JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hmmm,the Texan I can see,the Californian must have been from a state other than California originally

Don’t take your guns to town or Canada.

Two American men, one 64 and from Texas and the other 70 and from California, spent five days in a Canadian jail, had to put up $50,000 in bail and may face three years in prison for the trove of guns border guards allegedly found in their Winnebago, the Vancouver Sun reports.

The men, traveling with their wives to Alaska to celebrate a wedding anniversary, crossed the border near Abbotsford, B.C.

A search by Canadian border agents allegedly turned up several pistols and a shotgun. They face charges that include smuggling and possession of prohibited weapons.

Their vacation was over.

Canadian Border Services

The Sun reports:

Vancouver lawyer Joel Whysall, who represents the pair, said the men are both retired and have no criminal records.

“These are people who have never been in trouble in their lives and they spent five days in the North Surrey Pre-Trial Centre with hardened criminals and drug addicts,” Whysall said.

“They were completely besides themselves and it took their wives five days to raise bail to get them out.”

That's about what I would expect for breaking the law. Look ahead before you take your guns. They're not welcome in some places. When I travel I check out the basics on potential CC restrictions, mag capacity restrictions, where I can and can't CC, so on and so on.

They get no sympathy from me. We complain about illegals coming to the USA and breaking our laws so we have no right to go to another country and break their laws.

Ditto. One question I have though. Might they have been able to get permission in advance from the Canadian Govt to transport the guns thru Canada given their final destination was Alaska, or is that even a possibility? Just curious if there is even an option for that.

They were on their way to Alaska.
Me, I haven't been since the dollar weakened. But I like Vancouver--great food.

I used to travel to Canada on business frequently back in the 80's. I would always buy a new suit or jacket when I went up there as with the exchange rate at that time $1.00 U.S. was buying about $1.40 Canadian.

Ditto. One question I have though. Might they have been able to get permission in advance from the Canadian Govt to transport the guns thru Canada given their final destination was Alaska, or is that even a possibility? Just curious if there is even an option for that.

I believe this is possible, but must be done in advance. I forget exactly what red tape you have to go through.

I have entered Canada from the north and south and each and every time I was treated poorly by a rude border guard. If I never return to Canada thats just fine. Ken

Used to live in SE Alaska in the 60's & 70's. to go anywhere you went through Canada either North or South. When we had our handguns, they would put a string through the barrel and crimp on a lead seal. If the string & seal were intact when you got to the other border you were ok. Long guns were ok at that time, but I got a warning for shooting rabbits on the wrong side of the road.( game preserve on one side, ok on the other)

Huge hassle for handguns. Long guns are less of a hassle.

If you need to take guns from WA to AK - use the ferry:

FerryTravel.com - Book Bellingham ferries to Alaska, Victoria & to Friday Harbor easily quickly & securely online.

I have entered Canada from the north and south and each and every time I was treated poorly by a rude border guard. If I never return to Canada thats just fine. Ken

Ive always had the opposite experience. Into Canada never a problem. Return to USA, usually treated poorly..

From my experiences in crossing the US-Canada border so many times, my opinion is that Canadian Border Services team are more focus on things that are being smuggled into Canada, with the intent of avoiding to pay required taxes/duties. Whereas, US are more on Security.

Here's the link that provides details on how you can bring firearms into Canada and what are allowed. I can't even bring my pistol into BC because it has 4" barrel and considered Prohibited!

Firearm Users Visiting Canada

Last time I crossed to I was asked specifically about guns. "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?" NO "Do you have any guns at home?" Yes "How many?" Couple of dozen, Why did you need? "Have a nice stay in BC, Please pull forward"

I hate going to Canada and avoid it at all cost.

If they use the Inland Passageway they probably are in Canadian waters and probably subject to Canadian laws.

I was wondering about that. Certainly something to ask about in advance. Might be a gray area if you don't do a port call in Canada.

Kind of like how all the US submarines go up the inland passageway without telling Canada. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top