JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending on your state rules, that shot size may exceed legal pellet size... not sure but isn't #4 buck bigger than #4 birdshot? I could be wrong, frequently am.

I shot a crow in flight with high vilosity 4shot steel (not buck) feathers flew but the bird never stopped flying lol. Mother trucker took it like a champ but he was 40 to 50 yards out. I heard federal 4shot grand slam works good it's got a turkey on the box😉. I've never hunted turkey but I've heard you want some faster hard hitting stuff.

Depending on your state rules, that shot size may exceed legal pellet size... not sure but isn't #4 buck bigger than #4 birdshot? I could be wrong, frequently am.
As you can see in the chart shown here, #4 birdshot is about .130" diamter, or a snick over 1/8".
#4 buck, on the other hand, measures .24" diameter, or just under 1/4".
Coincidentally, the difference between the two is the same as a #6 pellet. 😳
The "standard" #4 buckshot load holds 24 pellets.
If you lined those pellets up, side-by-side, it would take almost 44.31 #4 birdshot pellets to cover the same distance.

ShotPelletSize.jpg

Good call on the Regs, though. I didn't even think about that.
I will check that out.
Thanks. :s0155:

Last Edited:
I've shot turkey with many sizes. I can't recall what the regs say exactly, just don't overthink it. A vanilla bulk box 20ga kills them just as dead as those $10/round tungsten woohoo 3 1/2" 12ga shells. I'll openly admit I shoot a 3 1/2" but that's because I like shooting a cannon :D

Once you decide on a shot-shell size, you should pattern your gun too. The choke (full or more constricted) is important. Those tungstenen loads are pricey, but you're not likely to be making a lot of shots on any trip either.

Fall turkey or are you prepping for spring?

Just considering things right now.
Was thinking of a "dual load" thing...something that might work for both turkey and upland, but I'm not hard on that principal, either.
Was thinking of using dad's old Model 20 pump. 12 ga., full, 28" barrel.
A real classic.
First gen, so it dates from around '48 to '50.
I remember shooting it when I was a kid. It was like trying to man handle a 16 in. Naval gun, but I recently pulled it out of the gun case and shouldered it.
Amazed at how natural it came up.
...down side is, it likes to drop shells out of the mag and onto the ground. So you may load 3 and you may even get to shoot all of them, but you'll only shoot one for sure.
I figure, for turkey, one should be sufficient...if I'm patient enough. =)

1632378557786.png

TTSX - those are some wise words. I've got a 20 gauge, too. 🤔

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads