JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember the days where the orders were done by hand and you had to get a cashiers check at the bank. You had to know the physical address you had to call them to see how much the items were and you paid shipping as well and it took 4 to 6 weeks to receive the order. That is when AT&T had a monopoly and long distance calls were expensive.
Oh yeah. I remember got a job one time at a place that had trunk line long distance. Employee's were allowed to use it during the off hours. So I would go in early, call my Mom, put her on hold, call her Mom, put the 2 of them together and they could talk for free all they wanted. That was a HUGE perk then as long distance was pricey. It was fun when Cell Co's started offering free long distance. That was a HUGE thing then. Now most don't even think about it. :D

My wife has been ordering nutrisystem frozen food. Comes in cooler packed with dry ice, fedx has delivered up to three days late. Ugh, melted ice cream etc. had to have two orders reshipped so far...:rolleyes:

I've had to order tools for work and they took almost a month to show up through Amazon. I've ordered from a Finnish company (varusteleka) and had things show up in 3-5 days. Amazon is taking advantage of the situation.

ON Gaffin Road in East Salem is an old Panasonic electronic's plant of somesort. In the last year the place has been completely remodeled into a Amazon Prime delivery center in the morning before they leave like a swarm of bees there must be close to 40 of the Sprinter type vans with the Amazon logo on them parked there. WE get deliveries almost every day from somewhere my wifes hobby involves a lot of exchanges between the people involved. And while some items take longer to get here most are showing up in a couple days at most. Some USPS shipped items are less then 2 days.

ON Gaffin Road in East Salem is an old Panasonic electronic's plant of somesort. In the last year the place has been completely remodeled into a Amazon Prime delivery center in the morning before they leave like a swarm of bees there must be close to 40 of the Sprinter type vans with the Amazon logo on them parked there. WE get deliveries almost every day from somewhere my wifes hobby involves a lot of exchanges between the people involved. And while some items take longer to get here most are showing up in a couple days at most. Some USPS shipped items are less then 2 days.
The auto maker who makes those vans they use must have been happy to see this come. They bought a ton of those damn things!:D

The auto maker who makes those vans they use must have been happy to see this come. They bought a ton of those damn things!:D

Sprinter is made by Daimler (who I used to work for). They also use similar vans by other makers - Nissan and Ford and Chrysler.

Automakers and truck manufacturers are hurting right now.

1) Last year they predicted a recession this year, and last year they were hurting a bit. So they started laying off people last year and this year big time.

2) In the NA market, 2017-2018 was a big buying spree for large trucks, so for 2019-2020 the market was saturated with new and used trucks. The haulers who needed new trucks had them, and sold their used trucks (or are trying to sell them).

3) Then there is CV-19 which did no one that made or sold any vehicles any favors, and that will probably last until 2022 at least.

Sprinter is made by Daimler (who I used to work for). They also use similar vans by other makers - Nissan and Ford and Chrysler.

Automakers and truck manufacturers are hurting right now.

3) Then there is CV-19 which did no one that made or sold any vehicles any favors, and that will probably last until 2022 at least.
Our police state Gov told auto dealers they could not sell cars with a very few exceptions. Now our AG, side show Bob is demanding proof from a bunch of them that they did not dare to ignore police state Jay because some of them sold way too many cars. I have to guess police state jay did not feel he got any campaign donations from the dealers he sicked side Show Bob on. The voters here who put him in office get what they deserve, hope they are enjoying it.

the USPS already goes to most homes almost every day to deliver mail, if it is only junk mail, so often they do the "last mile" for a lot delivery systems

This. It's been going on for years. Parcel consolidators ship loads by common carriers that have been presorted by zip codes into dock transfers. The carrier drops the shipment at the PO, which does the dirty work of that last mile. Yes, it is the most expensive part of the journey for most small and/or light weight parcels. The carriers tend to hang onto the larger/heavier stuff because PO rates for those aren't necessarily competitive.

The PO has no control over these arrangements. They are subject to governance by the Postal Regulatory Commission, a political animal run by political appointees. This commission is heavily lobbied by forces paid by the mailing industry. Which consists of paper manufacturers, printers, shippers (like Amazon), commercial carriers, address information services, pallet board makers, you name it. Which employs millions of people across the US.

President Trump has only a minimum of facts when he assails Amazon and the US Postal Service for their "arrangement." Basically, the mailing industry forces rates and rate structures upon the Postal Service by way of the Postal Regulatory Commission. Which in turn results in a subsidy for everyone who ships AND receives a commercial parcel by mail. Congress has nothing to do with rates; they can affect policy of how the PO is run but not what it charges.

I actually lived on Hawaii for a couple of years. Kauai. Never again. Being a white dude on Kauai was like being a black man in the 60's in Alabama. Blatant racism, corrupt cops, and crazy ignorance.

I had a company on one of those God Forsaken islands actively trying to recruit me for a position on the Big Island once. While I am sure there are worse places to live I can't think of any off the top of my head. Not only no but hell no. Doesnt matter what they were paying and they pay wasnt great either. "You get to live in paradise"?. My bubblegum. No guns, all the stuff you pointed out, super high prices on EVERYTHING etc.

This. It's been going on for years. Parcel consolidators ship loads by common carriers that have been presorted by zip codes into dock transfers. The carrier drops the shipment at the PO, which does the dirty work of that last mile.

This is what my brother does - he creates a lot of mailing for billing (as in thousands per day), stuffs it in envelopes, presorts it, and then takes it to the PO. They get a cut rate on the mailing cost and the biller doesn't have to handle billing and mailing.

Order made on 20th, just now shipped and will be here by friday

This was typical before CV-19

Some things come overnight, others "ship" a week later and get here in 2 days

Other stuff ships immediately and takes a week.

Usually not a big deal to me, except for birthdays and holidays when I send gifts

Ordered a set of Go-NoGo gauges. Took them 2 days to get to Portland. For the next 5+ days they went back and forth across town, from the Eastside, to Forest Grove, back to the Eastside and back. Like it was under the seat of a delivery truck! Simple 4x6 padded mailer.

My understanding is that Amazon is currently emphasizing essential items rather then luxury ones when processing orders due to the pandemic. I am sure that it will get back to normal as soon as the pandemic is over with.
My deliveries have been slowed down too and we have a distribution center less then 15 miles from my house. I guess that they don't consider holsters and UTV windshields as essential items at this time, or my wife's new margarita glasses either for that matter.

I had a notice that my pressure cooker was going to ship a month after I ordered it, so they offered me $20 for the wait. I wasn't in a hurry, so I took the $20, and less than a week later I had a pressure cooker.

I'm not sure if Amazon really knows what's going on, either.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top