Mod 01 ammo as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Black Hills has the 77g SMKs. If you load, just go it yourself. 24.5g of Varget is just the ticket.

That load delivers 3/8" or better at 100 yards out of my White Oak 1/7 barrel.

My brother has a Colt with a 1/7 twist. Thought he was relegated to the heavier bullets. I loaded some 55g Ballistic Tips for him, and they shoot superbly. (This bullet is very long for its weight): sort of a "cheat".

All of my 7 twist barrels shoot 55 grain bullets just fine. They do well with the heavy bullets as well.

24.5 varget, R15 or tac behind a 75/77 seems to be the ticket.

I have achieved sub 1/2 inch 5 shot groups out of several different 1/8 and 1/7 twist barrels using 52 SMK. In several rifles I had the best groups at 100 yards
with 52 SMK. I use the 52 SMK for short course competition of 200 yards or less. 69 SMK or 77 SMK I use at 300 yards. 80 SMKs for 600 yards.
My pet load for 52 SMK is using Winchester brass 26 grains of WW 748 or 25 grains of H 335. The 52 SMK is less ware on the barrel throat than the 69s , 77s , or 80s.
I measure the barrel throat with a Stoney Point gauge to seat the 80 SMKs on the lands.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top