JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im thinking about how best to label my ammo cans. I was thinking of using an adhesive plastic pouch for a card perhaps (so I could change the label without hassle). Kind of curious if anyone has any better ideas or thoughts on what the label should contain. Any recommendations/discussion welcome.

I just affix a piece of 2" blue painter's tape to the top and write on it in Sharpie what I have in that can. This option is easily removed and updated. Granted, it isn't the highest tech and it isn't the sharpest-looking, but I keep the ammo cans side-by-side across the bottom of a closet.

Oh, and another detail. For pistol ammo, since I buy in cases usually, I just empty the boxes into the can, filling it up to the top with loose ammo. And then I take one empty box, broken down, and leave it in the can with the ammo.

I've done it a couple ways of the years:

1. Printed a label from a Dymo label printer, affixed, and then covered with a piece of clear packing tape.
  2. Labeled with a "Paint Marker" like I did on various fuel cans. Not as purdy, but at least a little more durable.
Both worked for our purposes. Cheers.

I do almost exactly what CHL Cris does, its simple and works really well. On the blue tape I write the type of loads (220g FMJ, Rem... etc.) and on another blue tape strip I write the total estimated quantity in the can. Since the ammo can itself is dedicated to a certain caliber I write directly on that with a paint marker the caliber. I also put inside the box label the ammo came in and also the store receipt... just for random information.

Occasionally I get smaller quantities or off brands on sales, I put those in plastic grocery bags inside the can to keep them separated... not super mandatory, but good if I some off brands are dirty or have defects I can remove/sort them out easily.

I would probably use my Dymo Labelmaker (takes 45113 cartridge).
1/2" wide white label with black lettering.

If you don't mind a home brew look, then painter's tape marked with black Sharpie would work.

Got a good deal on .50 cal cans from Sportsman's Guide recently.
Also some .50 cal "Fatties" from AmmoCanMan on Amazon.
ACM has probably the best (unissued) cans I've seen.

For years I did labels of various sorts. Paper, tape or plastic.

But then I discovered Sharpie silver metallic markers.

Amazon.com : Sharpie Metallic Permanent Markers, Fine Tip, Silver, 4-Count : Permanent Markers : Office Products

You can get them locally at Wal-Mart or most large office supply stores. Some Amazon reviews say their pens arrived dry and non-functioning. But I buy mine fresh from Wal-Mart and have never had a problem (touch wood).

They write directly on painted or blue/parkerized surfaces and are very visible against a dark background. The markings are easily removable with thinner or acetone, with no effect on the underlying surface. I have used them to write info directly onto blued and parkerized rifles and pistols with no problems. They're also GREAT for numbering magazines to keep track of them.

These allow you to cut out the middle man and put the info directly on the can without the extra step of making a specific label. Faster and simpler. It also allows you to write labels in multiple locations on the can so as to be visible from any angle.

Been using them for about 10 years now with no problems. I always keep one in my range gear and have a half-dozen floating around the house so one is always near to hand no matter what room i'm in.

Last Edited:
For years I did labels of various sorts. Paper, tape or plastic.

But then I discovered Sharpie silver metallic markers.

Amazon.com : Sharpie Metallic Permanent Markers, Fine Tip, Silver, 4-Count : Permanent Markers : Office Products

You can get them locally at Wal-Mart or most large office supply stores. Some Amazon reviews say their pens arrived dry and non-functioning. But I buy mine fresh from Wal-Mart and have never had a problem (touch wood).

They write directly on painted or blue/parkerized surfaces and are very visible against a dark background. The markings are easily removable with thinner or acetone, with no effect on the underlying surface. I have used them to write info directly onto blued and parkerized rifles and pistols with no problems. They're also GREAT for numbering magazines to keep track of them.

These allow you to cut out the middle man and put the info directly on the can without the extra step of making a specific label. Faster and simpler. It also allows you to write labels in multiple locations on the can so as to be visible from any angle.

Been using them for about 10 years now with no problems. I always keep one in my range gear and have a half-dozen floating around the house so one is always near to hand no matter what room i'm in.
Yep, those are nice markers.
I first used them to mark on custom fishing rods.

Recently I bought a Beretta 92S and used a silver marker to brighten up the front sight blade.
Worked great for that.

I use those silver sharpies to label various voltage (but similar looking) black wall wart transformers since my sweetheart and I have over a dozen between us.

Back to ammo cans, I have some inkjet business cards and CD labels that print up real nice. Or I tape on the end of an empty 50 rd. ammo box to show exactly what I'm storing in there.

Blue tape with date /count.
Bullet wt.
Primer
Powder & grs
OAL & FPS

All info outside, so I don't have to unstack them to get inside.

Last Edited:
I dump cases into ammo cans, I keep grain weight and brand together generally. I do have 1000 mixed .223/5.56 brass cased 55 grain rounds that I never got around to sorting. I figure if the zombies attack, I'll grab as many cans as possible and scram. :D

Thin sheet magnet. Cut out a box end of the ammo/caliber, and glue it to the magnet sheet with contact adhesive. Trim and stick. Done

I just affix a piece of 2" blue painter's tape to the top and write on it in Sharpie what I have in that can. This option is easily removed and updated. Granted, it isn't the highest tech and it isn't the sharpest-looking, but I keep the ammo cans side-by-side across the bottom of a closet.

Aww dang it! Blue tape [smacks forehead]! That's what I have been missing. After awhile writing on the box itself gets fairly confusing. LOL

This thread reminds of the guy who was sailing single handed around the world and a large wave swamped his boat and all his canned food labels came off.
Every day he kicked himself for not using a magic marker on the cans top.
He never knew what he was going to find inside for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Corned beef hash, baked beans, peaches or stewed prunes, he never knew until he opened them up.

This thread reminds of the guy who was sailing single handed around the world and a large wave swamped his boat and all his canned food labels came off.
Every day he kicked himself for not using a magic marker on the cans top.
He never knew what he was going to find inside for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Corned beef hash, baked beans, peaches or stewed prunes, he never knew until he opened them up.

It's not as hard when one room of the house is full of one caliber. And on and on............:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top