JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
M&P is made in USA by S&W.
SR9 is made in USA by Ruger
Kahr makes striker fired guns in the USA.
FNS is made by FN in USA.

XD's are made in Croatia
Walther PPQ, etc are made in Germany
Glock and Steyr are made in Austria(some Glocks made in USA).

I guess Glock hasn't realized it was such a big deal;)

It has been said many times (I just tried to find the original source but couldn't, so take this with a grain of salt) that Glocks account for more accidental/negligent discharges in the US than all the other handguns combined.

If that is true, it does not necessarily mean that "Glocks are unsafe" (after all, there are more Glocks than any other pistols, except maybe 1911s; Glocks are issued to police departments where they are handled quite intensively; Glocks are bought by complete noobs who know nothing about any firearms except the fact that Glocks are reliable), but the lack of external safeties and the necessessity to pull the trigger when field-stripping are the only features I can think of that might contribute to the AD/ND rates.

EVERY time I field strip my glocks I pull the trigger and, and............ NO NDs!!!

It does not make it a safe practice, sorry. You are essentially using your brain as the safety mechanism, which is fine.

However, do not be so sure of yourself. You are a human being, the weakest link. You can get tired, or angry, or rattled, or disturbed by something, without realizing that. You can be sleepy, a bit drunk, consumed by emotions, living through a tragedy, or whatever. You can make a mistake. So can I.

A design that FORCES you to pull the trigger when you do not intend to fire is fundamentally flawed. Sorry about that. And yes, Glocks are great weapons, among the best, but there is no need to defend the shortcomings of the 30-year old design.

Frankly I would rather have my money going to blue collar workers building building an FN then a white collar guy who is distributing a gun made in Croatia.

The HQ is not just paying salaries to the "white collar guys" - it is paying corporate taxes, sponsoring the NRA, etc. so the money eventually goes back to help you and your community.

Buying American is not patriotic, it is the selfish thing ever, which is why it is always the best possible choice, unless the domestic products are non-competitive (this was the case with cars in early-mid 90s). There are truly great American-made handguns, you are not sacrificing anything by choosing them, so in a tie-break situation where you are split between 2 manufacturers, it makes a lot of sense to choose the one closer to you.

Only if your an idiot and are pulling the trigger when you're unaware of the weapon's status. That is on you not the pistol.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, AD/ND in the US every year. You can be quick to label all of those people "idiots" (which is actually a statement on your judgment), but that is not the point.

The point is: it should not matter if somebody is an "idiot" by your definition. "Idiots" are people too, surrounded by other people. The human mind is volatile and unreliable, so a field-stripping method that does not require pulling the trigger is safer, and therefore superior. One should only pull the trigger when one wants to fire, period - this should be the only purpose of the trigger pull ingrained in muscle memory, no exceptions.

For the purpose of this discussion, S&W M&P supports disassembly without pulling the trigger (in addition to the Glock-style procedure). The method is explained in the manual, and should be recommended. Follow the frigging manual, do yourself a favor.

M&P is made in USA by S&W.
SR9 is made in USA by Ruger
Kahr makes striker fired guns in the USA.
FNS is made by FN in USA.

XD's are made in Croatia
Walther PPQ, etc are made in Germany
Glock and Steyr are made in Austria(some Glocks made in USA).

when you say "made" in usa are they like forged here? or just assembled?

No way, way no day would I own a weapon that requires a special gizmo to disassemble it.

We are discussing a case where you have 2 options to choose from.

I have owned over a dozen Glocks and have been through the disassemble process thousands of time without sending a round someplace undesirable.

Dude, it is not about YOU - think about it for a second. YOU are as infallible as the Pope. You will never have a bad day, or make a mistake, or get old. You are the definition of awesomeness. But you need to stop playing with people's egos by calling AD/ND victims idiots.

Because chances are, some of readers ARE "idiots" by your definition. And those "idiots" have innocent families, they are surrounded by innocent neighbors who do not deserve to be shot (if anyone ever "deserves" an AD/ND). Even if nobody gets hurt every AD/ND hurts our common case and gives the shooting community bad rep. If there are weapons that do not FORCE you to pull the trigger, I would expect responsible gun owners to promote, recommend and praise them, not dismiss them with arrogant name-calling.

when you say "made" in usa are they like forged here? or just assembled?

Made in America. Guns are not normally made like cars where parts from all over the world are assembled in America and thus considered American made.

Springfield Armory does assembling of parts made in Brazil for their 1911 series of guns, but beyond that Ruger, S&W, and Karh all make their guns completely in the USA. FN makes some guns overseas but the FNS/FNX/FNP are all 100% made in the USA too.

Made in America. Guns are not normally made like cars where parts from all over the world are assembled in America and thus considered American made.

Springfield Armory does assembling of parts made in Brazil for their 1911 series of guns, but beyond that Ruger, S&W, and Karh all make their guns completely in the USA. FN makes some guns overseas but the FNS/FNX/FNP are all 100% made in the USA too.

I see, cool thanks for clarifying that for me.

I think out of all of the ones mentioned here, I really like the look of the M&P9c (or the full size). That will probably be what I check out first once I finish my ar build.

Thanks guys, all the suggestions are very much appreciated! You're all great!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top