JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What we used to say at Hanford BITD...

"Pizza lunch in town on Friday. Don't forget to bring your badge!" :D
I did some work during the holidays at what is now Ratheon. They had a different name back then. Between jobs, they were doing some work in the one area there that they had to shut down for weeks to do. Hiring people to work 12 hour shifts for like 10 days. When we showed up they ran us through some kind of BGC. This was of course pre Algore. first day there hours into the shift here come several armed security people, ask for one of us, walk the guy out and he was not seen again. Couple days later one other worker who knew him said the guy had some conviction from years before for some simple drug offense. He assumed that was the problem as all they would tell him is "there was a problem" with the check and you can not be here.
Later I got to know some who worked there full time. It was a well paying job but, they did not play. Get caught doing something stupid, like sneaking into some area you were not allowed out of curiosity and you were marched out the door for good.

The "what is now Raytheon" gig was probably an outage at the Columbia Generating Station. Changing out the spent fuel and replacing it with new fuel rods.

Get caught doing something stupid, like sneaking into some area you were not allowed out of curiosity and you were marched out the door for good.
I haven't worked out there in years, but I understand that that still happens with frightening regularity. Some folks never learn...

The "what is now Raytheon" gig was probably an outage at the Columbia Generating Station. Changing out the spent fuel and replacing it with new fuel rods.

I haven't worked out there in years, but I understand that that still happens with frightening regularity. Some folks never learn...
We were working with a Co that puts in some strange kind of flooring in one section. It was about an inch thick, had to be cleaned out with air hammer tools that would strip it off the concrete. They moved the machines they could out of the place. There were some too big to move so we had to get on knees and use air powered needle guns to clean around them where the bigger machines could not reach. After that whole floor scraped clean and prepped. Then the contractor came in one day while we were not there poured a new floor. Odd looking when done. Last shift we were there we just pulling down the plastic sheeting. Whole department had to be curtained off as what we were doing made a hell of a mess that they could not have drifting all over. They paid us well but it was VERY labor intensive, dirty, work. I took to keeping an old sheet in my car to sit on. Would get home get clean stuff out of trunk and change out of that stuff at my back door as I was covered with whatever the hell that stuff was. It did look funny as we wore respirators and our faces were covered with the stuff with our eyes mouth and nose standing out. :s0140:
All of us were kept together, had one can we could use, one clean place to eat. They had a few guards watching us the entire time to make sure no one wandered off from our "area". I would have been really interested to see the plant but of course there was no way in hell they were going to let us take a tour. :D

Sounds like asbestos abatement...??? o_O
Early versions of linoleum tile/sheeting was made with asbestos impregnated within it.

Lotta homes in Richland still have asbestos tile on their floors and in the exterior siding.
Those homes are all hazmat sites now. Hard as hell to sell.
I bought mine in 1994 and dumped it in 1997 and had to write a $13,000+ check at closing to get rid of it... :oops:

ETA: The USG built Richland Village (over 4,000 homes and 2 dozen dorms) in 1943 virtually "overnight" to house all of the scientists working out there and their families. Asbestos was in common usage as a building material back then for it's fire-retardancy. Richland Village later became the hub from which the city of Richland developed.

Last Edited:
Early versions of linoleum tile/sheeting was made with asbestos impregnated within it.

Lotta homes in Richland still have asbestos tile on their floors and in the exterior siding.
I bought mine in 1994 and dumped it in 1997 and had to write a $13,000+ check at closing to get rid of it... :oops:
I don't "think" that was what we were doing. This was mid 80's, by then they already had Co's that did remove that crap from buildings and even back then they did all kinds of control of the stuff. The workers had to get special training and the places they did it they had all kinds of control of the dust. I had looked at these jobs a couple times. Places used to advertise for the workers to get the training then travel around cleaning the stuff out of old buildings. Mostly schools. When I was a kid I am sure every school I went to was made with the stuff in the floors, walls and ceilings. Since when it was invented it was touted as the great new thing to keep the kids "safe". :s0140: What ever it was we were tearing up was put back down again and looked just like it did only of course new. The contractor who did it was out of some other state and traveled around doing this. The way we were covered in the dust from it I have to hope it was not asbestos we were kicking up. I did not get to see them put the new floor down but was told it was poured onto the slab, them smoothed out and let dry. One of the people we were working for must have told us what the point of the stuff was but this was a hell of a long time ago now.

Don't know if they changed it but old gas stations have long had that same problem. When the self serve places became the norm, there was forever all kinds of empty lots where old stations had been. They would get torn down and the lots would often sit empty for decades. Someone who knew how this worked told me one time the problem was the tanks. To sell the property they had to get some Co to come in and tear out the tanks and all the dirt that showed traces of fuel. The ground had to be hauled to some Haz-Mat site so it was HUGELY expensive. So the property would sit there for decades with no one wanting it. When I met the Wife one of her siblings lived out here where we do now. Rented one of those homes they bring to the site in two pieces and set up on a foundation. Looked just like a stick built home. Nice place. Well they moved, owners rented to someone who turned it into a Meth lab. This was when this was really taking off. By the time the authorities found out they condemned the home. Told owners they could not ever have it occupied again. They had to hire some Co to tear it apart and haul it to some Haz-Mat site. As soon as this started happening here the news mentioned it a few times warning people who had homes they rented. The insurance would NOT of course pay for this. :eek:

Don't know if they changed it but old gas stations have long had that same problem. When the self serve places became the norm, there was forever all kinds of empty lots where old stations had been. They would get torn down and the lots would often sit empty for decades. Someone who knew how this worked told me one time the problem was the tanks. To sell the property they had to get some Co to come in and tear out the tanks and all the dirt that showed traces of fuel. The ground had to be hauled to some Haz-Mat site so it was HUGELY expensive. So the property would sit there for decades with no one wanting it. When I met the Wife one of her siblings lived out here where we do now. Rented one of those homes they bring to the site in two pieces and set up on a foundation. Looked just like a stick built home. Nice place. Well they moved, owners rented to someone who turned it into a Meth lab. This was when this was really taking off. By the time the authorities found out they condemned the home. Told owners they could not ever have it occupied again. They had to hire some Co to tear it apart and haul it to some Haz-Mat site. As soon as this started happening here the news mentioned it a few times warning people who had homes they rented. The insurance would NOT of course pay for this. :eek:
Yup, very familiar with this in my line of work. The underground tanks at gas stations are called LUST (Leaking Underground Storage Tanks) and the EPA went around sampling groundwater near gas stations to force the owners to clean it up. Of course, most couldn't afford to, so they went out of business. Same thing happened to dry cleaners, too. So the places remained empty for years until someone with enough $$$ came along to tear the place down, "clean up" the soil, haul it all off somewhere, and build something new. The mindset of the EPA is that the PRP (Primary Responsible Party) is the one responsible to pay for the clean-up. But if the PRP is gone/deceased/out of business, then the cost of clean-up falls to whomever buys the property.

Same thing with meth houses. I have managed construction projects that were nearby to meth houses that had the hazmat stickers all over them and the "bumblebee" caution tape wrapped around the front and back entries and the perimeter fence, if the place had a fence.

Interesting factoid: I was visiting one of my jobsites one day when a raft of black Suburbans, vans, and police cars rolled up in force. Dudes in black tacticool gear with ARs and body armor poured out of the 'Burbs and vans and stormed this house. We all watched with intrigue as the cops pushed us back and told the crew to "take a break" for a while. The next day when I came back, the house was taped up with bumblebee streamers... :)

Last Edited:
I have to take it you had a problem?
I use a LOT of AA's so long ago went to rechargeable. They last a good long time and when they start to go I buy a fresh batch off Amazon. So far all seems great. Before I went with lights for the guns that were rechargeable I used to buy those batteries off Amazon. Since they all took some version of those "button batteries" that were always a PITA to find at the store, at least here. Those too, so far nothing for me to complain about. My Red Dots still use the button cells, keep a few in the range bag so if one gets low while at the range just pop in a new one. Often they sit in the range bag for a hell of a long time and again so far nothing for me to complain about???
Mostly issues with specialty batteries like button type. They will last way shorter than they are supposed to. There are companies that salvage batteries from trash and recycling, sort them by voltage (rated vs measured) and re-package those within a certain threshold. Some of these have apparently made it to online sales. Watch for products where there are hundreds of positive reviews and then suddenly the last few months they are all negative. Supplier got the old switcharoo.

To be fair, I buy a lot of rechargeables there and have had very few issues with them.

We were working with a Co that puts in some strange kind of flooring in one section. It was about an inch thick, had to be cleaned out with air hammer tools that would strip it off the concrete. They moved the machines they could out of the place. There were some too big to move so we had to get on knees and use air powered needle guns to clean around them where the bigger machines could not reach. After that whole floor scraped clean and prepped. Then the contractor came in one day while we were not there poured a new floor. Odd looking when done. Last shift we were there we just pulling down the plastic sheeting. Whole department had to be curtained off as what we were doing made a hell of a mess that they could not have drifting all over. They paid us well but it was VERY labor intensive, dirty, work. I took to keeping an old sheet in my car to sit on. Would get home get clean stuff out of trunk and change out of that stuff at my back door as I was covered with whatever the hell that stuff was. It did look funny as we wore respirators and our faces were covered with the stuff with our eyes mouth and nose standing out. :s0140:
All of us were kept together, had one can we could use, one clean place to eat. They had a few guards watching us the entire time to make sure no one wandered off from our "area". I would have been really interested to see the plant but of course there was no way in hell they were going to let us take a tour. :D
Did you do any work at Wade's in Bellevue? :D

Amazon has problems with counterfeits and other issues, including bad batteries for a number of reasons. I try to be careful about buying such things there, trying to buy when the supplier is either Amazon themselves or a known brand being the supplier.

I would think that Amazon would be extra careful with medications, more careful than Walmart or Costco.

Did you do any work at Wade's in Bellevue? :D
:D, never been there but damn I did feel bad for them for a while. They went through a phase where there was several suicides in the damn place. People would come in, rent a gun, go back and shoot themselves. It happened multiple times at the damn place for some reason. Not sure why them. Several other ranges started putting in new rules about rental guns due to it.

:D, never been there but damn I did feel bad for them for a while. They went through a phase where there was several suicides in the damn place. People would come in, rent a gun, go back and shoot themselves. It happened multiple times at the damn place for some reason. Not sure why them. Several other ranges started putting in new rules about rental guns due to it.
They also had an issue with contractors not wearing protective gear while working in or near the bullet traps. Words were said, feelings were hurt, courts were involved, money changed hands.

Where does it all lead or go back to?

I asked....
Hey Siri....

Do Black Lives Matter?
Do All Lives Matter?
Do Blue Lives Matter?

I was surprised that the last two questions brought the conversation back to BLM without rendering a definitive response. Like how Siri answered the first question. Obviously Siri wants to control the conversation.

Aloha, Mark

Where does it all lead or go back to?

Aloha, Mark
Some scrap yard I am sure. Stuff is valuable now days as anyone who goes to buy it can tell you. Same with the brass that can't be sold for loading. While back someone was telling me they were just sure no scrap operation would take things like rimfire brass. I said there is no way that stuff is being tossed in the trash.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top