JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not looking at magpul and was looking at the Troy Built first. Troy is on the top of my list right now.
the troy one is good.it clamps to the existing milspec bolt catch. the phase 5 replaces the milspec catch.

the troy is not a 1 piece design like the phase 5 but does have a tension set screw unlike the magpul

if you are unable to replace a bolt catch then id go with the troy. otherwise its phase 5 all the way for me.

i own both. they both do the same thing except the phase 5 looks better IMO. it was a bit more pricey than the troy but a $40 part on a $2500 AR isnt so bad.

if you are unable to replace a bolt catch then id go with the troy. otherwise its phase 5 all the way for me.

i own both. they both do the same thing except the phase 5 looks better IMO. it was a bit more pricey than the troy but a $40 part on a $2500 AR isnt so bad.

$40 is a great price when you put it like that haha.

$40 is a great price when you put it like that haha.
the thing with building ARs is that they dont cost much to get a reliable fully functional one. heck one of my budget builds was $360.

BUT THEN...

you catch the disease...

the next build turns into a $2500 build super quick because of THIS:

"o well for only $20 more i could have this better part" then you get addicted...

...and its "o well for only $200 more i could have this bad@$$ b!txhin trigger group that will make me shoot faster"

oh boy, and then once youre off the deep end its "o well for $350 i could have this super necessary red dot sight but i cant just have a red dot i NEED $200 magnifier but shoot, the flip mount is only $70 more... might as well"

and so on....LOL

the thing with building ARs is that they dont cost much to get a reliable fully functional one. heck one of my budget builds was $360.

BUT THEN...

you catch the disease...

the next build turns into a $2500 build super quick because of THIS:

"o well for only $20 more i could have this better part" then you get addicted...

...and its "o well for only $200 more i could have this bad@$$ b!txhin trigger group that will make me shoot faster"

oh boy, and then once youre off the deep end its "o well for $350 i could have this super necessary red dot sight but i cant just have a red dot i NEED $200 magnifier but shoot, the flip mount is only $70 more... might as well"

and so on....LOL

Never heard of this. :D

I've had two magpuls on ARs that have been run hard for years. Neither one has ever once failed. Don't know where the magpulphobia came from.

IMO they fit like DO-DO because they lack a set screw to take up the slop.

on the magpul ones i have, i had to shim between the bolt catch and the BAD lever. its almost as if magpul is telling you what youre buying with the name "BAD lever". lol. i do believe magpul makes great products except for this lever. it could use a set screw just like the troy lever and i would have zero complaints.

i own a couple magpul BAD levers. i got them for CHEAAAAAP. they work. they just fit sloppy without modification. the OP wanted to know what the best one was under $50. just was givin my .02 with the phase5 :D

IMG_4619.JPG Really like the fit n finish of the phase 5, works flawless.

I'm going with the phase 5 bolt release. I can't seem to find them in the local stores. Where is the best online store you have found to get them. Best meaning cheapest, cheapest shipping, promo codes for better cost? Thanks

I'm going with the phase 5 bolt release. I can't seem to find them in the local stores. Where is the best online store you have found to get them. Best meaning cheapest, cheapest shipping, promo codes for better cost? Thanks

Take your pick, Brownells or Midway always have sales & markdowns on a wide variety of parts.

PHASE 5 TACTICAL AR-15/M16 V2 EXTENDED BOLT RELEASE | Brownells

Phase 5 Tactical Skeletonized Side Plate Extension V1 BOLT ON Version 1 plate | eBay

Last Edited:
I have a tactical link on one AR and a magpul on another. They both work fine, but I agree about the magpul "slop" in this case, and like my tactical link better. It was even cheaper. Don't know if they are still around. I hate the bolt catch roll pin, to be honest though.

Roll pins are sometimes a issues , I run the New Frontier billet lowers and they use a machined threaded pin for the bolt catch as well as the dents for take down pins. I have had to use a tiny C-clip as a washer on one of my builds to take any slop out of the bolt catch. For the standard mil-spec bolt catch its no big deal being so small, but once you add the ambi trigger gaurd area bolt catch you can really see and feel the slop. I use joebob's and their shipping is always two days for free.

I have a tactical link on one AR and a magpul on another. They both work fine, but I agree about the magpul "slop" in this case, and like my tactical link better. It was even cheaper. Don't know if they are still around. I hate the bolt catch roll pin, to be honest though.

Last Edited:
I always just used my trigger finger to drop the bolt. Shoved the weapon against my shoulder keeping my eyes on the target while doing mag drops and reinsertions. Then when the new mag is slapped in, just reached up with my index finger to drop the bolt. One advantage of being left handed. Quicker easier mag changes with the AR15. Worked for me. Yikes! :)

But ... another neat cool gadget for us South Paws is ALWAYS appreciated!! Hee hee hee! :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top