JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm having a hard time believing it. I saw video of him on TV. He didn't look bad, not even sunburned from what I could tell. Certainly not skinny.
Catching fish by hand, leaning over a boat? Drinking only rain water? People need a gallon a day. What about when it didn't rain? Just sounds too "fishy" to me.

If you have read about Captain Bligh's unprecedented 3,600 mile open-boat voyage after being set adrift by his mutinous crew, or worse, what the remaining members of the Essex crew did to (barely) survive the sinking of their whaling ship, this story has almost no credibility.

Keith

The big issue... how does a salvadoran end up in a boat off the coast of the marshall islands, and claim to have been at sea for over a year. Yea, we can call BS on the at sea for over a year, and where he started, etc etc. The question is where is he from, and how did he get there. If not for that...

There was a young man on a round the world solo sail who was capsized by a whale and was in a raft for a period of months in the south Atlantic, finally washed-up in Central America (?)
It took a week before he could walk, due to muscle atrophy

Read this book a while back. Here's the wiki summary. Having read a few of the Shakelton books and the book on the Bailey's I'm thinking this guy is telling a bogus story.
The Baileys' journey began when they left Southampton, England in their 31-foot (9.4 m) yacht, the Auralyn. Their intended destination was New Zealand. They passed safely through the Panama Canal in February and were on their way to the Galapagos Islands. At the crack of dawn of March 4, 1973, their yacht was struck by a whale and severely damaged. After transferring some supplies to an inflated raft and dinghy and salvaging some food, a compass, and other supplies, the Baileys watched as the Auralyn disappeared beneath the waves. To survive, they collected rainwater and when their meager food supplies ran out, began eating sea creatures such as turtles, seabirds and fish caught by hand or with safety pins fashioned into hooks. As they drifted in the open Pacific, the couple saw seven different ships, not one stopping to their aid. Their liferaft began to disintegrate and required frequent reinflation. They read and played card games early in their ordeal, but later the Baileys suffered terribly from malnutrition and friction-induced sores, the latter worsening due to the wet conditions in the raft. They encountered sharks and dolphins and endured several severe storms.

After traveling some 1,500 miles (2,400 km), the Baileys were rescued by the crew of a Korean fishing boat, the Weolmi 306, on June 30, 1973. Sailors on the ship spotted the raft after initially passing it by. The couple was brought aboard in an emaciated state, having lost some 40 pounds (18 kg) apiece and with their legs barely able to support their weight. The Weolmi brought them to Honolulu, Hawaii and to a fine welcome. The Baileys returned to England and wrote an account of their ordeal entitled 117 Days Adrift (Staying Alive! in the U.S.), which was published in 1974 by Adlard Coles Nautical. The following year, they returned to the sea in their new yacht, the Auralyn II.

I"m doubtful, first off, the guy looked really healthy, walking under his own power. But, he did have a person with him. Then he's drinking a coke, doing this after eating or drinking very very little in the last 13 months. His face looked ''chubby''his lips were not cracked, or parched looking. No blisters or marks on his face that could have come from extended exposure to the sun, and salt water. Guess we'll find out sometime in the future if its for real or not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top