JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sad for an Intel guy to be asking for AMD help (I may have to put an Intel Inside sticker on it!)...

... but I have a parts kit coming to me... hopefully it's as nice as it looks...

... unfortunately it's sans barrel - came in after the barrel ban (damn the BATFE).

My thoughts on the build (well, at least I'm going to get my money's worth out of the jigs)...

Parts count:

1) Receiver
2) US Muzzle break
3) US gas Piston
4, 5, 6) US Trigger group
7) US barrel??? I/O has barrels, but does a standard AK barrel work on an AMD-65???

Thoughts and therapy welcome...

Put in 6 gigs of DDR3 and make sure you liquid-cool that sucker.

:s0114: :D :s0112: :D :s0114: :s0112:

Good one...

... though it's looking like the barrel and muzzle break may be problematic since it's a short barrel... so I go with a long and screw up the ergo, or try to find one of the seemingly discontinued US extended length muzzle breaks... *gah*

Okay - found the tapco long muzzle brake and a gas piston! W00T

Now need to find a barrel... though I'm still working on the parts count if it's not a US made barrel... getting funky...

Okay - I think I've got my math to work... The AMD-65 is only going to have 16 "parts" by the federal standard:

<broken link removed>

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions - not present
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods - not present
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings - not present
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears - not present
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

... so "not to exceed 10" means for this build I need 6 parts...

Receiver, trigger, hammer, disconnector, muzzle brake, op rod...

... and viola! Ve are done!

... now I just need to find a barrel and NoDak needs to get the receiver back in stock... :confused:

... and I need to find someone to help me weld that extended brake onto the barrel to avoid having to "stamp collect" on this one...

what tools do you have building i have a welder. or you could

get a pps barrel and mag well build it up to fit the trunnion. this now shoots the cheap 7.62x25 ammo. a pps barrel will still need to have a extension welded to it.

not mine but i might build one if i get a kit

That's a nice one - I'm sticking with 7.62x39 on this one - too much invested in mags! :D

Finally found a nice barrel, and I have the tapco extended muzzle brake to make it "stampless" - I may take you up on the welding - I need to figure out what's the best way to do it (best way being the way that doesn't look like s**t but still meets BATFE edicts)...

That's a nice one - I'm sticking with 7.62x39 on this one - too much invested in mags! :D

Finally found a nice barrel, and I have the tapco extended muzzle brake to make it "stampless" - I may take you up on the welding - I need to figure out what's the best way to do it (best way being the way that doesn't look like s**t but still meets BATFE edicts)...

well the best way to keep it from looking like crap is to thread or press on then pin and weld over i personally don't like to put that much heat all away around the extension but have done so.

well the best way to keep it from looking like crap is to thread or press on then pin and weld over i personally don't like to put that much heat all away around the extension but have done so.

That was kind of my thought - I've done pressing and pinning, but not welding...

fingolfen

I am so glad you found an original barrel. May I persuade you to go the SBR route? I got a kit last summer and was about to do the same you have in mind. But, the SBR looks soooo cool! I paid the stamp and don't regret it. If you have the AMD barrel, so , so hard to find nowadays, that deserves a celebration! Celebrate building the way it was meant to be:woot:, sans the extra whole, of course :)

fingolfen

I am so glad you found an original barrel. May I persuade you to go the SBR route? I got a kit last summer and was about to do the same you have in mind. But, the SBR looks soooo cool! I paid the stamp and don't regret it. If you have the AMD barrel, so , so hard to find nowadays, that deserves a celebration! Celebrate building the way it was meant to be:woot:, sans the extra whole, of course :)

Will have to think about it - I still need to get my suppressor paperwork done...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top