JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In recent years I've got increasingly into NFA firearms and have a decent stamp collection going. I've toyed with the idea of getting into a machine-gun, but haven't taken the plunge. The pragmatic side of me (or cost-conscious, er, cheap, if you wish) has a hard time justifying said at today's going rates. On the flipside, few things have kept their value and increased exponentially like fully transferable machine-guns. Though all it would take for the value to go away is one stroke of a anti-RKBA's pen that makes them verboten.

All the aside, one item I keep coming back to is the American 180 submachine-gun in .22LR. They just look like a heck of a lot of fun. They're, relatively, cheap to feed. Parts and repair is handled by a company right here in Southern Oregon. On that point, I thought I'd toss this out for discussion:

Anyone have own one of these little buzz guns? How do you like it? What is a realistic price, circa Q4 2016 for a transferable specimen? Failing that, anyone play with the semi-auto only variant and, if so, how is it?

Thanks much. :)
In recent years I've got increasingly into NFA firearms and have a decent stamp collection going. I've toyed with the idea of getting into a machine-gun, but haven't taken the plunge. The pragmatic side of me (or cost-conscious, er, cheap, if you wish) has a hard time justifying said at today's going rates. On the flipside, few things have kept their value and increased exponentially like fully transferable machine-guns. Though all it would take for the value to go away is one stroke of a anti-RKBA's pen that makes them verboten.

All the aside, one item I keep coming back to is the American 180 submachine-gun in .22LR. They just look like a heck of a lot of fun. They're, relatively, cheap to feed. Parts and repair is handled by a company right here in Southern Oregon. On that point, I thought I'd toss this out for discussion:

Anyone have own one of these little buzz guns? How do you like it? What is a realistic price, circa Q4 2016 for a transferable specimen? Failing that, anyone play with the semi-auto only variant and, if so, how is it?

I picked up my American 180 on Tuesday getting a new gun and President on the same day. It's an interesting weapon and I'm learning about the unique magazine function before I go to the range. I purchased it from Ruben Mendiola in Miami. As I'm not far away I had the opportunity to visit his office (he does not have a traditional gun shop) with an appointment giving me an opportunity to view the weapon and speak with him at length. Every 180 he sells is sent to Val Cooper for evaluation and "tune up". During the 8 1/2 month wait the gun appreciated $2000 before I received it. Cooper has a device to record the rate of fire which he returns with the gun. I'll keep you posted after some range time if your interested.

Last Edited:
I get this e-mail all the time for Class III auctions and an American 180 popped up for $6,820.00

Gentlemen, with the election behind us the machine gun market is on solid ground. It is likely prices will continue or even accelerate their historically proven increase. This is to say, it's a good time to buy! In fact the future of NFA looks brighter than ever. We have added a new feature which will enable you to inquire directly and quickly with us. If you have interest in an item, have questions, want to sale or need to contact us, feel free to use the CHAT NOW feature. We look forward to serving you.

Auctions Ending Soon!

Colt M16A1 w/Extras @ $16500.00

thumb.jpg

M16 @ $13160.00

thumb.jpg

American 180 @ $6820.00

thumb.jpg

M2 Carbine @ $4800.00

thumb.jpg

HK SL8-1 @ $4500.00

thumb.jpg

M11A1 @ $4275.00

thumb.jpg

HK Operational Briefcase @ $3000.00

thumb.jpg

HK MP5SD Post Sample @ $2375.00

thumb.jpg

HK MP5SD Post Sample @ $2225.00

thumb.jpg

Available for immediate sale. No need to bid. We can end these listings. Please email OR CHAT NOW to speak with us directly.

Colt M16a1 US prop gun $29k

MP 40 matching C and R $19k

DIAS $35k

HK 53 $20k

HK 51 $19k

M16 $18k

M14 $15k

AC 556 folder $12k

AC 556 $9,500

M11 9mm LNIB $7k

M11 9mm $6,800

M16a2 NIB $32k

M16a1 HBAR NIB $29k

AC 556 folder $13k

AC 556 SS folder $14k

HK 51B $9,500

Group Ind Mini Uzi $16k

AC 556 as new in box $11k

MK 760 $6,500

ONLY A SMALL PORTION OF OUR GUNS ARE ON THIS LIST – SEE THE REST AT: www.atfmachinegun.com

MACHINE GUNS OWNERS – WE ARE BUYING!! Click for a quick offer.

image.jpeg The weapon has very little recoil and is a hoot to shoot. I try to fire short bursts and have no difficulty staying on target. Looking forward to shooting something other than paper in a safe place. Picked up a sweet MP-40 the same day which is also a very controllable weapon.

The weapon is a Wilson tube gun. I paid $12,990 in March and the dealer had several in stock to chose from. This one showed very little wear and the stock, which is known to loosen up, was tight. Two months after the purchase I observed the price on his remaining MP-40's had risen to $14,990.

I recently took delivery on my 180 about 6 weeks ago. It looks to have little use as there is almost imperceptible wear. It was purchased in March for $13K. Prior to delivery the gun was sent by the dealer to Val Cooper @ E&L in Oregon for a 'tune up' (whether it needs it or not) to certify function, replacement of any parts if necessary, and test firing. The weapon is returned clean and lubed. Included is some document the chronographs the rate of fire. My gun fired 59 rounds in 2.56 seconds for 1320rmp. Due to the pan magazine and winder there is a bit of a learning curve. You just don't load the mag, insert, cock, and fire away. There are a few simple things you must know. Took it to the range for semi-auto fire to get acclimated and save future possible embarrassment. Using iron sights at 50 yards, having no idea where the gun would actually shoot, I got a 166 shot group of about 6 inches virtually blowing out the center of the target. I was stunned to find the barrel barely warm as I was firing at a brisk pace. Full auto this Thursday. American 180.JPG

They are a very cool little rifle! I have repaired, (cleaned) a semi and FA version. Pretty well made little rifles. Only problem I had noticed that after running fa for thousands of rounds they actually needed to be cleaned once and awhile to keep functioning 100%..;) Only mechanical problems I noticed was recoil spring replacement/wear. And that's pretty common

From the manual: 180 manual.jpg

Shot them plenty, but never bothered owning ones based on my shooting experiences with them. Regardless of what you read on the net, .22 smg's just aren't overly reliable. I want a gun I can pull the trigger on and know it'll run 100% all the time. The AM180 is not that type of gun IMHO, even after having the feed block replaced by E&L Manufacturing in Oregon. If they're nice and clean, and you have nice clean ammo, they'll run reliably until they get dirty. Shot them suppressed too and they have a tenancy to destroy suppressors, and they last even less time before coming dirty. I've shot and owned Norrell units as well and they were about the same, but with all the Ruger accessories available are a lot more fun to play with.
For what AM180's are running these days ($12,000 plus) and the cost of .22LR ammo, you're better off buy something like a Swedish K (make sure to get ones with the removable mag well that takes drum mags), Uzi or an M11/9 with a Lage upper.

Shot them plenty, but never bothered owning ones based on my shooting experiences with them. Regardless of what you read on the net, .22 smg's just aren't overly reliable. I want a gun I can pull the trigger on and know it'll run 100% all the time. The AM180 is not that type of gun IMHO, even after having the feed block replaced by E&L Manufacturing in Oregon. If they're nice and clean, and you have nice clean ammo, they'll run reliably until they get dirty. Shot them suppressed too and they have a tenancy to destroy suppressors, and they last even less time before coming dirty. I've shot and owned Norrell units as well and they were about the same, but with all the Ruger accessories available are a lot more fun to play with.
For what AM180's are running these days ($12,000 plus) and the cost of .22LR ammo, you're better off buy something like a Swedish K (make sure to get ones with the removable mag well that takes drum mags), Uzi or an M11/9 with a Lage upper.

I have run about 3,500 rounds through my gun now and have found that if one uses ammo suggested by Mr. Cooper (CCI Blazer) the weapon runs quite reliably. Early on I had some malfunctions but determined that if you miss a slot in the drum there is no pressure on the round to push it through the feed block. I take care to make sure the drum is properly loaded and the gun hums like a sewing machine. I've disassembled the gun once for a through cleaning but mainly wipe or brush accessible parts and add a drop of oil here or there. We'll see as time goes by.

Mine was a pre-86 dealer sample, Sent it off to Val for a tune up, I only ran Dynapoints through mine and it ran like a top. I ran a Bowers CAC-22 on mine, a stainless 22 can built on a 1" tube. Long discontinued I believe, but I may have one or two. As I'm sure you know, they are made in Oregon, and come with a no bullbubblegum lifetime warranty. An aluminum 22 can won't last long on this gun, you need one built for higher pressures like a 223 can. Of all the MG's I have owned through the years, the American 180 and the MP-5KSD were my favorites.

Back in the mid-70s I had the chance to play and enjoy one of the American-180s and we used CCI Mini-Mags and put several thousand rounds through the gun. It was also the first Laser Sight I had had ever seen. Later I got to see one mounted on a Tripod up on a Prison Guard Tower. It really made BELIEVERS out of some folks who thought they were pretty tough.:s0019::s0019::s0139:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top