JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Obviously there are different types of casting. The method that Ruger uses for it's firearm products is the same technology that Precision Castparts Corp uses on the turbines that it makes for jet engines. Not only are they investment cast (lost wax method) but are TCS (thermally controlled solidification). This is what's needed to make a cast part free of voids. Also, many high tech materials can not be forged, but have to be cast and the direction of the grain is easier to control in a casting process vs. forging. Not saying that Ruger uses the same alloys that PCC does, but they aren't using plain ol aluminum either! I'll see if I can dig up the testing of a Ruger (cast) bolt vs a competitors (forged) bolt. The Ruger lugs had a higher shear strength.

I understand that many people will never shake the stigma of a cast part, though.

If I remember correctly, Pine Tree Castings is the supplier of Caspian frames. Pine Tree is Ruger.

Exactly- and their are known documented instances of Smiths finding voids when doing checkering or GS fitting work. It's a known issue. As said previously though Caspian has the track record that their process is up to snuff on a function level, not arguing that.

I have nothing against casting in and of itself like say MIM, lots of companies use it. The problem comes in when a company goes for the lowest bid without regard for quality and you see a higher percentage of breakages (Ala' Kimber).

I have nothing against casting in and of itself like say MIM, lots of companies use it. The problem comes in when a company goes for the lowest bid without regard for quality and you see a higher percentage of breakages (Ala' Kimber).

Agreed!

I am a big fan of Ruger! Just got the SR1911 and LOVE it, had a Mark III hunter that regret getting rid of, a couple of the 10-22 riffles, and the P98 was my first "new" handgun. None of them has ever given me an issue and they were all super affordable. I am also a big Colt fan but have yet to purchase one.

Very rare and local to the Puget Sound area. D-Max made in Auburn Washington. Not too many of these were made. A short run in the late 80's to early 90's.

d-max002.jpg
d-max006.jpg

Not everyone can afford a custom/hand made firearm. I am sure they are well made guns but I would never think of having one as a carry piece.

That's kinda flawed logic there. And FWIW the DW's, although creeping up to too expensive, can still be found for a heck of a deal considering what you get!

Not everyone can afford a custom/hand made firearm. I am sure they are well made guns but I would never think of having one as a carry piece.

I can understand the "logic" about buying an expensive tool, especially when you feel you can get by with one that costs a lot less.

However, I've owned several 1911s, most of them Colts. The Dan Wesson is one fine firearm. Confidence in your weapon is utmost when carrying one that may have a serious use. I'm very confident with my CBOB. My life, and the life of my friends and family members is worth much more than any gun either of us can carry.

I have owned a 1911 and never felt I could trust it after the 1st shot. I am sure some of you have 1911's that you can bet your life with but I'll stick to my M&P. Plus for the price of an expensive 1911 I can have a couple really nice M&P's right?

I have an S&W M&P 45 and thought it was a great gun until I put the Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit from Apex Tactical into it. Now it's an amazing gun. Trigger is now crisp, right at 5 lbs, no longer gritty, and with a clearly tangible reset. The whole kit cost a whopping $89 and the online videos enabled me to install it myself in less than an hour. Most people say it beats the M&P Pro version for less than the extra cost of an M&P pro.

My Beretta M9, although its an Italian brand, has the elusive "Made in USA" etched right into the slide, and I am damn proud to have such a fine firearm, that is made in this wonderful country. Believe me knowing you own an American made handgun, even if it is an Italian brand, and its the same gun that the military uses for our soldiers overseas to defend themselves with, is just a great feeling.

Also while I may be poor with aiming the firearm, my brother who is much more proficient says the factory sights the handgun comes with are dead on accurate.

okay...not sure what that has to do with the OPs question about American made guns.

If you don't want to carry a 1911, that's fine. There are plenty of people who do. again not sure what this has to do with the OP's question...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top