Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ammo "Crisis"

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by CaughtSteelin, Jun 29, 2009.

1. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

So the past several months there has been a major ammo shortage. But I have been noticing the prices and availability of ammo (and other components) coming down. Is it just me? Or should we expect it to stay as usual; and prices and availability to become un-real?

For example:

9mm, no one could find it. Now it's located most every were. And even though the prices are higher then in past, they are still affordable.

.22lr, Almost non-existent. Now readily available for under $20.

Reload components: Popping up and affordable.

Anyone else seeing this? Or am I just talking non-sense?

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Yeah the prices are starting to drop online, it seems like 9mm is still expensive in most places. But they dropped quite a bit around january, so I bought some .45 and .223, then the price increased by nearly 40% at the same site by march. Makes me wish I would have bought more.

3. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

I see it dropping to. I saw 29.99 for 9mm and now its down to 15.99. xm193 is back to 9.99 for 20 which is good if you arn't buying in bulk.
    i paid 21.99 for 357 before the rise, then it got to up to 40 a box depending on retailer and now its back to 21.99. I can afford to go shooting again, just not as much as before.

4. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

I seen 38 and 357 at Bimart hav'nt seen them for awhile, still no 22 but I keep missing the day they get there shipment. I think it almost over.

5. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

They really need to level out so I can start shooting again

6. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Yep, I was shocked to see 223 on the shelf yesterday at 40 bucks a hundred.:cool:

7. CaughtSteelin

Well that's some good news. .380 and .38spl are the two I haven't been able to find. At least not at what I want to pay; but I haven't really looked that hard either.

8. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

Bimart in JC had 223, 9mm, and 45 acp all in stock yesterday. First time I saw all 3 of those in stock at the same time for quite a while. They were relatively deep with the 9mm having 4 cases on the floor behind the counter.

9. colt44

colt44 La pine Member

I have alot of 38 special cowboy loads for 20 cents apiece if you are interested. I load for cowboy action shooters and I load alot of 38's

10. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I don't think the crisis is any where near an end FWIW. Primers are still extremely rare. Even reloading bullets are on back order. I won't believe it's coming to an end until I see thousands of primers on the shelves again. I haven't seen any on the shelves since Christmas I think at my local stores. I've had to order them online and now I have to deal with backorders and hope they don't get canceled.

11. NK777

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2009/jul/16/0716_shootingsports/

This guy that wrote this article says that they predict ammunition supplies will not be returning to normal until late 2010. He's trying to fool you that he's a avid gun owner/sporting shooter or something but I don't buy it. His knowledge and terminology is lacking way to much for it to be believable that he even owns a gun period.

12. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

You may be right about him but this story still seems correct and early 2010 for a "real" amount of ammo and supplies is what I have been predicting too.

13. guitarguy

guitarguy Longview, WA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Just FYI, I have been buying small pistol primers at BiMart in Vancouver at 2.99/100.
    They have .223 at $.45/round and have the 200 packs on the shelves ($90).
    The 50 round boxes of .45 acp are $19.95 the hace .38 special +p too
    Why pay inflated prices?
    The last gun show in Vanouver had a LOT of ammo for sale and tons of primers. They all started at $6/100 and finally dropped to $4/100. Its all about competition. Many people made money re-selling ammo but now its over.

Kids, it looks like the shortage is comming to an end and WE WON!
    We have .233 ammo on the shelves and AR-15's are stilll legal.
    Aren't you glad you didn't spend $800 for a used AK-47? Some people did.
    Prices are dropping on guns and ammo. I suggest we Stop the Panic Buying.
    ...Just my 2 cents.

14. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

All My had Guns are .40 and I got about 00 rounds of ammo. I dont really "panic" buy anymore.. I did at first. but if i walk into a store and they gt 4 or 5 boxes I'll buy abox of 50. but I have Noticed that ammo is becoming more popular

15. NK777

I'll believe that when Bimart's shelves are fully stocked again and only then. I bet you that won't happen again for awhile. Nope sorry this kid isn't convinced of noth'n yet.

16. Defiant1

Defiant1 Auburn New Member

was at Cabela's Saturday, no 22 or 40 cal. Had plenty of 223 and 308

17. CaughtSteelin

Well I haven't been shopping lately but have been looking. Have seen no .22's; but that's alright; I have more then enough and selling to friends. .223 and .45 and .40 I have seen a lot of. 9mm, .357 mag, .38 spl is a hit and miss. Also primers for $30-35/1000. FINALLY found some .380 today! Also rifle ammo is starting to show up.

18. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

While I am starting to see a little bit more ammo around, the ammo shelves do not seem to be full or stocked with as broad a range of ammo anywhere near as often as they used to be...

19. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

they are getting back orders. you cannot pick up a phone and place an order for tomorrow. We check 6 different warehouses to find a caliber or 2. Most of it goes to the reps and they allocate it to the stores.

20. Huntbear

Huntbear Ellensburg, Wa. Member

What gunshow in Vancouver????? Also, have you seen any Large Pistol Magnum primers down that way?