JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
and I did stock up, until I recently purchased an M1A, which cost $30 a mag to shoot

going to have to take up reloading again, if only for .308

luckily, my God Son was in the Marines and gave me 2000 empty LC cases

been run through an M240 at Camp Pendleton only once

when I was reloading for my .308 Garand, I could reload a LC case for a Garand about 5 times before it stressed out

A decade to stock up and few people did...

Ten years ago I had just recently acquired the legal right to buy a handgun and struggled to pay rent, sharing an apartment with two others.

Markets are always changing - but don't forget that many hurting for ammo to buy or build today haven't had 10 years to stock up.

It could get worse too:(

It will, if by no other fact than the market size has grown dramatically with first time gun buyers who, until now, where using zero round/month (and probably wondering why people could ever want more than 50 rounds, ever).

I see this like the TP shortage in that, I think ammo producers already operated manufacturing facilities near maximum daily output...all we can do now is wait for the market to have less demand or production to increase...both of which are probably a long, long way off for ammo.

yup, I remember the ammo and even primer shortage in '93 leading up to the Clinton gun ban

and there was no internet ammo sales, we bought from paper catalogs

believe me - all this will pass

It will, if by no other fact than the market size has grown dramatically with first time gun buyers who, until now, where using zero round/month (and probably wondering why people could ever want more than 50 rounds, ever).

I see this like the TP shortage in that, I think ammo producers already operated manufacturing facilities near maximum daily output...all we can do now is wait for the market to have less demand or production to increase...both of which are probably a long, long way off for ammo.

One thing that makes it worse than the TP shortage, is that was merely a one time increase in demand because everyone uses TP already and probably didn't change their usage patterns -- it ironed itself out after an initial buying surge.

As you mention though, there's now a permanent increase in baseline ammo demand due to new owners and that demand is going to take infrastructure to meet. I would expect manufacturers to spend some time figuring out what that baseline level actually is, as well as paying attention to politics, before deciding whether to invest in equipment and then what investment they'll make. As a result, I suspect this is going to drag on for a while (and in certain political outcomes, a very long time).

I dunno. If I were a manufacturer, I'd be cranking up production as much as possible because, even if things stabilize now, there will always be another crisis/panic to buy up any excess production they may make by overproduction now.

I don't think the increase in ammo demand is a permanent thing. Shootests still and will shoot. That IMHO is the baseline. Right now there is tidal wave of new gun owners and of course they all want ammo. What I hear is "some to practice with and double that to sit on the shelf". My question would be how many of them actually become shootests or at least hobbyist.

I dunno. If I were a manufacturer, I'd be cranking up production as much as possible because, even if things stabilize now, there will always be another crisis/panic to buy up any excess production they may make by overproduction now.

Bean counters don't see inventory that way. They like "just in time". Too much. Across all industry.

Not the first and not the last. Meh, I'll let everyone else pay $.50/rd for 9mm and almost $1/rd for 5.56.

Not the first and not the last. Meh, I'll let everyone else pay $.50/rd for 9mm and almost $1/rd for 5.56.
yes, but how many tens of thousands of rounds do you have stored in your workshop?
many shooters have just 2 choses today - stay home and just fondle their firearms or pay the price to go shooting
I noted the price of 7.62x39 has not gone up that much since March, SG has those wooden crates back in for the same price I paid back then
still .37/rnd for Russian steel case
I used to get 500 rounds of Russian steel case for $100, but this isn't 1990 any longer and prices will never go back to even 2010 prices
I guess you can get a lot of dry firing in with snap caps

yes, but how many tens of thousands of rounds do you have stored in your workshop?
many shooters have just 2 choses today - stay home and just fondle their firearms or pay the price to go shooting
I noted the price of 7.62x39 has not gone up that much since March, SG has those wooden crates back in for the same price I paid back then
still .37/rnd for Russian steel case
I used to get 500 rounds of Russian steel case for $100, but this isn't 1990 any longer and prices will never go back to even 2010 prices
I guess you can get a lot of dry firing in with snap caps

I buy when things are "normal" and try to be mindful when going to the range. I don't take a "shoot it all up" stance and really try to just get the practice in I NEED and keep the "fun" shooting to a minimum (during shortages anyway).

I have snap caps, but I can't remember the last time I did dry fire practice. I used to quite a bit, but it tapered off as my shooting skills sharpened.

Ah, who am I kidding? I can't shoot for sh** anyway so why bother? :D

I was at an private outdoor shooting event several weeks ago and emptied the snap caps out of my Ruger SP101 to load live rounds

not ONE of the younger shooters even knew what snap caps were

well, shooters in their 20s

every shooter was younger than me

''When all you have is a hammer. Every problem looks like a nail.''

Being gun lovers I think we place too much emphasis on ammo needs.
How bad would things have to be before you even use up a 50 round box of pistol ammo protecting yourself?

You will be hard pressed meeting your families food and shelter needs long before that.

Chances are you will be without financial resources for months before SHTF. And in that time the basic needs of your wife, kids, and family will be your real problem. Or even just yourself.

- Pay off debt.

- Build up a emergency fund.

- Put up some food and watter.

Don't worry.
Mad Max is driving an old vintage car that's been through the ringer. [ An AMC no less].

It will be some time before he's on your doorstep. :s0031:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews