JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My good 2 go ammo has been Sellier/Beloit for a very long time, nothing fancey but it all runs great in every rifle/handgun I own, very little change in FPS and it is very nearly as accurate as the `HIGH` and gucci ammo that is out there , im shocked as all heck with the tight groupings I always seem to get, well I am after all a bolt action ninja God, lolololol, not really.

I have used PMC, but find it tends to be dirtier for cleaning. Seems like a number of people like S&B, so may look into that.

I can't say for sure it's anything other than their 9mm, but Sellier & Belloit for reloading is extremely stiff to resize. Primers punch out harder, and are harder (almost scary) to seat new primers. So much so that in the past, I've passed on S&B 9mm brass and actually sorted it out of the range brass I've picked.

Brand choice? Heck guys these days are picking up ammo like its the only chick after last call at 2AM. Only requirement is it goes bang. :eek:
Other than for my .22's (which is CCI first) all I care about it that it works. So I do test something new first. Rarely for some reason some gun (since all mine are autos) does not like something. Last time it was a problem was magTech. Had used the stuff for a while in different guns. When I ordered a PCC in .40 S&W I ordered probably 15 boxes of assorted ammo. This was of course when you could pick from everything. After break in all was good till one day I am at the range and all I have left is a few boxes of the Mag-Tech. The rifle would no longer go through a mag without at least one hang up. Went out front and bought 2 boxes of ball ammo same weight from other's, those 100 rounds no problem. So all I could think was glad I did not buy a case of the one since the only .40 I had was that rifle. Still no clue why it did not like that ammo since it never had problems with anything else as long as I had it. So I always say if it's something you have not tried? Buy a few boxes first before you start buying case's.
When I was just looking at my stuff to re arrange other than .22, 9mm is what I have the most of. Looks like pretty equal amounts of S&B, Fiochi, and Speer Blazer Brass. Means that each time I ordered one of those was the one they had the cheapest that day. They all have just always worked and I can't tell any difference in them for my informal use.
.22 ammo seems to be the only thing that there is WIDE spread difference in. Often stuff made by the same Co. Have many K of some Federal stuff Wife bought panic before this panic that is just crap. None of my many .22's will shoot it worth a damn. Yet that bulk Auto Match stuff they make? All the guns seem to eat it fine???:confused:

I can't say for sure it's anything other than their 9mm, but Sellier & Belloit for reloading is extremely stiff to resize. Primers punch out harder, and are harder (almost scary) to seat new primers. So much so that in the past, I've passed on S&B 9mm brass and actually sorted it out of the range brass I've picked.
That is interesting. I have not rolled any 9's in many years but have LOT's of brass and there has to be a lot of S&B in there. I guess I should grab a handful and run them through to see. If it's a harder one to use can start sorting them out in case I get low enough to have to start rolling it again. Be good to find out now instead of when I start trying to use the stuff that's been sitting for years :eek:

That is interesting. I have not rolled any 9's in many years but have LOT's of brass and there has to be a lot of S&B in there. I guess I should grab a handful and run them through to see. If it's a harder one to use can start sorting them out in case I get low enough to have to start rolling it again. Be good to find out now instead of when I start trying to use the stuff that's been sitting for years :eek:

I do RCBS single stage. I do have an amount in 9mm that I rotate through and load. After it the 1st/2nd sizing the brass softens/relaxes some, but the primer pocket still is small though. There's also a couple/three other head stamps that are like that. CBC is one, can't think of the others now. A couple of the uncommon ones.

I do RCBS single stage. I do have an amount in 9mm that I rotate through and load. After it the 1st/2nd sizing the brass softens/relaxes some, but the primer pocket still is small though. There's also a couple/three other head stamps that are like that. CBC is one, can't think of the others now. A couple of the uncommon ones.
Thanks, it will make me grab out a bucket of brass and run a few just to check. May not ever use it but, may as well check now. Would really burn my butt if this ever got bad enough I was going to roll and then I found out some of what I have is much harder to use since I was giving away thousands of cases of other stuff for years. Need to find out now if any of it is harder to use since I can just give that away instead :)

Thanks, it will make me grab out a bucket of brass and run a few just to check. May not ever use it but, may as well check now. Would really burn my butt if this ever got bad enough I was going to roll and then I found out some of what I have is much harder to use since I was giving away thousands of cases of other stuff for years. Need to find out now if any of it is harder to use since I can just give that away instead :)

You might find it not bad enough to throw out/give away. And there may come a time when the only easy way to get ammo is load it ourselves.

You might find it not bad enough to throw out/give away. And there may come a time when the only easy way to get ammo is load it ourselves.
I have to give away a lot of 9mm or I would soon look like those homes on that Horders show :eek:
I have a 5 gallon bucket of brass for each caliber as a "just in case". Since then I give it away. As 9mm in what I shoot the most of other than .22, hell if I kept saving the 9 brass for all these years it would get insane. So I pick up most of it and give it to others who need it. If I find out one kind is harder to roll though I will of course give that away and replace with something else. As it is now I am sure when I shuffle off my kids will be rolling their eye's at how much reloading stuff they have to off load but, if they are smart enough to just wait till there is another panic they will not be rolling eyes at what it sells for :):):):eek::eek:

For centerfire stuff, I reload it, but .22lr, I really like Thunderbolt. ( When we're not in an ammo crisis) It's cheap, it's more accurate ( slightly, but measurable) in all my guns than CCI. Feeds better in the CP33, also, due to the dry, slippery coating. Guns tested: Kel-Tec CP33, GSG 1911-22, H&K 416-22lr.

Since the crisis? well... whatever I can get in a bulk pack, that's under .10 a round will do just fine.

I like the Speer Gold Dot Hollow point for my Series '70 if I need a "Get outta my face" type of round.
Otherwise S&B FMJ works well for most of my shooting with it.

Remington Core-Lokt is my preferred choice for hunting...not the world's most fancy , or expensive of hunting type bullets...but they do work , just fine.

Federal game loads are what I and my shotguns like.

CCI Mini Mags are my favorites with my .22 rifles...but since they are single shot bolt actions...they ain't as picky as me..and work with most any brand or even size , like .22LR , .22Long or .22Short.

But mostly its a home made pure lead round ball and patch , along with some GOEX 2F that does the all work that I need....:D
Andy
Forgot about Core-Lokt, that is a good one for hunting.

Seems S&B is fairly popular here.

For centerfire stuff, I reload it, but .22lr, I really like Thunderbolt. ( When we're not in an ammo crisis) It's cheap, it's more accurate ( slightly, but measurable) in all my guns than CCI. Feeds better in the CP33, also, due to the dry, slippery coating. Guns tested: Kel-Tec CP33, GSG 1911-22, H&K 416-22lr.

Since the crisis? well... whatever I can get in a bulk pack, that's under .10 a round will do just fine.
I've also had good luck with Thunderbolt, but a lot of people find it troublesome.

Haven't formally tested Thunderbolt for accuracy in the GF's Ruger 22/45 lite, yet, but it is very reliable for match use in that gun, as well. It's a little dirty, but not too bad, certainly better than Aguila. ( Not really knocking Aguila, but the waxy coating on it builds up pretty quick in a semi-auto and can cause issues sooner than a cleaner brand)

Forgot about Core-Lokt, that is a good one for hunting.

Seems S&B is fairly popular here.
When I got a 10mm S&B was the only thing that was not really pricey. The round was making a huge come back but still not made in enough quantity bring price down to what .45 ACP sells for except for some reason S&B. After trying some and it worked great bought a couple cases of it. Stuff was at that time about %60 of what the other "range ammo" was for some reason.
I have long used it in all my calibers and never had a complaint from any of them. When this panic is over it will be one I have no hesitation ordering again.

An observation...

"Dirty" often is included in ammo discussions. Dirty is a misused term, at least sometimes.

If a firearm has a poor bore, or maybe an oversized bore, and/or an undersized bullet for any given bore, causing propellant gas to pass between the un-obturated bullet and the bore, that can leave lead deposits in the barrel, a person could conclude the ammo is dirty, when in actuality it could be the fault of the barrel/bullet fit.

An overly hard bullet, or a light charge can cause the same issues, and be blamed as dirty ammo. As well, too soft a bullet with high velocity can leave barrel deposits. That is a leading cause of dirty ammo.

And a given cartridge might give a lighter bullet pull in one barrel than another, causing inefficient powder burn. That can produce signs of dirty ammo. In another gun, the same powder might burn very well.

And even within this thread, I see exterior lubricated bullets described as dirty. The best of the best rimfire match ammo is outside lubricated. A slimy outside lube should not be confused with being dirty.

In conclusion, I do not proclaim any ammo is dirty, without concluding the cartridge/bullet/powder/charge is or is not the right match for any given firearm.:) So if i say a given cartridge is dirty, I am more correct in saying a given cartridge burns dirty in a specific firearm.

And yes, there are exceptions. I do know there are also some cartridges that do in fact burn dirtier than others, regardless of the firearm.

Last Edited:
I only shoot my ammo..., well that's not entirely true, I'll buy a box of big name ammo if I just bought a gun in a caliber I've never owned before. That way I have a benchmark to compare my ammo to. I'm an ammo manufacturer so If I don't shoot my ammo how can I ask others to shoot it.

Federal has been a staple for me since the days when the 7.62N GMHP's were the only standard for precision rifle use. We used to check lots and when we found a lot that worked in our rifles we would go with it. At the time the military was loading their own for sniper use with some Federal use, and police were using Federal in lots that worked. I know there are a handful of reliable options now, and Federal is not always one for all rifles.

I find Federal FMJ for 9mm and 45 Auto is very accurate. They went through a period where the accuracy dropped: not sure what happened between 2003 and 2012 approx, but the last so many years I have had excellent results with Federal FMJ 115g and 230g hardball Walmart boxes.

I also have great luck with Winchester white box in 9mm and 45 Auto. 115g and 230g FMJ hardball Walmart boxes. Speer has been problematic at times, and good at times, so I avoid it.

Both Federal and Winchester shoots better than me in a pistol. I also like #1 Magtech FMJ and my pistols shoot it very well 9mm/45Auto probably better than Federal which is #2 for me. I really love Magtech and the prices were like $12 for a box of 50.

CCI is one of my favorites for 5.56N, but for some reason two of my 45 Auto's don't like Bronze. Three of my 9mm don't like Bronze: I can never get consistency. Hornady Critical Duty shoots horrible in my 9mm and 45 Autos. Hornady Critical Defense shoots excellent in my 9mm and 45 Autos: #1 for defense ammo. I have some Federal HRT but I have not shot enough to rate it. I like Liberty Defense in 9mm and 45 Auto, it shoots very well for me.

Remington produces good results across the board for me in everything rifle and pistol. I have not shot their defense ammo in ages, so I cannot compare. My hunting ammo is all Federal and Remington. Had bad results with Hornady Match at 100 meter zero: 2MOA max. Federal American Eagle I shoot 1MOA all day, with 5.56N and a few other rifle calibers: but it's not good for hunting...

I have a rifle that shoots 1/2 moa 3 shot groups at 100 meters with Federal American Eagle. It throws a shot or two to 1MOA with 4th and 5th shots. With dead on cold bore shots. It may be the for-end/gas block clearance: still working on it.

With my EU forged barreled pistols the Magtech is absolute best. My US 45 Autos eat Federal or Winchester the best, I cannot tell the difference they both hit where I aim, unless I screw up. The Hornady Critical Defense is always spot on with everything. For some reason Critical Duty does not work for me? Which is strange because I know of a big group who adopted it for duty use. Maybe it works in Glocks, but I don't use Glocks? Added a new member to the family, a more modern Sig with optic capability, so I am hoping the barrel is as good as the Walther. The Russian steel cased stuff I will not shoot in my rifles period: except a combloc rifle that loves it and shoots it very well 7.62x39. I have run it in a 1911 and it does very well, but it gets the gun dirtier than a bubblegumhouse rat and by 100rds my eyes are burning and I look like a chimney sweep..so no. I'm fairly sure Russia puts cancer in them also..

At this point I have come to understand:

- Your gun is only as good as the barrel. Get the best barrel you can. I have installed Barsto and they are insanely accurate. I have used cheaply made pitols with crap factory barrels in the same configurations and the barrels shoot horribly. Even comparing same pistol with factory barrel to Barsto.

- Ammo has to be selected by shooting it in lots and finding what shoots best and trying to hoard lots that work well. I have a lot list, and when I test a few boxes I go out and buy boxes from lots that work.

- Ammo that shoots lights out in one gun cannot be expected to do the same in another, and often does not. Barrels are so different, so many variables. I often feel some gun barrels are absolute QC failures on occasion.

- Triggers are often a limiting factor, especially on lightweight rifles and always on pistols. If you have an old ultra heavy rifle with a crap trigger it is easier to keep it still and get decent accuracy. But modern rifles need great if not excellent triggers to see accuracy potential. Some models are good from the factory but most are not.

I bench the guns when I shoot a new load. I then shoot free standing. I will switch to another gun and shoot it to see if it exhibits similar shot placement. I find ammo shoots differently between FMJ and JHPs slightly. FMJ's shoot higher than JHPs for me just slighty at defensive distances. In the end I point shoot, and if it does not group well at 15 feet point shooting I fail it. If the rifle ammo does not shoot 1MOA at 100 meters I fail it. I also fail it if I cannot get a cold bore 1MOA repeatedly, which is more of a challenge, you can get a 1MOA group but not get a shot on the bull with a cold bore, it's useless to me. Most of my pistols use combat sights: I don't use optics yet. I have some custom irons that are much more accurate for pistol shooting at 25 yards. When I get data on my rifles I shoot 10x at 100 meters out to 20x. For brush hunting rifles I shoot 100 yards irons and if I hit the center of paper plate I am happy. But everything eats Remington, Federal, Norma, Lapua bonded SP's and it always shoots incredibly well in my 30-30, 35 Remington, 7mm, 30-06, and 5.56N hunting rifles.

This is all I can offer. Good luck.

I like the Speer Gold Dot Hollow point for my Series '70 if I need a "Get outta my face" type of round.
Otherwise S&B FMJ works well for most of my shooting with it.

Remington Core-Lokt is my preferred choice for hunting...not the world's most fancy , or expensive of hunting type bullets...but they do work , just fine.

Federal game loads are what I and my shotguns like.

CCI Mini Mags are my favorites with my .22 rifles...but since they are single shot bolt actions...they ain't as picky as me..and work with most any brand or even size , like .22LR , .22Long or .22Short.

But mostly its a home made pure lead round ball and patch , along with some GOEX 2F that does the all work that I need....:D
Andy

Andy,

Do you reload - hand load for any of your firearms that only use smokeless powder? Modern firearms.

Do you only use factory ammunition for all of your modern, smokeless powder firearms?

Do you shoot more of your black powder firearms than your smokeless powder CF and RF firearms on an annual basis?

Thank you.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews