JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I certainly DID NOT appriciate the amber alert. Totally different sound than a simple notification.

It could have caused a wreck, or perhaps got me killed in some accident. Pissed me off tge more I thought about it.
We all pay good money for our phones and contracts, and while I know they can snoop in our phones at any time they so choose..

By god dont wave that fact in my face.. Like when you hack in and send some motherbubbleguming Amber Alert I never opted to receive. My phone should not be considefed "public access" like it would be on Radio or TV.. Where alerts and "tests" can pop up whenever.

I think them being able to do Amber Alerts on my private devise is WRONG and sadly (for the victim) encourages me NOT to help.

Agreed completely. My phone is MINE. I pay for it and I should choose if it scares the hell out of me or not. I could even maybe have been ok with just a text. Either way I would have been annoyed.
Bunch of Crap. I got a galaxy cause I liked the tablet. Now I think a flip phone sounds great.

Am I the only person who thinks it is odd that the State is sending text messages to people driving down the highway? Haven't they been telling us for the past few years to NOT read or send texts while driving?

Now, I realize that not EVERYBODY who got those Amber Alert texts was driving, but it sounds like they're directed at cells that are in the vicinity of the highway.

"Left hand of the government, meet the Right hand of the government. The two of you should get to know one another."

Jim

I think the amber alert is a good thing. I'm sure the family is happy that it went across thousands of phones. Just that many more people to keep an eye out.

Agreed completely. My phone is MINE. I pay for it and I should choose if it scares the hell out of me or not. I could even maybe have been ok with just a text. Either way I would have been annoyed.
Bunch of Crap. I got a galaxy cause I liked the tablet. Now I think a flip phone sounds great.
Either opt out of the alerts or choose a phone that isn't WEA enabled (some flip phones are WEA enabled)

Every one laughs at my old phone, now I get to laugh.:D
No kidding. I have an old "smart phone" but hardly ever use most of it. Bought my Mom a "candy bar/drop phone" from malwart a few years ago and it was like $18 with all kinds of accessories and a holster.
Bought a phone card and "charged" it with $40 of time (like 2500 minutes period, not per month) for her to just have on her person/for emergencies and whatnot. She still has it and it works great.

I bought a phone to make calls or receive them from friends. Too many unwanted calls makes it annoying and I turn it off. Some folkes live on their phone, i am too old to spend that much time on a phone.

I would not have a phone that the government is going to call me at their will, amber alert or not.

My wife and I were in a restaurant and both our phones went off along with dozens of other patrons. I was trying to figure what was going on. If you want to turn it off on your iPhone go to settings, then notifications, scroll to the bottom to government alerts and then turn them off.

There is always this

upload_2015-5-15_17-10-31.png

or this

upload_2015-5-15_17-11-2.png

or this

upload_2015-5-15_17-11-34.png

My wife and I were in a restaurant and both our phones went off along with dozens of other patrons. I was trying to figure what was going on. If you want to turn it off on your iPhone go to settings, then notifications, scroll to the bottom to government alerts and then turn them off.

Says you can't turn the Presidential alert off ??

So I was pretty thrown yesterday when my PHONE started going nuts with a Amber Alert. This came as a Text but my phone made the same sound as the TV or radio does with an emergency alert. It was LOUD. I heard it and thought "oh no SHTF sooner than I thought".
That was a first for me on my phone. Glad the kid is safe but damn that scared the crap out of me when it started blaring. Since when do they access phones??!! It was crazy and had I been driving it might have made me crap myself.
+1 same exact response i had, when this happened to me...:D

You can generally just turn those off. I certainly did. Settings -> Messages, then something like Emergency Alerts.

Or you can give your phone a custom ROM and not worry about a lot of things anymore.

My only comment on this was, shouldn't the Amber Alert be done in a localized manner?

Dial 911 on the Road, you will get the Nearest Dispatch.

Amber Alerts for North Bend... a wee bit out of my Territory!, In Fact, If you cut the Distance, of me, to North Bend, In Half, Then in HALF again, I would still think I should not get one, by the logic of making a 911 call!

But then, thats the GuberMent for you, At Work.... But, what would I know, anyways, I only designed my Companies Phone System in VietNam, and I was an OJT in telephones then, Outside my MOS of repairing Airplane Radios.... (Oh, when the Division Commander saw the work I had done, And I Heard the Comments {Nobody looks UP when they are walking, except LRRPS & Seals :p } the General made, I took the chance to use Open Door Policy, and get a Promotion, WHICH I was due for, but was Outside my MOS!!!! (Yes, I was On a telephone repair, when he and the CO walked by... I was hooking up the last of that Brand New Phone System!!!!)

the day was sorta special, our company received combat air medals of some sort: not me, I was only part of a detachment.... :confused::eek:

philip,
AKA:
"Trouble Shooter One Five", telephones 24/7... then Night Shift Avionics, 187th Assault Helicopter Company, TayNinh, RVN 69-70

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top