JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I just picked up a new copy of American Survival Guide Magazine. I did not know that they were back in publication (with new editors and publisher). I read this mag from the late '60s (Shooters Survival Guide) through the '90s. When publication ceased. I haven't read it yet but I'm curious as to how it compares with the earlier versions and if it is well written, researched and is informative. I used to really enjoy them! Wonder if any of you have read the new issues and what you think.

It was an absolute waste of paper, IMO.

Silly stuff, mostly.

At the same time, I picked up issue #1 of American Frontiersman. Much, much better info, articles, and references.

Eh! It should be titled "Better Homes and Campfires" with articles like "Five Emergency Items to Carry So You Can Be Back At The Ski Lodge In Time For Peppermint Schnaups!"
Tip: Winter can be cold and unpredictable! Then they have "The Authors Expertise" at the end of an article, with two paragraphs that inform us that he does seminars and writes, and is putting together a three day workshop! Not a word about what he does or is an expert on! No real resemblance to the old mag and no politics at all! Firearms section was minuscule. Don't waste your money. $8.99 by the way!

PS: Okay, looking at backpacks and saw mine (Alp Mountaineering)! This changes everything! Great magazine! Great read! Highly recommend!

OK, no!

PPS: Another thought about this rag has struck me. If it appeals to Jim and Kim Urbanite (and it is slick and modern), a certain number of people will be drawn to prepping. Some of those will purchase firearms and a number of those will join the NRA,etc. "This black gun is amazing! I feel like I have a pair! No one is taking it away! Ever!" Every slick rag has a silver lining.

Last Edited:
Bummer, I treasure my old back issues. I still go back and read those.

I know, they are a valuable resource, right? A lot of the articles are still relevant and even the ads are cool and informative. Those ads really kill me though, the gear, the prices! Most of this stuff is sold off or no longer manufactured now that I can afford it.

There was another Survival Mag in the 90's that competed w/ASG that was aimed at the Yuppie Demographic which did not have a pic of a gun on the cover, it lasted 2 years or so, in other words it ran out of investor money and was a failure from the get-go. I tossed out all my evile survival mags so I cannot give you the actual title.
ASG was sold to a British holding company long ago, I guess it was resurected because of the sucess of Doomsday Preppers

There was another Survival Mag in the 90's that competed w/ASG that was aimed at the Yuppie Demographic which did not have a pic of a gun on the cover, it lasted 2 years or so, in other words it ran out of investor money and was a failure from the get-go. I tossed out all my evile survival mags so I cannot give you the actual title.
ASG was sold to a British holding company long ago, I guess it was resurected because of the sucess of Doomsday Preppers

One that I remember from back when was Survive. Right! It intentionally stayed away from gun related articles, not a wise business plan!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top