JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reprint Authorization below.

History that Makes one think of the degree
of Sacrifice that gave us this Nation

American Minute with Bill Federer
"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" -Nathan Hale
e3df6c5a-8f0f-459a-a8aa-e9bcb11e7727.jpg
"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" were the last words of 21-year-old American patriot Nathan Hale, who was hanged by the British without a trial on SEPTEMBER 22, 1776.

A Yale graduate, 1773, Nathan Hale almost became a Christian minister, as his brother Enoch did, but instead became a teacher at Union Grammar School.

When the Revolutionary War began in 1775, Nathan Hale joined a Connecticut militia and served in the siege of Boston.

a74c94c3-4b93-4219-b599-4f00891904e8.jpg

On July 4, 1775, Hale received a letter from his Yale classmate, Benjamin Tallmadge, who was now General Washington's chief intelligence officer:

"Was I in your condition...I think the more extensive service would be my choice. Our holy Religion, the honour of our God, a glorious country, & a happy constitution is what we have to defend."

e2ea5bb6-9956-4de8-86d5-dc08c9c98c2e.jpg

Nathan Hale accepted a commission as first lieutenant in the 7th Connecticut Regiment under Colonel Charles Webb of Stamford.

f1fc7309-b1f0-48eb-9b77-e687a27c3458.jpg

Tradition has it that Nathan Hale was part of daring band of patriots who captured an English sloop filled with provisions from right under the guns of British man-of-war.

f541857b-f51c-4c8f-ab59-8fba3311d6e0.jpg

Following the Battle of Brooklyn Heights, August 27, 1776, the British went from Staten Island across Long Island and were intent on capturing New York City.

a89cbc34-e945-4bfb-9235-7e66646c2941.jpg

General Washington was desperate to know British plans and wrote on September 6, 1776:

"We have not been able to obtain the least information on the enemy's plans."

Washington sought a spy to penetrate the British lines to get information.

6c535dfa-ac71-4107-bcf2-ff3e0bdc78c3.jpg

On September 8, 1776, Nathan Hale stepped forward as the only volunteer.

Knowing that the act of spying on the British, if caught, would be punishable by death, his fellow officer Captain William Hull attempted to talk him out it.

Hale responded:

"I wish to be useful, and every kind of service necessary to the public good becomes honorable by being necessary. If the exigencies of my country demand a peculiar service, its claim to perform that service are imperious."

dd49c6d6-17a1-4c50-b758-403a13476357.jpg

On September 12, 1776, Hale was ferried behind enemy lines to Long Island to discover British troop movements.

ce38f7b3-c934-4985-a8b3-de644bc7e637.jpg

On September 15, 1776, 4,000 British troops landed at Kip's Bay at the east end of 33rd Street and proceeded to capture New York City.

e0f37708-4c43-4574-a71f-265d4c3bcbcc.jpg

General Washington retreated to Harlem Heights on Manhattan Island's north end.

On September 21, 1776, Hale was captured by the "Queen's Rangers" commanded by an American loyalist, Lieut. Col. Robert Rogers.

63afcb6c-2e57-4822-b123-a4936807517c.jpg

General William Howe ordered Hale to be hanged the next morning.

Hale wrote a letter to his mother and brother, but the British destroyed them, not wanting it known a man could die with such firmness.

9c04949c-9f87-40fa-800d-549ef7b9d002.jpg

Hale asked for a Bible, but was refused. He requested a clergyman, but was denied.

Nathan Hale was marched out and hanged from an apple-tree in Rutgers' orchard, near present-day 66th Street and Third Avenue in New York City on SEPTEMBER 22, 1776.

3ae1bcb1-4f4d-4df6-9b19-8a7c2a938fc4.jpg

The Essex Journal stated of Nathan Hale, February 13, 1777:

"At the gallows, he made a sensible and spirited speech; among other things, told them they were shedding the blood of the innocent, and that if he had ten thousand lives, he would lay them all down, if called to it, in defense of his injured, bleeding Country."

<broken link removed>

abd979cc-03c5-4f82-ba7e-ea20613247d7.jpg

Nathan Hale may have drawn inspiration for his last words "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" from the well-known English play "Cato."

The play "Cato" was written by Joseph Addison in 1712, as Hale had been involved in theater while a student at Yale:
7aa6924b-59eb-4c0c-bb78-678819c32af6.jpg
"How beautiful is death, when earn'd by virtue!
Who would not be that youth? What pity is it
That we can die but once to serve our country."

Cato the Younger (95-46 BC), was a leader during the last days of the Roman Republic who championed individual liberty against government tyranny; representative republican government against a despotic dictatorship; and logic over emotion.

2f67a598-567e-43ba-a864-60448f14b284.jpg

Attempting to prevent Julius Caesar from becoming a dictator, Cato was know for his immunity to bribes, his moral integrity, and his distaste for corruption.

5840a577-18ee-448a-a0bf-e3bee38df98a.jpg

George Washington had the play "Cato" performed for the Continental Army while they were encamped at Valley Forge.

76ebcf78-6b78-424e-82a9-6e03f49995ad.jpg

American Heritage Magazine's article, "The Last Days and Valiant Death of Nathan Hale" (April 1964), gave fellow soldier Lieutenant Elisha Bostwick's description of Nathan Hale:

"He was undoubtedly pious; for it was remark'd that when any of the soldiers of his company were sick he always visited them & usually prayed for & with them in their sickness."

1c8f6176-a298-4a1c-867b-7ffc3fc83b75.jpg

Nathan Hale's nephew was Massachusetts Governor Edward Everett, who spoke at the dedication of the Battlefield right before Abraham Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863.

1959c8b3-0d17-4c8b-adc6-1dd062875bdf.jpg

Nathan Hale's grand nephew was well-known author Edward Everett Hale, who wrote:

"We are God's children, you and I, and we have our duties...Thank God I come from men who are not afraid in battle."

Capturing this patriotic spirit, American poet Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote in his poem, "Voluntaries" (1863):

"So nigh is grandeur to our dust,
So near is God to man,
When Duty whispers low, 'Thou must'
The youth replies, 'I can'"

American Minute is a registered trademark. Permission is granted to forward.
reprint or duplicate with acknowledgement to vwww.AmericanMinute.com

Thanks for posting Taku.

I just heard the story of Nathan Hale recounted on the radio earlier this week - interesting that I'm seeing it again, and glad :) The same program also mentioned Captain John Paul Jones who uttered the famous phrase "I have not yet begun to fight"

It is sad that so many in this country focus now on diversity than on being a unified people in a great nation. These patriots believed it far better to move on from the places, cultures and people they came from to join together under a common banner - freedom. It didn't matter where they came from, what language they originally spoke - they wanted to be Americans, and that was all that mattered. They gave their lives to earn the very liberty they so wanted. Today, that liberty is spit upon and taken away by people to sully the names of patriotism and liberty. We have come to a sad place in our own history. I hope the next generations wake up and see what we've so callously tossed aside.

BTW, for anyone that has cable, my wife and I have been enjoying the series "Turn" It's about the spy network that helped to win the American Revolution. Benjamin Tallmadge, George Washington, Robert Rogers, General Howe and others are all active characters. We haven't seen Nathan Hale yet, but he may appear in the next season.

Thanks for posting Taku.

I just heard the story of Nathan Hale recounted on the radio earlier this week - interesting that I'm seeing it again, and glad :) The same program also mentioned Captain John Paul Jones who uttered the famous phrase "I have not yet begun to fight"

It is sad that so many in this country focus now on diversity than on being a unified people in a great nation. These patriots believed it far better to move on from the places, cultures and people they came from to join together under a common banner - freedom. It didn't matter where they came from, what language they originally spoke - they wanted to be Americans, and that was all that mattered. They gave their lives to earn the very liberty they so wanted. Today, that liberty is spit upon and taken away by people to sully the names of patriotism and liberty. We have come to a sad place in our own history. I hope the next generations wake up and see what we've so callously tossed aside.

BTW, for anyone that has cable, my wife and I have been enjoying the series "Turn" It's about the spy network that helped to win the American Revolution. Benjamin Tallmadge, George Washington, Robert Rogers, General Howe and others are all active characters. We haven't seen Nathan Hale yet, but he may appear in the next season.

Yes, It is sad. But one correction. "We" didn't throw it away, we had it stolen froim us bu the education system and corrupt political system that we let breed over the past 50 years and did not respond in the correct manner to stop it.
It may have to be regained the same it was earned the first time now.
Blood gave us freedom and now it may take blood to keep it. Without freedom that blood means very little.

Yes, It is sad. But one correction. "We" didn't throw it away, we had it stolen froim us bu the education system and corrupt political system that we let breed over the past 50 years and did not respond in the correct manner to stop it.
It may have to be regained the same it was earned the first time now.
Blood gave us freedom and now it may take blood to keep it. Without freedom that blood means very little.

True. What I meant by "we" are those that have, for decade upon decade, allowed politicians that push for the changes in our education and political system by voting them in over and over and not holding them accountable. "We" are those Americans that chose to buy into a lie, to turn their backs on the American dream, and to look to the government as their savior. So, in that sense, I do believe that some "we" have in fact, thrown it away.

A great man among a generation of great men and women.

I recently read a very interesting book; "The 5,000 Year Leap" by W. Cleon Skousen. It covers some of the spiritual underpinnings of our Country and of our Founders.

True. What I meant by "we" are those that have, for decade upon decade, allowed politicians that push for the changes in our education and political system by voting them in over and over and not holding them accountable. "We" are those Americans that chose to buy into a lie, to turn their backs on the American dream, and to look to the government as their savior. So, in that sense, I do believe that some "we" have in fact, thrown it away.

Yeah I knew that. Just clarifying for others :)

Thanks for posting Taku.

Speaking of that here is the American Minute about John Paul Jones also.

American Minute with Bill Federer
"I have not yet begun to fight!" shouted John Paul Jones when asked if he was ready to surrender.
b6aba9cb-03e1-4dcf-ad12-aeca2677c7dc.jpg
"I have not yet begun to fight!" shouted John Paul Jones when the captain of the 50-gun British frigate HMS Serapis taunted him to surrender.

Their ships were so close their cannons scraped and masts entangled, yet his American ship Bonhomme Richard, named for Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac, refused to give up.

850655f7-5c4f-41cb-aeb4-719500b6388a.jpg

When two cannons exploded and his ship began sinking, John Paul Jones lashed his ship to the enemy's to keep it afloat.

b3836b3a-4635-462d-90f3-e8284f6e8a6b.jpg

After 3 more hours of fighting, the British surrendered.

This battle took place SEPTEMBER 23, 1779.

d65cf18c-31c9-4b4c-b480-927c37a20134.jpg

John Paul Jones is called the "Father of the American Navy," a title shared with Commodore John Barry.

76081def-e52a-421b-aae5-57be1a75dfa4.jpg

John Paul Jones commanded the Continental Navy's first ship, Providence, in 1775.

764d9173-ae8f-4b31-913c-061e5629a0c1.jpg

With 12 guns, it was the most victorious American vessel in the Revolution, capturing or sinking 40 British ships.

In 1778, sailing the Ranger, Jones raided the coasts of Scotland and England, striking terror and panic into the British Isles.

3d1ba1ce-599f-40cb-975b-85999f27c636.jpg

Just after midnight, April 23, 1778, Jones raided the British town of Whitehaven, and spiked the town's big defensive cannons to prevent them being fired.

89d78d9d-3045-4527-9900-68c649dda666.jpg

Jones sailed to Scotland, and seized silver plating adorned with the family emblem, from the estate of the Earl of Selkirk, who lived on St. Mary's Isle near Kirkcudbright.

For decades, British children would be scared hearing tales of the "pirate" John Paul Jones.

On May 8, 1783, Yale President Ezra Stiles gave an Election Address to the General Assembly of Connecticut:

"While we render our supreme honors to the Most High, the God of Armies;

Let us recollect...the bold and brave sons of freedom, who willingly offered themselves, and bled in the defense of their country...the (John) Manly's, the (John Paul) Jones's and other gallant commanders and brave seamen of the American navy...

Never was the profession of arms used with more glory, in a better cause, since the days of JOSHUA, the son of Nun."

572de47d-24b8-4194-a15f-b9e28efa6614.jpg

In 'A Brief Account of Religion and the Revolutionary War Chaplaincy,' James E. Newell recorded:

"John Paul Jones sought a man with a set of qualifications that indicated that the chaplain would also be Jones' private secretary."

d948267c-1373-49e5-ab2e-7d67e9b4176b.jpg

After the Revolution, Jefferson arranged for John Paul Jones to fight for Russia's Catherine the Great against the Muslim Ottoman navy in the second Russo-Turkish War.

Thomas Jefferson wrote to General Washington, 1788:

"The war between the Russians and the Turks has made an opening for our Commodore Paul Jones.

The Empress has invited him into her service. She insures to him the rank of rear admiral...

I think she means to oppose him to the Captain Pacha, on the Black Sea..."

ce38a045-6d35-44b6-85f8-1ee2fd925912.jpg

In his Narrative of the Campaign of the Liman, John Paul Jones wrote of victoriously sailing his 24-gun flagship Vladimir against the Muslim Turks by the Black Sea's Dnieper River.

4f410c60-a2c8-4876-8dfc-db6ef1d2653e.jpg

Thomas Jefferson wrote to M. Limozin, 1788:

"You have heard of the great victory (in the Black Sea) obtained by the Russians under command of Admiral Paul Jones, over the Turks commanded by the Captain Pacha."

9dcce53f-fd39-4d44-935e-f99927f0bdb8.jpg

Thomas Jefferson wrote to William Carmichael, 1788:

"I am pleased with the promotion of our countryman, Paul Jones.

He commanded...in the first engagement between the Russian and Turkish galleys...prov(ing) his superiority over the Captain Pacha, as he did not choose to bring his ships into the shoals in which the Pacha ventured...

I consider this officer as the principal hope of our future efforts on the ocean."

<broken link removed>

When the Empress of Russia wanted to award him the St. Anne Decoration, John Paul Jones asked Jefferson if this was permitted, to which Jefferson replied in 1791:

"In answer to your request to obtain and transmit the proper authority of the United States for your retaining the Order of St. Anne, conferred on you by the Empress (of Russia).

The Executive are not authorized either to grant or refuse the permission you ask."

34f9f40e-00dc-48ee-a0cb-1975e7396822.jpg

Shortly before he died, Jones was appointed as U.S. Consul in Paris to negotiate the release of captured U.S. Navy officers held in the Muslim dungeons of Algiers.

3e63bf97-d0b6-434b-89d6-a3bf7b5c6c81.jpg

Jefferson wrote to John Paul Johns, June 1, 1792:

"Sir, The President of the United States...thought proper to appoint you commissioner for treating with the Dey (governor)...of Algiers, on the subjects of peace and ransom of our captives...

It will be necessary to give you a history...

...On the 25th of July, 1785, the schooner Maria, Captain Stevens, belonging to a Mr. Foster, of Boston, was taken off Cape St. Vincents, by an Algerine cruiser;

and 5 days afterwards, the ship Dauphin, Captain O'Bryan, belonging to Messrs. Irwins of Philadelphia, was taken by another, about 50 leagues westward of Lisbon.

These vessels, with their cargoes and crews, 21 persons in number, were carried into Algiers..."

29ba347a-11c7-4498-b4e9-528f8729aced.jpg

Jefferson continued his letter to John Paul Johns, June 1, 1792:

"...We therefore gave...instruction to Mr. Lambe to ransom our captives, if it could be done for 200 dollars a man, as we know that 300 French captives had been just ransomed by the Mathurins (Catholic Religious Order), at a price very little above this sum... He proceeded to Algiers; but his mission proved fruitless.

He wrote us word from thence, that the Dey asked 59,496 dollars for the 21 captives...

In February, 1787, I wrote to Congress to ask leave to employ the Mathurins of France in ransoming our captives;

and on the 19th of September, I received their orders to do so, and to call for the money from our bankers at Amsterdam, as soon as it could be furnished..."

Jefferson ended:

"This expedient was rendered abortive by the revolution of France, the derangement of ecclesiastical orders there, and the revocation of church property...

It has been a fixed principle with Congress to establish the rate of ransom of American captives with the Barbary states at as low a point as possible, that it may not be the interest of those states to go in quest of our citizens in preference to those of other countries...

We look forward to the necessity of coercion by cruises on their coast."

7697b5e0-0c6c-44c5-b90a-4c7c3fb9c853.jpg

Thomas Jefferson wrote in April of 1792:

"President Washington wished to redeem our captives at Algiers and to make peace with them on paying an annual tribute. The Senate were willing to approve this...

He agreed he would enter into the provisional treaties with the Algerines, not to be binding on us till ratified here."

Thomas Jefferson wrote to Colonel David, 1793:

"I do not wonder that Captain O'Bryan has lost patience under his long continued captivity, and that he may suppose some of the public servants have neglected him and his brethren.

He may possibly have imputed neglect to me, because a forbearance to correspond with him would have that appearance, though it was dictated by the single apprehension,

that if he received letters from me as Minister Plenipotentiary of the United States at Paris, or as Secretary of State, it would increase the expectations of his captors, and raise the ransom beyond what his countrymen would be disposed to give and so end in their perpetual captivity.

But, in truth, I have labored for them constantly and zealously..."

373c6cc1-fbe6-4ac5-8f31-4f2adbde99da.jpg

Jefferson ended:

"The unfortunate death of two successive commissioners (John Paul Jones and Mr. Barclay) have still retarded their relief."

John Paul Jones died July 18, 1792 and was buried at Paris in St. Louis Cemetery for Alien Protestants.

During the French Revolution's Reign of Terror the cemetery was neglected and sold, resulting in John Paul Jones' body being lost track of.

When his grave was finally identified, President Theodore Roosevelt wrote February 13, 1905:

"The remains of Admiral John Paul Jones were interred in a certain piece of ground in the city of Paris...used...as a burial place for foreign Protestants...

The great service done by him toward the achievement of independence... lead me to...do proper honor to the memory of John Paul Jones."

The remains of John Paul Jones were transported to the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel in Annapolis, Maryland, where they are guarded 24 hours a day.

American Minute is a registered trademark. Permission is granted to forward.
reprint or duplicate with acknowledgement to vwww.AmericanMinute.com

Last edited by a moderator:
We were also Watching TURN. and look at episode 7 around 4 or 5 min into it when they show the blue sky. There is about a dozen vapor trails from Jets in it.:D:D:D:D

TURN is a damn good series. This is the 1st season. The antagonist, and the one its easy to hate is the guy that played thhe Norwegeon in "Hell on Wheels" if anyone saw that one. Here he plays a British captain.
A real sadistic azz.

TURN is a damn good series. This is the 1st season. The antagonist, and the one its easy to hate is the guy that played thhe Norwegeon in "Hell on Wheels" if anyone saw that one. Here he plays a British captain.
A real sadistic azz.

Yes he is. Even more so in season 2. I just wish the seasons were longer than 10 episodes. We can't wait for season 3, though no idea when that will come out.

By the way, "Manhattan" is a good series too - about the folks developing the first nuclear bomb down in New Mexico (with some trips up to Hanford too). A good watch for folks that like historical dramas.

Yes he is. Even more so in season 2. I just wish the seasons were longer than 10 episodes. We can't wait for season 3, though no idea when that will come out.

By the way, "Manhattan" is a good series too - about the folks developing the first nuclear bomb down in New Mexico (with some trips up to Hanford too). A good watch for folks that like historical dramas.

If you sub to Netflix, using roku box on your internet you can see season 3 and 4 :)
Netflix is only 7.99 a month for all the movies you can watch. With roku it goes right to your TV
Manhatten isn't on Netflix yet. Maybe I'll check Amazon?

If you sub to Netflix, using roku box on your internet you can see season 3 and 4 :)
Netflix is only 7.99 a month for all the movies you can watch. With roku it goes right to your TV
Manhatten isn't on Netflix yet. Maybe I'll check Amazon?

I thought Turn was only up to Season 2?

As for Manhattan, I believe it's only available through Hulu currently. We do subscribe to both Netflix and Amazon Prime, but we tried Hulu and were unimpressed.

I thought Turn was only up to Season 2?

As for Manhattan, I believe it's only available through Hulu currently. We do subscribe to both Netflix and Amazon Prime, but we tried Hulu and were unimpressed.

Turn is only up to season 1 on Netflix, it is hell on wheels that is up to 4
Is Turn at season 2 somewhere ?

OK Found Manhattan on Amazon but have to rent it there. Not part of prime.
Also found it on hulu with the commercials for free.
Turn season 2 they want 1.99 an episode. I'll wait LOL

OK Found Manhattan on Amazon but have to rent it there. Not part of prime.
Also found it on hulu with the commercials for free.
Turn season 2 they want 1.99 an episode. I'll wait LOL

Got it. We watched Turn Season 2 when it was airing on AMC. I imagine Season 2 will come out on Netflix once Season 3 airs on AMC - seems to be the pattern they follow on Netflix. As for Manhattan, Season 2 starts next month, so maybe they'll make it free after Season 2 begins to air?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top