JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
I'm not familiar with all the gun makers so I come to you guys.. the experts in the area =)

I love the look of glocks, but I'd rather buy something made here if there is something of equal quality and appearance. Need something small (have small hands), easy to use (have arthritis) and maybe something that is able to accept a light on the front of it. Price range is 500-1000

Thanks guys!

Do you want it made here, or made by an American company here? If made by an American company, then the M&P is your answer. If just made here, you can get a U.S. made Glock as stated above, or a FNH FNS/FNX.

Last Edited:
Yes, I wanted to also say many Glocks are now made in the US. My Glock 19 was. They will be stamped with US instead of Austria,and also have the proof marks from Georgia on them. My Glock 22 was made in Austria. Just look at the gun, it will tell you where it was made.

I have several Glock models. (19 - made in US, 26 -US & 23 Austria) My son has an M&P 9mm FS and I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40 (also have a 9mm barrel and mags). I will tell you that all the pistols mentioned are excellent so you can't go wrong.

That said I think my Shield may be my new favorite handgun.

thats a nice looking handgun! will definitely give them a closer look

Just FYI You can now purchase Glocks that are made in USA.YouTube
oh wow I didnt know that, nice. I guess eventually I'll just have to get two handguns. Wife will need one xD

Do you want it made here, or made by an American company here? If made by an American company, then the M&P is your answer. If just made here, you can get a U.S. made Glock as stated above, or a FNH FNS/FNX.
I meant crafted and assembled in USA =) I wasn't very clear, my bad

Ruger is made in the USA. Exceptional quality for the price and they stand behind the product.
Ok, yeah I was looking at a few of their smaller guns. I like them

Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback!

S&W Sigma / SD line - so much like a Glock they got sued.

Take down the with the same little nibbly levers - so might not be best with arthritis. But suggested retail is $350 and that will get you a laser, different sights or ammo for a $500 budget.
YouTube Sigma vs Glock
sigma vs glock - YouTube

SD vs Glock by someone from these forums
Better Than Glock (S&W SD40VE) - YouTube

If you get an M&P, you'll want to keep a small tool with your clean kit for take down. I carry a leatherman and that type of thing works.
They have one built into the grip, but it isn't that easy to get undone (if it is easy you'll worry about losing it...)
Of course you can pull the trigger too, more Glock-like.

Some of the smaller striker fired guns have very stiff springs to reduce felt recoil, and that makes them hard to cycle with arthritis. The mouse guns can be very "snappy" with uncomfortable recoil. If you don't shoot much, it won't be a big deal but if you want to have fun at the range, it might not be comfortable to shoot often. I've got pretty bad arthritis in my hands with some finger joints pretty much destroyed. I shoot my Ruger SR9c quite often and have learned better methods of racking the slide to make it easier. I'm sure you can do the same with others.

Before you make the final decision, try to shoot and cycle the guns as much as possible .

That said I think my Shield may be my new favorite handgun.

I really like the comfort of the Shield, but I can't shoot worth a darn with it. I'm much
more accurate with the other guns that I own.

But all are great suggestions, it comes down to personal preference. Best bet is to rent
or borrow a couple you are interested in and try them out.

If you get an M&P, you'll want to keep a small tool with your clean kit for take down. I carry a leatherman and that type of thing works.
They have one built into the grip, but it isn't that easy to get undone (if it is easy you'll worry about losing it...)
Of course you can pull the trigger too, more Glock-like.

Just pull the trigger, no need to carry a special to tool to disengage the sear.

Just pull the trigger, no need to carry a special to tool to disengage the sear.

That is how most negligent discharges happen.

It is highly recommended to get into the habit of field-stripping M&Ps (except Shields) using the frame tool at the bottom of the grip (also used for changing backstraps). It is right on the pistol, no need to carry anything - turn it 90°, pull out, and use it as described in the manual.

Just FYI You can now purchase Glocks that are made in USA.YouTube

Glock is an Austrian corporation, so even if some of its products are made in the USA, most of the profits flow back to Europe (similarly how Apple products are assembled in China yet most the money goes back to the US headquarters).

Ruger and S&W are the major US pistol manufacturers, plus there is a number of smaller ones (Springfield Armory, Para, Kel-Tec, ...).

It is highly recommended to get into the habit of field-stripping M&Ps (except Shields) using the frame tool at the bottom of the grip (also used for changing backstraps). It is right on the pistol, no need to carry anything - turn it 90°, pull out, and use it as described in the manual.

I guess Glock hasn't realized it was such a big deal;)

It's probably a good thing to do and I have used it a couple of times.

By dipsticks that shouldn't have guns

If a person NDs while he is getting ready to clean his gun,he needs to give them away.
EVERY time I field strip my glocks I pull the trigger and,and............
NO NDs!!!
Cause I was smart enough to MAKE SURE THE GUN WAS EMPTY FIRST
Always thought it was stupid for people to say how dangerous it is that you have pull the trigger on the glock to strip it.
How dangerous is an unloaded gun,pointed in a safe direction?

OK so is the M&P made in the USA or in Germany? I know the XD is Croat.
I know there is a couple more small manufacturers that are making poly guns here now,but can not talk of the quality. I've held them but wasn't that interested. (ISSC?)

Glock is an Austrian corporation, so even if some of its products are made in the USA, most of the profits flow back to Europe (similarly how Apple products are assembled in China yet most the money goes back to the US headquarters).

Ruger and S&W are the major US pistol manufacturers, plus there is a number of smaller ones (Springfield Armory, Para, Kel-Tec, ...).

Springfield produces their parts in Brazil and then the guns are assembled in the US. The XD is made in Croatia. Frankly I would rather have my money going to blue collar workers building building an FN then a white collar guy who is distributing a gun made in Croatia.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top