JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over the last six years or so, I have purchased three bolt action .22 rifles from three different manufacturers (Ruger, Marlin, and Savage), ranging in price from $180 to $400. All three of these rifles have come from the factory with either having the sights canted, or the holes for mounting a scope being drilled off center, with the Marlin being the worst offender with extremely canted sights, and off centered holes. At the same time, I own a Marlin model 60 from the 70s, and a Ruger 10/22 from around a decade ago, that have perfect, laser straight sights (the 10/22 also has centered holes, the Model 60 isn't drilled and tapped). I don't personally own any "vintage" bolt action .22s, but I have shot many through friends and family, and I don't ever remember having problems with canted sights or off centered mounting holes.

I understand that these brands could be considered "entry level" or "budget" .22s, but that does not excuse it, when this has never been a widespread issue in the past. It also doesn't seem like just a "fluke" or that I got unlucky, when three rifles, from three different manufactures have the same problem. We all know Marlin has had terrible quality control for years now, but what's with Savage and Ruger? I was actually shocked that my Ruger .22 had mounting holes drilled off center. I have never had any problems with the half a dozen other Ruger firearms I own.

So is this just the norm now, in regards to American .22 rifles? Are there any American companies that still have decent quality control for their .22s, or is that a thing of the past? It seems like you can't buy an entry level .22 rifle that doesn't have problems from the factory anymore.

Last Edited:
I picked up a 10/22 a few years ago that was spot on, both the iron sights and the mounting holes. I shot a little Savage 64 several years ago that was fine also, and they are cheap as they come. They could be had for under $100 last I checked about 10 years ago. I think Certaindeaf is right about checking the gun. I always inspect any firearm before I buy it. I almost got a Barretta with a half-painted sight one time.

It isn't just .22 rifles...
At the last muzzle loading show I was at...I saw two custom muzzle loading rifles , made by someone who should know better...
With the front sights on backwards.

As stated by bionic knees....quality control has gone down on many things...firearms especially.
Inspect before buying...or if buying on here...ask for details and detailed pictures...or a chance to check out the firearm in person.
Andy

Shortly after the 10/22 takedown was released, I bought one brand new from cabelas. Took it out plinking and it ran like crap. After getting home to clean it, I realized it was completely missing the extractor parts. I had made it less than halfway through a magazine before bagging it up at the range. I definitely didn't see anything go flying off ,or hear anything break while shooting. My unscientific conclusion was that this brand new rifle had shipped out missing a few critical parts.

How come I never get the lemons?
2302405_0.png

Over the last six years or so, I have purchased three bolt action .22 rifles from three different manufacturers (Ruger, Marlin, and Savage), ranging in price from $180 to $400. All three of these rifles have come from the factory with either having the sights canted, or the holes for mounting a scope being drilled off center, with the Marlin being the worst offender with extremely canted sights, and off centered holes. At the same time, I own a Marlin model 60 from the 70s, and a Ruger 10/22 from around a decade ago, that have perfect, laser straight sights (the 10/22 also has centered holes, the Model 60 isn't drilled and tapped). I don't personally own any "vintage" bolt action .22s, but I have shot many through friends and family, and I don't ever remember having problems with canted sights or off centered mounting holes.

I understand that these brands could be considered "entry level" or "budget" .22s, but that does not excuse it, when this has never been a widespread issue in the past. It also doesn't seem like just a "fluke" or that I got unlucky, when three rifles, from three different manufactures have the same problem. We all know Marlin has had terrible quality control for years now, but what's with Savage and Ruger? I was actually shocked that my Ruger .22 had mounting holes drilled off center. I have never had any problems with the half a dozen other Ruger firearms I own.

So is this just the norm now, in regards to American .22 rifles? Are there any American companies that still have decent quality control for their .22s, or is that a thing of the past? It seems like you can't buy an entry level .22 rifle that doesn't have problems from the factory anymore.
Sounds like the same dude may be moonlighting between the three manufacturers…..

;):D

A long time ago my brand new Smith & Wesson model-13 .357 magnum developed a serious cant after like 20 rounds.. the barrel came unscrewed. You could easily take the barrel off by hand. Had my armorer shim and re-torque it.. and grind off the hammer spur and single-action notch.
Best pistol ever!
Miss you, Tommy!

QC has gone down tremendously across the board, not just guns but everything.
This is what happens when the bar is lowered so much so everyone can graduate high school without trying, and participation trophies are given out saying "everyone's a winner". The new generation of workers has no motivation or pride in their work, and with CRT and genderism garbage plaguing today's schools, it's all going to get much worse.

A long time ago my brand new Smith & Wesson model-13 .357 magnum developed a serious cant after like 20 rounds.. the barrel came unscrewed. You could easily take the barrel off by hand. Had my armorer shim and re-torque it.. and grind off the hammer spur and single-action notch.
Best pistol ever!
Miss you, Tommy!
As in….. "Tommy Gun"?

This is what happens when the bar is lowered so much so everyone can graduate high school without trying, and participation trophies are given out saying "everyone's a winner". The new generation of workers has no motivation or pride in their work, and with CRT and genderism garbage plaguing today's schools, it's all going to get much worse.
I don't think it has so much to do with today's political tripe as it does with most guns weighing more than a smartphone.

Kids today, I tell ya!

:rolleyes:o_O:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top