National American Bar Association Asks States to Adopt Firearm Confiscation Laws

Discussion in 'Firearm-Related News' started by Joe Link, Aug 24, 2017.

1. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Silver Supporter

Unfortunately, this will never happen, the pharmaceutical lobbyists and their unlimited cash flow will ensure that never happens...

Political reform would need to occur first...

Diamondback and No_Regerts like this.
  2. Crohnos01

Crohnos01
    SW Washington
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Not to mention the snowflakes who's hearts break whenbyous say the word "asylum".

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Freedom is really overrated. At least we have the Kardashians.
    and lawyers

No_Regerts and notazombie like this.
  4. notazombie

notazombie
    Sweet freedom!

Kardashian was a lawyer.
    Full-circle conspiracy.

Slobray, Certaindeaf and nammac like this.
  5. Crohnos01

Crohnos01
    SW Washington

I will admit, i told my daughters when dating, bring home any race, creed, or ethnicity of guy they want as a boyfriend... Bring home a lawyer though and there's gonna be hell to pay.

What lawyers do as an accepted part of their business life on a daily basis on a whole would get my engineering license pulled. There appears to be no ethical governance that i can perceive. Have they helped us as gun owners? Sure. Was that their intention? Maybe... its just as likely that they argued just to make a name for themselves on the national stage and accidentally helped us. None of this is new though... I believe it is however getting worse as more and more idealistic individuals enter the legal profession without any grounding in reality which allows passage of these Pollyanna type laws such as we have been discussing.

Anyway, if you are or have a secret desire to be a lawyer, good for you.... i just despise your choice of profession. I could test the storage capacity of the cloud citing personal experiences of why I came to that opinion.

Certaindeaf and notazombie like this.
  6. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

I'd like to reiterate this x100. Lawyers are (surprisingly) like cops. Everyone hates them until they need them.

Dungannon likes this.
  7. notazombie

notazombie
    Sweet freedom!

I could probably say the same thing about a realtor or mechanic too. You guys aren't so special:D.

Slobray likes this.
  8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Unless they are trying to take away your freaking rights.
    Just saying, sir.

Slobray, ob1, No_Regerts and 2 others like this.
  9. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

The problem is they heard about it, thought about it and Forgot about It. In that order!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Slobray and albin25 like this.
  10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

upload_2017-9-13_8-36-32.jpeg

whatever

11. MrNatural

MrNatural
    Oregon

Gentlemen, gentlemen, GENTLEMEN! You're overthinking this.

KillAllTheLawyers.jpg

KillAllTheLawyers2.jpg
    Remember, for best results: Keep It Simple ;)

HB of CJ likes this.
  12. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

13. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42N, 123W Kinda

I have a close younger relative fresh out of the bar exam which he passed. Discussed the US Constitution and the duties and responsibilities of citizenship. His eyes glazed over. Could not hold a meaningful discussion. He did tell me they had only one semester of Constitutional Law. His knowledge of such was very low. And he is a lawyer!!! Very sad. :( :(

Slobray, Crohnos01 and nammac like this.
  14. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

Gibbs Rule #13: "Never, EVER involve lawyers." There are six more rules about 'em, but as DiNozzo said, "You only need to know number 13, it's the umbrella one."

Crohnos01 and notazombie like this.
  15. Outrider

Outrider
    Oregon

You seem to have difficulty accepting that the field is made up of individuals who vary. Some are good and some are bad.

As for ethics, there are normal standards that make sense. Lawyers are not supposed to lie, steal, etc. -How well the ethical rules are followed, applied, or enforced varies by jurisdiction. Some states are stricter than others.

When the jurisdiction does not enforce its ethical rules, unscrupulous individuals will engage in unethical behavior because it gives them an advantage in trying to obtain a win for their client.

"Bad personal experiences" and "understanding what lawyers are supposed to do for their client" are separate topics that can overlap.

There was nothing accidental with what Alan Gura achieved. There are many interviews and stories where his approach is discussed and dissected. Your refusal to give credit where it is due exposes how you are operating on emotion instead of logic and fact.

It is getting worse but not for the reason you cited. If you want to know how people in power want to treat you, look at how the TSA operates at the airports. That is what the government would like to do everywhere if it could.

The Pollyanna stuff is to sell the idea of "taking away liberty" to people who do not consider the pluses and minuses of policies. "If it saves one life..." is all they need to hear.

If someone cites his bad experience being the victim of gun violence as his reason for hating all guns, do you adopt his opinion on firearms as your own? Or do you distinguish between people who are good and those who are bad?

It is about people. A good person who is a lawyer can help you out of a jam. A bad person who is a lawyer can make the situation much worse.

Hating all lawyers makes about as much sense as hating all guns.

Dungannon likes this.
  16. Crohnos01

Crohnos01
    SW Washington

Outrider, you are the one exposing yourself in an emotional arguement here, not me. I never said I hate anyone... your words not mine... I do believe hate is an emotion, or do you want try to refute that as well? Are you sure your not a liberal? Hate seems to be their goto word for anything they don't like.

I am not refusing to give credit to anyone. Re-read my statement.... i said "maybe" the attorney did it as a service to gun owners, however its just as likely that the guy did it to further his own agenda. Your emotions are running away with you again....You read some stories somewhere and take that as fact? Wow.... just wow... let me guess....Of course it must be true... it was on the internet?

I said I despise the profession. Lawyers on the whole in my experience are greedy and self serving, twisting fact and fiction to their benefit. Even when caught red handed, the ABA does nothing. No doubt there are exceptions... maybe you're one... otherwise probably in Mayberry where Andy Griffith is Sheriff perhaps. Here in the real world, I keep one hand on my wallet, and stay as far away from attorneys as is humanly possible.

Ok, enough of this... I fell into the trap of wrestling with the pig as some else mentioned. All I am doing is getting dirty and the pig is enjoying it... I don't really care if you find my position biased or not. It has served me well for most of my adult life and its going to take a lot more than your half baked platitudes to change my opinion at this point. Deal with it... or don't... I don't really care either way.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  17. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

There's also "profession versus person", too... my late family lawyer was a paragon of ethics, and the profession was greatly diminished by his passing. (He had some choice things to say about his peers while I was doing a kind of "internship" one summer... granted, my "internship" was take out the trash when needed and read his law books in between.) Sort of like, while I diss pols without mercy, one of my local legislators is an old classmate who at my last GOP convention was the only one to treat me as a fellow human being... and then ironically this year he doesn't even have flunkies return my calls while the lifer Pro Pol takes the time to personally write letters on the issues.

The world's getting stranger every day, that's for sure...

Crohnos01 likes this.
  18. Dungannon

Dungannon
    Vancouver
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I have family with a son that is extremely disturbed. They have spent well in excess of $100k, nearly going broke in the process, to get him committed. If he stays on his drugs he is largely catatonic; if he doesn't he scares the bejebus out of every one. He's an adult, and has his rights. And the mental health advocates are working hard to make sure this young man has the freedom to do as he pleases, when he pleases. The family doesn't know if he has a gun, but he would have no trouble getting one from a 'friend' if he wanted it. From my limited exposure he seems to have a fascination with edged weapons. If I were a betting person, I'd guess he'll get killed some day, and probably take someone out in the process. He's known to the police, but he's also a known mental case, so he goes to the psychiatric hospital for awhile and then on to the next residential facility. Believe me, his family is sick with worry about what he might do.

Many years ago, when my sister-in-law abruptly left her husband I went over and confiscated his guns and ammunition. I gave them back when I was sure he wouldn't harm himself. Was never worried he'd do anything to someone else, but he was so distraught that suicide seemed like a reasonable worry. Fortunately, he didn't object at the time and latter thanked me to taking that option off the table. I didn't point out that he could have taken his life by other methods. He later meet a good lady and they've been happily married for 15+ years. The weird thing is he was [and is] one of the most stable, unflappable people I've ever known. It was the only time I've known him to act so out of character.

19. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My friend, an ex PDX FD Captain told us the majority of suicides are NOT commited with a firearm. Self-Hanging is one of the preferable methods.

Confiscate ropes...protect the disturbed.

nammac likes this.
  20. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

Those are the kind of places I would most want to be carrying a gun...