JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you have a specific brand or company that is your "go to" for plinking, defense, or competition ammo? This is more general as opposed to specific rounds, weights, etc.

I have found Fiocchi's target ammo for my 9mm and .223 to be great. I haven't tried for other calibers. For .22lr, CCI and Winchester (Super X) have done well.

The major American brands are so competitive in quality and performance, I can buy any of them without concern. Availability, cost, and projectile type, weight, and velocity, dictating what I will buy.

The changes I've come to accept, is with some overseas ammo.

European, and even Eastern European ammo, namely Fiocchi and S&B, have made major strides in actually becoming very acceptable in America. I buy these brands at will, without concern. Prvi Partizan, I've found to be very high quality.

S. Korean PMC, as good as any ammo I've ever shot.

And the lowly Aguila? Wasn't always my favorite, but now, I've found their rimfire ammo to be top notch.

So, I do prefer to buy domestic ammo, but when it's not available, it's comforting to know there is some very high quality ammo available from elsewhere.

Last Edited:
For pistol practice/plinking it's Blazer Brass or S&B ammo
I have had great service with both. I like Federal and Hornady loads for defensive use.

Do you have a specific brand or company that is your "go to" for plinking, defense, or competition ammo? This is more general as opposed to specific rounds, weights, etc.

I have found Fiocchi's target ammo for my 9mm and .223 to be great. I haven't tried for other calibers. For .22lr, CCI and Winchester (Super X) have done well.
I've got 2 boxes of CCI's and a box of Remington's, all .22 rimfire's, so I'll say those.

Cheapest is normally all I care about as long as it is a name brand. I have long avoided the Russian stuff and steel case. When I buy another case of something I look first for the round I want, then what's the lowest price for the case in the stuff I know the name of. I have a few times bought something I had not tried but before I buy a case I will toss a couple boxes on an order just to make sure. After all we are talking practice / fun ammo so as long as it goes bang, and the guns eat it, it's done its job

My good 2 go ammo has been Sellier/Beloit for a very long time, nothing fancey but it all runs great in every rifle/handgun I own, very little change in FPS and it is very nearly as accurate as the `HIGH` and gucci ammo that is out there , im shocked as all heck with the tight groupings I always seem to get, well I am after all a bolt action ninja God, lolololol, not really.

I've only bought cheap range ammo. Whatever is cheap and available. I don't have much experience with firearms but in the short time I've had them, I've put maybe 2-3k 9mm, 200-300 223/556, and 750 of 22lr. The Glock 19 has no problem taking anything, Herters, CCI, S&B. No problems with my AR15 with American Eagle or Herters, my 22/45 seems like like Winchester more than Remington. Now if anyone could recommend some extremely reliable manufacturers for self defense rounds, I've got an apt with Marion county sheriffs office Dec 3rd for CCL

Prefer American brands. For carbines, Hornady Frontier in 5.56, and Black Hills 405gr. cowboy loads for my 45/70 Browning lever. Handguns, always real happy with Winchester FMJ for practice ammo.

Also, I've had really good experience with imported S&B FMJ, and it tends to be a bit less expensive, and usually hot for practice ammo over everything else :rolleyes:

Defensive rounds, Speer Gold Dots or HSTs, in +P.

The major American brands are so competitive in quality and performance, I can buy any of them without concern. Availability, cost, and projectile type, weight, and velocity, dictating what I will buy.

The changes I've come to accept, is with some overseas ammo.

European, and even Eastern European ammo, namely Fiocchi and S&B, have made major strides in actually becoming very acceptable in America. I buy these brands at will, without concern. Prvi Partizan, I've found to be very high quality.

S. Korean PMC, as good as any ammo I've ever shot.

And the lowly Aguila? Wasn't always my favorite, but now, I've found their rimfire ammo to be top notch.
I have used PMC, but find it tends to be dirtier for cleaning. Seems like a number of people like S&B, so may look into that.

I've only bought cheap range ammo. Whatever is cheap and available. I don't have much experience with firearms but in the short time I've had them, I've put maybe 2-3k 9mm, 200-300 223/556, and 750 of 22lr. The Glock 19 has no problem taking anything, Herters, CCI, S&B. No problems with my AR15 with American Eagle or Herters, my 22/45 seems like like Winchester more than Remington. Now if anyone could recommend some extremely reliable manufacturers for self defense rounds, I've got an apt with Marion county sheriffs office Dec 3rd for CCL
Federal HST is highly ranked and used by many in law enforcement. FBI uses Hornaday Critical Duty. Either will get the job done.

I actually still have 9mm Black Talons from ages ago. I think it would do in a pinch; love their expansion and weight maintenance.

PPU M193 is quite good for plinking I have shot over 2k with those rounds. I also have shot cases of X-TAC 55gr fairly good ammo as well. Also LC XM193 if you find it.

I'll buy and shoot pretty much any ammo that's at a decent price point for plinking. Only brand I try to avoid is Winchester bulk .22lr if i can help it. I seem to have the most failure to fires out of WInchester .22lr than any others. For self defense I prefer Federals offerings over others.

I like the Speer Gold Dot Hollow point for my Series '70 if I need a "Get outta my face" type of round.
Otherwise S&B FMJ works well for most of my shooting with it.

Remington Core-Lokt is my preferred choice for hunting...not the world's most fancy , or expensive of hunting type bullets...but they do work , just fine.

Federal game loads are what I and my shotguns like.

CCI Mini Mags are my favorites with my .22 rifles...but since they are single shot bolt actions...they ain't as picky as me..and work with most any brand or even size , like .22LR , .22Long or .22Short.

But mostly its a home made pure lead round ball and patch , along with some GOEX 2F that does the all work that I need....:D
Andy

I'm with Louis, ('cept mine is from my table, not his).

I'm with Andy for the stuff that won't accept a primer no matter how hard I try. (Rimfire)
CCI Mini Mag Hollowpoints are very consistent on the chrono, very accurate in all my .22's, and very reliable in the guns that don't burn any calories to chamber the next round (semi-autos: handgun and rifle). The Ciener/Kimber, etc. conversion kits for the M1911 specify them. For good reason.

They also are faultless toward expansion in tests and on game. Multiple other .22HP rounds are extremely fickle about this.

My "Proletariat Hawkens" (Thompson Center) and Cap and Ball pistols digest what I feed them away from the bench.

I don't do hardly any "turning money into noise" -type plinking. Has to be purposeful. Wait: except for this one: P1120116.JPG

Rated by preference:

1- Federal
2- Winchester
3- Speer/CCI
4- Hornady

Varies by firearm type, a little. E.G., for some ammo, I prefer or find Hornady as good as any other; e.g., 7.62x39, .45-70, for some I don't (I don't care for Hornady pistol ammo).

For practice ammo - meh, as long as it isn't corrosive, fairly reliable and close to SD ammo in power/ballistics and somewhat, POA/POI (doesn't matter on that too much - POI for the SD is much more important).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top