JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone else seen one of these black minks ?
The one I saw was jet black, sneaking just after daylight and very cautious in a dry seasonal creek.(September)
It stayed below the pasture edge in the dryed creek bank. Stopping to survey the open pasture then continuing up stream towards a pond surrounded by blackberries. It took him about two minutes to travel the 100 yrds of open, then slipped into the vines. It loped like a ferret.
I had to do some guugling to make sure it wasn't a ferret, but one article stated that ferrets in the forest don't last very long before being eaten. Rare to me, but wide range in the west turns out.

Anyone seen one?

We have them where I live and hunt...A long while ago a fella had a "Mink farm"...and over the years many of the minks did the "Great Escape"....Not sure if any stole a motorcycle and jumped the fence.....:D

Be that as it may...they are fairly common out my way , have plenty of places to live , hunt and den...and lots to choose from for their dinner.
Andy

8F30C589-C668-452B-9298-F88BE16E10D0.jpeg Like this?

How big was it? I have seen a ton of long-tailed weasels at our property in Washington and while out hunting in Oregon but have yet to see a mink in the wild.
Did it look like this?
803F0B8B-DFE3-40A1-9993-20D4FEAEB7D2.jpeg

The dog is about 7" between ear tips for size reference.

I thought it was a weasel but my wife, who knows more about animals, claimed it was a mink. It was chewed on when I found it, our dog found it first.

Be glad your dog didn't find it alive.:eek:
Our's thought she would drag one out from under a large rock on Stuart Island.
They both came out with the mink attached to the dogs lower lip. Not much damage
to the lip, but oh my Gawd! What a stink! Mink have a scent gland like a skunk.:eek::eek::eek:

The dog got a bath and a liberal dousing of Esti Lauder. A couple of quarts of tomato
juice would have been cheaper.:rolleyes:

This mink was about 24"
Looked the size of a ferret
Was just coal shiny BLACK.

Escaped mink don't last too long they lack the "hide" factor and are taken; per web sites

Be glad your dog didn't find it alive.:eek:
Our's thought she would drag one out from under a large rock on Stuart Island.
They both came out with the mink attached to the dogs lower lip. Not much damage
to the lip, but oh my Gawd! What a stink! Mink have a scent gland like a skunk.:eek::eek::eek:

The dog got a bath and a liberal dousing of Esti Lauder. A couple of quarts of tomato
juice would have been cheaper.:rolleyes:
That all depends on the Dog. Our Beagel, Barney Miller, nailed one without a problem. He has also gotten a Possum and a Raccoon. He's more of a Lover than a Fighter but he does get the job done!:):):)

Our old cat got 5 weasels around the chicken coop that I know about. They all look the same, dark brown on top light tan underneath. Much the same coloration as a Pine squirrel. Black wouldn't be the color of a common weasel.

Our old cat got 5 weasels around the chicken coop that I know about. They all look the same, dark brown on top light tan underneath. Much the same coloration as a Pine squirrel. Black wouldn't be the color of a common weasel.
Weasels are viscous little critters. How does your cat look?

Weasels are viscous little critters. How does your cat look?

He did really well, surprised me. I've had a lot of cats out here and most don't last long, he lasted almost 15 years. He was almost 20 lbs in his best days but usually was around 14ish. Had a lot of injuries over the years, had a big chunk missing out of his shoulder one morning. Got cauliflower ear and had to have it stitched back together, it was always pretty twisted and hard afterward. Best cat I ever had, named him Buddy. The lady who owned the Mist store raised Bobcat's and a Lynx, had them in cages outside in a fenced area on the side of the store for years, anyone could go look at them. She was friends w/a local 'cat' lady. They bred a Bobcat w/a cat. 1st generation of kittens looked like normal cats, I got 2 of the 2nd gen. They had some pretty cool coloration, the boy last about 6 months and disappeared, his name was Sinister. His sister, named Dexter lasted many years and had 2 litters. Buddy was from her 1st litter, we kept him and one other boy named Cage. About 6 years ago a coyote came through and got Dexter, Cage and a little dog we had before we got him. Buddy managed to survive. I had to put him down a couple springs ago. Kids were pretty bummed and wanted another cat. I told them we'd need to get 3 in order to get 1 that would survive. My wife found 3 brother kittens, all black, couldn't even tell them apart. 1st one to go showed up one morning all busted up dragging himself home, not good. 2nd one just disappeared after about 6 months. We still have 1, he's already had a run in w/a coon and lost some flesh. He bailed off the 2nd floor deck one night getting chased by something, made an awful racket, we thought he must be dead but saw footprints in the snow heading into the brush. He sh*t all over the side of the house as he was falling, he showed up the next morning. He's a very cautious cat but actually likes to be outside more than in, we encourage him to spend his nights indoors. He does a lot this time of year but not always.

Anyway.....you asked and I don't have a short answer for anything :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads