JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was surprised and please to see this positive (with one exception) response from an LEO that was on the board to make recommendations after the shootings of the LEO's up in WA state. In a nutshell, he doesn't see how ANY additional restrictive gun laws would have kept this from happening.

WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - Maurice Clemmons, who gunned down four Lakewood police officers Nov. 29, was an evil man and no changes in gun laws are going to prevent murders like he committed.

That is a conclusion that Chelan County Sheriff Mike Harum said he came to while serving on a panel of law enforcement officers looking into the shootings.

He was appointed by Gov. Chris Gregoire to a panel that was asked to determine if changes in state laws might have prevented the murders, or if any changes could prevent similar murders in the future.

"Our fear was that if a legislator has a knee-jerk reaction to this whole incident, he might come up with something that we would not be able to work with as a community," Harum said.

The panel met Dec. 29 in Olympia. Harum was the only law enforcement officer from North Central Washington on the eight-member panel.

Harum said he has heard rumors that some legislators want to ban assault weapons and others want to require that all guns be registered.

"Maurice Clemmons violated many firearms laws before he murdered the officers, so it seems rather dubious to argue additional laws might have prevented this tragedy," Harum said.

He noted that the gun Clemmons used in the murder was stolen, and that he stole a gun from a police officer during the shooting rampage.

"If people talk about registering every firearm in the state of Washington, that's going to put a tremendous burden on law enforcement, and won't do anything to solve the problem," Harum said, noting criminals will continue to get their weapons illegally.

Harum called Clemmons "a very evil person" and said, "You have to put total responsibility on him for what he did. ... Even if we had a state of the art system, it would not have prevented him from killing."

Maurice Clemmons was under supervision by the state Department of Corrections when authorities say he shot and killed four Lakewood officers at a coffee shop before the start of their shifts. Clemmons was shot and killed by police after a two-day manhunt.

His parole from Arkansas had been transferred to Washington state, where he was living at the time of the murders.

Harum said the members of the review panel agreed with him that any changes in the system would not have prevented the killings.

He summarized other panel observations:

- Since very few criminals engage in violent crime early on, all who go through the criminal justice system must be held accountable for minor violations.

- The state should require mental health screenings before accepting prisoners from out of state for community custody.

- Police chiefs and sheriffs must have more discretion in denying concealed pistol licenses to mentally ill people.

- Legislation should be considered to hold those who knowingly provide firearms illegally more accountable for their actions.

I think some of the Washington forum members should send a note of Thanks to Chelan County Sheriff Mike Harum for taking a logical approach to the situation instead of the knee jerk "more gun laws" reaction.

I always wonder how those who advocate more strict gun laws think that they will change anything except keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. People who would obey gun laws are not the ones that we should worry about. If someone is bent on murdering anybody, much less police officers, then who in their right mind could conceivably think that a gun law would prevent them from carrying out murder? Does anybody really think a criminal is going to say, "Well, I was going to enter this shopping mall and kill a bunch of folks, but darnit, there is a no firearms allowed sign posted, so I guess I can't come in." Gimme a break.

Glad to see this LEO is sensible (and vocal) about the issue. Good on him.

I always wonder how those who advocate more strict gun laws think that they will change anything except keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. People who would obey gun laws are not the ones that we should worry about. If someone is bent on murdering anybody, much less police officers, then who in their right mind could conceivably think that a gun law would prevent them from carrying out murder? Does anybody really think a criminal is going to say, "Well, I was going to enter this shopping mall and kill a bunch of folks, but darnit, there is a no firearms allowed sign posted, so I guess I can't come in." Gimme a break.

Glad to see this LEO is sensible (and vocal) about the issue. Good on him.

Bingo!

yep I read the same article of course and I was pretty much shocked that his response was as quoted "If people talk about registering every firearm in the state of Washington, that's going to put a tremendous burden on law enforcement, and won't do anything to solve the problem,".......I commend him for speaking directly to the heart of the matter and not making a motion to act on law abiding gun owners.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top