JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have always thought it would be interesting to get into but never have for some reason. When I was a kid I was real heavy into CB's and side band CB's. I remember what they called shooting skip on side band and talking to people in Hawaii. Late 70's. Wow...I am feeling rather old.....

It sounds like amateur radio is the most efficient way of communicating and obtaining information during disasters and SHTF. Am I right?

I am told that the hand-held units have pretty good range capabilities due to the network of "repeaters." But, what happens to the repeaters when the power goes down? I assume the repeaters would go down too, thus limiting the range and use of the hand-held units?

If that is the case, would a more powerful mobile unit (not having to rely on repeaters as much) be the better choice? Or would a hand-held be fine? I'm assuming one radio to use in the vehcile as well as at home.

Don't know anything about radios but want to learn.

It sounds like amateur radio is the most efficient way of communicating and obtaining information during disasters and SHTF. Am I right?

I am told that the hand-held units have pretty good range capabilities due to the network of "repeaters." But, what happens to the repeaters when the power goes down? I assume the repeaters would go down too, thus limiting the range and use of the hand-held units?

If that is the case, would a more powerful mobile unit (not having to rely on repeaters as much) be the better choice? Or would a hand-held be fine? I'm assuming one radio to use in the vehcile as well as at home.

Don't know anything about radios but want to learn.

Some repeaters are solar, and some have a back up generator. Just depends on where they are located.

If any of you HAMs out there need more gear, my buddy Skybill is selling a bunch of used equipment. Most all of the stuff he has is geared toward the 900mhz band but he has tons of jumpers, connectors, cabinets and such that would be useful in constructing a site. I regularly go to the "ham-fests" with him to help out, there are ton's of nerds there! I love it! :D
Look up Skybill send him a PM and he'll let you know what he has available.

I got a question for the ham radio enthusiasts.

I have a Model RBH-1 Radio Receiving Equipment, 10125 Mounting Base and 46188 Radio Receiver.

It was left to me by from my now deceased Father-in Law. Is it worth my time trying to figure out how to use it.

Man it would make a great boat anchor.

I got a question for the ham radio enthusiasts.

I have a Model RBH-1 Radio Receiving Equipment, 10125 Mounting Base and 46188 Radio Receiver.

It was left to me by from my now deceased Father-in Law. Is it worth my time trying to figure out how to use it.

Man it would make a great boat anchor.

If it's only receiving equipment, I am not sure what good it will do other than for entertainment value (i.e. listening to others talk). Maybe there is someone out there who might like to trade for it or something.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top