JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I run a yaesu ft-857d( hf-vhf-uhf) in my pickup truck, cause when i go out shooting there is no cell service. and its nice to know that if i am injuried,i will be able to get help, or if someone in the hills needs help, i can call out for them.

It sounds like amateur radio is the most efficient way of communicating and obtaining information during disasters and SHTF. Am I right?

I am told that the hand-held units have pretty good range capabilities due to the network of "repeaters." But, what happens to the repeaters when the power goes down? I assume the repeaters would go down too, thus limiting the range and use of the hand-held units?

If that is the case, would a more powerful mobile unit (not having to rely on repeaters as much) be the better choice? Or would a hand-held be fine? I'm assuming one radio to use in the vehcile as well as at home.

Don't know anything about radios but want to learn.

In a TRUE disaster the repeaters may be down, or over-loaded.

The Army MARS repeaters will probably still be up the longest.

You need a different license, and it can't be used for normal chit-chat.

I never did get into ham....but a good portion of my late teens was spent sitting in my dads radio shack listening to voices from around the world (he was Z21GL for quite a while) it was also one of the main reasons I went into electronics. Nowadays, he's back in the UK, dropped the ham gear and connects with friends through Skype!!!

It sounds like amateur radio is the most efficient way of communicating and obtaining information during disasters and SHTF. Am I right?

I am told that the hand-held units have pretty good range capabilities due to the network of "repeaters." But, what happens to the repeaters when the power goes down? I assume the repeaters would go down too, thus limiting the range and use of the hand-held units?

If that is the case, would a more powerful mobile unit (not having to rely on repeaters as much) be the better choice? Or would a hand-held be fine? I'm assuming one radio to use in the vehcile as well as at home.

Don't know anything about radios but want to learn.

I believe most repeaters have a solar/battery power supply as the repeaters are usually located on remote mountain tops. short of a major earthquake most repeaters should still be functioning.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top