JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was pretty thrown yesterday when my PHONE started going nuts with a Amber Alert. This came as a Text but my phone made the same sound as the TV or radio does with an emergency alert. It was LOUD. I heard it and thought "oh no SHTF sooner than I thought".
That was a first for me on my phone. Glad the kid is safe but damn that scared the crap out of me when it started blaring. Since when do they access phones??!! It was crazy and had I been driving it might have made me crap myself.

We're in Springfield and my daughter's Phone went off with the Amber Alert too. I kinda like the Idea as it puts a lot of eyes looking for an abducted kid but it also smacks of "Big Brother" is watching you.

I have a dumb phone so I wasn't alerted but this technology could sure be used for evil as well as good.

We're in Springfield and my daughter's Phone went off with the Amber Alert too. I kinda like the Idea as it puts a lot of eyes looking for an abducted kid but it also smacks of "Big Brother" is watching you.

I have a dumb phone so I wasn't alerted but this technology could sure be used for evil as well as good.

Yeah that was how I felt. Good to see it can be done for drivers who would be around the area in yesterdays situation. BUT kinda scary to think of all else that can be done with such access.

It is MY phone and I got no alert telling me "Hey we are going to be blaring super loud alerts through your phone now that you have never heard".
Maybe that might have been good to have sent something as a heads up to a new system.

@Certaindeaf I only wish it did that when you are on your way to try and cuddle with my cat.

I think that it's only supposed to go off for those individuals that registered their phone numbers for notifications from the local-focals. There were about three phones that went off last night during our dinner group, mine was not one that started going ape.

That is seriously what I thought. I figured especially my wife who is always at "alert" driving might have driven right into a wall when that thing went off.
Back in olden times (though some are still alive and they still do) WW2 airmen would often get instant and debilitating panic attacks from a simple ringing telephone as a super-loud ringing telephone preceded the order to scramble like a monkey and then of course the repeated horrors that followed.

Back in olden times (though some are still alive and they still do) WW2 airmen would often get instant and debilitating panic attacks from a simple ringing telephone as a super-loud ringing telephone preceded the order to scramble like a monkey and then of course the repeated horrors that followed.

I believe that. Sh&% can be scary to come from nowhere. If you are already on alert...as some people are already jumpy. That could lead to a quick panic attack when all is quiet and suddenly it sounds as though your phone is telling you we are being attacked by zombies.

I think that it's only supposed to go off for those individuals that registered their phone numbers for notifications from the local-focals. There were about three phones that went off last night during our dinner group, mine was not one that started going ape.

I always say no to "push notifications" on an app. I do not see how I could be registered. Plus it came as a text rather than any notification. I wonder if since I just updated my address and number at DMV if that could be why I am on the list. Maybe I will change my number for them to 555-fudmv. Probably have to do some quick talking to get them to overlook the number on the form.

If your using an iPhone it was enabled in an update a couple of years ago. You are able to turn them off though, if you go into the settings then notifications its at the bottom of that screen under government alerts.

from http://www.amberalert.gov/

Did you receive an AMBER Alert on your phone? Learn more about the new Wireless Emergency Alert program.

As of January 1, 2013, AMBER Alerts™ will now be automatically sent through the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) program to millions of cell phone users. If you have a WEA-enabled phone, you are automatically enrolled for the three alerts: President, Imminent Threat and AMBER Alerts. The addition of AMBER Alerts to this notification system is a result of a partnership between CTIA and the wireless industry, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Any questions or concerns on the AMBER Alert message received on your phone should be directed to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), who manages the secondary distribution of AMBER Alerts.

from <broken link removed>
  • Q: Can I opt-out of AMBER Alerts?
    A: Consumers may opt out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts. Per the WARN Act of 1996, Congress said that no consumer could opt out of Presidential Alerts.

The directions for opting out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts vary by device and provider. Please contact your wireless service provider for instructions.

from http://www.amberalert.gov/

Did you receive an AMBER Alert on your phone? Learn more about the new Wireless Emergency Alert program.

As of January 1, 2013, AMBER Alerts™ will now be automatically sent through the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) program to millions of cell phone users. If you have a WEA-enabled phone, you are automatically enrolled for the three alerts: President, Imminent Threat and AMBER Alerts. The addition of AMBER Alerts to this notification system is a result of a partnership between CTIA and the wireless industry, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Any questions or concerns on the AMBER Alert message received on your phone should be directed to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), who manages the secondary distribution of AMBER Alerts.

from <broken link removed>
  • Q: Can I opt-out of AMBER Alerts?
    A: Consumers may opt out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts. Per the WARN Act of 1996, Congress said that no consumer could opt out of Presidential Alerts.

The directions for opting out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts vary by device and provider. Please contact your wireless service provider for instructions.
Well there you go mixing facts into things...

When the very first Cell Phones came out I would tell people it was a ''Tracking Device'' and they looked at me like I was a Paranoid nut. So who's the Paranoid nut now!

I certainly DID NOT appriciate the amber alert. Totally different sound than a simple notification.

It could have caused a wreck, or perhaps got me killed in some accident. Pissed me off tge more I thought about it.
We all pay good money for our phones and contracts, and while I know they can snoop in our phones at any time they so choose..

By god dont wave that fact in my face.. Like when you hack in and send some motherbubbleguming Amber Alert I never opted to receive. My phone should not be considefed "public access" like it would be on Radio or TV.. Where alerts and "tests" can pop up whenever.

I think them being able to do Amber Alerts on my private devise is WRONG and sadly (for the victim) encourages me NOT to help.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top