JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have to try different ones and see which you gun likes, but the one I've found most consistently accurate is the federal gold match 168gr. Black hills is usually good too.

as said before FGMM federal gold metal match
Black Hills Match
Hornady superperformance / match
Millitary uses Lake City M118 LR (long rifle)

southwest ammunition i think out of like AZ makes some good stuff. for 20 bux a box.

mostly these rounds shoot a 168 or 175 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet (HPBT)
at around 2600 fps.

pretty much all the big name makers carry a "Match" round . Federal is uasually what LE uses.

besides Match bullets you can find some good accurate "Varmint" rounds. think most varmint hunters are taking long range shots at very small targets.

If your rifle has a slow twist (>11:1) you may find the lighter bullets actually can shoot better.

This is the twist selected by the Military for the M-24. The optimal twist for a 173 grain FMJ-BT bullet. I shoot 175 gr Nosler Custom Competition BT-HP's in my Rem that has the same the same twist and get 1/4moa accuracy with absolute regularity. Ideal speed seems to be in the 2550-2600 fps range.

I found that the 155 gr Palma's didn't shoot anywhere as well in this barrel.

This may be a "Slow" twist rate for an AR-15 with a 3/4" bullet but in .308 it is more of a "Just Right" twist rate for a 173-175 gr bullet.

I do agree that Federal Gold Medal Match ammo is about the best for accuracy, for factory ammo. That is if you don't mind paying from $1/round, buying in 200 round quantities, to as much as $2/round, buying one box at a time at the range.

If you want really accurate .308 ammo, at an affordable price, sooner or later you will consider reloading. Can cut the price by half, even off the "bulk buy price" with an investment as little as $150 in equipment.

To the OP: any round using a 175 gr SMK HPBT should be good.

Usual suspects: FGMM, Black Hills and Southwest Ammo.

Save the brass and you can experiment with reloading. As long as you're not loading really hot, the FGMM brass is good for a few reloads.

The same info from sites like SniperHide, and the long range High Power competition shooters, that offer a lot of tested data, favorite loads, etc.
The High Power 1000 yard and Sniper competitors seem to like the SMK- Sierra Match King HPBT in 155 or 175 in either a factory load or their favorite hand load.
Again you usually have to try a few different loads / manufactures to see what your barrel likes, the Federal Gold Medal Match is noted often.

I think CTD still has some of the Fed Gold Match in 168G and 175G for 19.98 or 22.00 a box, normally 28.00-35.00 a box, but you have to look
for the listings beyond the highlited postings to find it.

I think CTD still has some of the Fed Gold Match in 168G and 175G for 19.98 or 22.00 a box, normally 28.00-35.00 a box, but you have to look
for the listings beyond the highlited postings to find it.

Just remember to take into consideration any freight. It adds up quick with ammo. Sometimes those "$20 boxes" can end up costing the same as one off a local shelf. Just a friendly reminder.

3 weeks ago I stop by Wholesale Sport at 82nd street brought 3 box .308 Federal Medium Gold Match 168gr,they charged 39.98 for box 20rds. That is the wrong place to buy. Well I just found on the web and just got 100 rounds Federal Medium Gold Match 175gr only $ 19.98 a box.
Here the web : <broken link removed>

I use Federal Gold Metal 168gr in my 308 bolt rifle,

But I recommend using Mil-Spec brass, like the "Noveske" Black Hills NMM1 load in Semi-Auto's , but it is expensive.

We sell Fed GM308M for $21.99 a box of twenty.

Karl