JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any other amateur or self taught photographers on here? Post up your photos and give people the chance to give you some honest feedback :)

Ive always been told i take great pictures, and ive always loved taking them. so last year i bought myself a canon 550d kit and have been learning dslr photograghy on my own.

EDIT: i didnt mean to put that picture on there, i clicked the wrong one, lol!! that would be my hoodie i modded a while back! oops!! I cant figure out how to remove attachments!

100MEDIA_IMAG0251.jpg

Last Edited:
I also am a self taught photographer. Here are some of my favorite pictures I have taken.

Firefly at my house.
3-4.jpg
2-4.jpg
1-4.jpg

My 2001 Lincoln Navigator
3-3.jpg
2-3.jpg

My 2000 Mustang GT, sold to buy the Navigator.
DSCF4992.jpg
DSCF5070.jpg
DSCF4909.jpg

My 1968 Ford F250, Sold
truck1.jpg
truck10.jpg
truck15.jpg

My 1969 Oldsmobile 98, Sold.
DSCF0308.jpg
DSCF0321.jpg
DSCF0319.jpg

Ice storm a few years ago
ice10.jpg
ice13.jpg
ice8.jpg
ice7.jpg
ice9.jpg

Butterfly that flew in my house.
DSCF5536.jpg

1974 Chevy K20, sold

truck15.jpg
truck16.jpg
truck2.jpg
truck3.jpg

I have a bunch more but don want to post to many.

Hey there rpickette, Great photos, I recommend that if you want to get more out of your camera that you look into some different lenses. Most in the photography world suggest a 50mm lens, with that you can really start to grasp DOF/bokeh, and how the amount of light affects each shot. If you have any more questions or suggestions please chime in! I love photography and firearms!

Hey there rpickette, Great photos, I recommend that if you want to get more out of your camera that you look into some different lenses. Most in the photography world suggest a 50mm lens, with that you can really start to grasp DOF/bokeh, and how the amount of light affects each shot. If you have any more questions or suggestions please chime in! I love photography and firearms!

Heck yeah! I love my little nifty fifty.
bangbangbypuffnstuff.jpg

Wide angles are fun too. 10mm:
urabusbypuffnstuff.jpg

Telephoto lenses are great if you want to reach out and touch something:
moonbypuffnstuff.jpg

Long exposure shots are my favorite though.
serenebypuffnstuff.jpg

justcruisinbypuffnstuff.jpg

Here is an example using both a reduced depth of field (DOF) and fill-in flash. The camera was an older Nikon D60, a 35mm lens, and the DOF set/fixed at 2.8. I didn't want to open the lens up to its maximum aperture of 1.8 since I was worried that some of the foreground (daughter and horse) might go out of focus.
Sophie and Izzy.jpg

Here is another example of reduced DOF. I just didn't record the details of this picture.
Sophie and Amanda.jpg

Sophie and Izzy.jpg

Sophie and Amanda.jpg

...back to digital. An older Nikon D60 and a 35mm "prime" (non-zoom) lens. This Spitfire actually flies and is part of Paul Allen's collection. Stop by the Flying Heritage Collection if you're ever near Paine Field in Everett, WA (North end of greater Seattle).

DSC_0096 (1).jpg

DSC_0096 (1).jpg

I know! Leneses are sooo expensive though! Id really like an ultra wide angle and a much larger zoom for stuff like Formula Drift and rally cross. Just gotta save up for them

...back to digital. An older Nikon D60 and a 35mm "prime" (non-zoom) lens. This Spitfire actually flies and is part of Paul Allen's collection. Stop by the Flying Heritage Collection if you're ever near Paine Field in Everett, WA (North end of greater Seattle).

View attachment 42743

I actually live 2 minutes from there :) and I still haven't been in! Gonna have to change that :)

Photos look great guys. After our recent trip Jen and I decided we need to get a DSLR. With our tiny budget we'll probably end up getting a used body, and it's looking like the best value right now may be with the Canon 40D or 5D. Any thoughts, from the more experienced photographers here? She insists on going with Canon :(

Photos look great guys. After our recent trip Jen and I decided we need to get a DSLR. With our tiny budget we'll probably end up getting a used body, and it's looking like the best value right now may be with the Canon 40D or 5D. Any thoughts, from the more experienced photographers here? She insists on going with Canon :(

Honestly, if its just going to be a travel camera or just used for family stuff then there's really no need to get either of those. The rebel series is perfect and much friendlier on the wallet. The t2I is in my opinion the best value. Your still getting the 18mpx, the ef-s lenses are much more affordable and readily available both new and used. If you compare specs on the t2I and the 40 50 or 60d's, there's really not lot of difference except in the price. I did a lot of research before purchasing mine :) I'm a total bargain hunter. Don't go up to the t3 or t3I, even though its a wee bit cheaper (new) its because u take a downgrade in specs. T2I is a great camera, you can get pro results from a budget camera!

Oh and CANON FTW! ;) serioudsly though, canons are set up to be much more user freindly and there's a reason they're the first choice of most pros

Last Edited:
Anyone have any suggestions on good dslr photograghy books? Like one that really breaks everything down into moron terms? :)

The one I posted was great for that. If you were closer I'd let you borrow it. :s0114:

I'm also a big cannon fan. The rebel series is perfect for anyone starting out. It should provide years of great picture taking and most people will never need or want anything more. I actually prefer the t3i for a few reasons, but it's mostly preference. The t3i has a built in IR transmitter that will control any cannon speedlight flash. To do this with the t2i you have to buy a dedicated IR control module.
If that's not a big deal for you, then I'd just go with the t2i.

The accessories are key. Lenses, flashes, filters, tripod, lighting, all of these things will last for years and should still work when you do upgrade camera bodies.
For all of these things, I recommend B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders
I cant say enough good things about b&h.
Also, for lenses, dont be afraid to try tamron lenses. They offer good quality for great prices. That moon shot I posted was taken with this lens: Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens for Canon EOS AF017C700
It's also great for rallyX
img1415mx.jpg
img1686mh.jpg

The peril of a DSLR and travel is that in order to get the shot you want at any one time, you might have to carry around ALLOT of gear.
I have a nice lowepro backpack that carries my camera body, 6 lenses, 9 lens filters, a flash, a remote trigger, epson p5000, light reflector, tripod, and light meter.
For this reason, I bought a point and shoot for my recent trip to Hawaii for my sisters wedding. It worked out alright. But there were a few photos were "ok" that would have been great if I had my gear.
This shot would have been GREAT if I had my flash:
asdfab.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top