JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been puttering around the web what seems like a few months, looking at different peoples Saiga rifles and shotguns. I've came across a few decent sites but it seems like the Saiga's are too much work for some people; They would rather just buy a beater AK or shotgun.. :confused:

I don't have EVERY caliber or gauge.. yet. :D
But I do have the 22" (.308)
as well as the 16.3" (7.62x39)
Sunday I'm looking to purchase the .223 version as well as the 16.3" .308

After I converted the .308, I became hooked. I already enjoyed the simplicity of the AK design and the fact that it darn near takes a TANK to run it over before it'll stop functioning!

Call me crazy, but I like them more so than the AR15
(I own 2 AR's, not great versions.. but they get the job done)
Yes, I'd grab the .223/7.62x39/.308 Saiga over the AR15 in my safe.

So really I'm asking, anyone out there enjoy the Saiga's as much as I do!?
Pics, Stories, Best places with decent prices to buy..etc..

I wish I had some converted Saigas. For one, I just can't afford it. To put together a really nice converted Saiga, it's going to cost you:

1. Some work. I don't have the time, unfortunately.

or:

2. About $1000. That's a lot of money for an AK.

That said, there is nothing more badass than a fully converted Saiga 12 with a 20rd mag. NOTHING.

If you haven't already, check out www.saiga12.com.
Here's a forum that has some good info: http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=782
It's pretty dead now, but use the search feature to pull up some good stuff.

I wouldn't say I am a fanatic, but definitely a fan. I just got a .223 this summer and I love the gun. Not the best rifle I have ever shot and not the best I own. But....value per dollar, probably the best buy I have ever made. Well worth the $350. I hesitate to convert it because I like it so much the way it is.

Another Saiga fan here. My opinion is that there might be better guns out there, but I'm not aware of any that come close once you consider the price as well. I'm currently debating between whether I should add the 7.62x39 or the .223 version to my collection next, though really I'd do both if my wife wouldn't use one of them to shoot me for doing it:s0114:!

I wouldn't say I am a fanatic, but definitely a fan. I just got a .223 this summer and I love the gun. Not the best rifle I have ever shot and not the best I own. But....value per dollar, probably the best buy I have ever made. Well worth the $350. I hesitate to convert it because I like it so much the way it is.

Trust me the conversion is worth it for the trigger alone! It's a night and day difference between the factory trigger and the Tapco G2, especially on the .308 model.

I'm actualt in the middle of a Saiga (7.62x39) conversion I'm having some trouble with the geomotry of the bullet guide and the bolt hold open but otyher than that it has been fairly straight foward.
J.P.

How much are they worth converted? I'm thinking about selling my 7.62x39.
list of mods
Modified G2 FCG with Retaining Plate,
Bolt on Carolina Billet Trigger Guard,
Hole Plugs,
Magpul MOE Stock and CAA Poly Tube,
Tapco SAW Grip, bullet guide and utg quad rail

Picture007-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How much are they worth converted? I'm thinking about selling my 7.62x39.
list of mods
Modified G2 FCG with Retaining Plate,
Bolt on Carolina Billet Trigger Guard,
Hole Plugs,
Magpul MOE Stock and CAA Poly Tube,
Tapco SAW Grip, bullet guide and utg quad rail

Well it depends on a few things, the type of furniture you've dressed her up in and further modifications that may be needed such as a decent front sight base. (Can easily be done) see mine for example.

Also, there are plenty of new items on the market to really make the Saiga line of rifles something to be proud of. I mean, the Saiga rifles are already of (In my opinion) a better quality than most of the AKM's on the market today. Arsenal for example uses the Saiga rifles and shotguns for their platform they then convert and modify.

I'd keep your Saiga if I was you. That or further your "Upgrades" and "Modifications"
New quad rail from Carolina Shooters Supply, New 24mm front sight base with Muzzle brake, Optional TWS top cover rail.
Or you could go a galil style route and take the front sight off, thread the barrel, weld a HK style sight to the gas block, slap on a TWS 2nd gen top cover and rear sight and call it good. Also, and this is just my personal preference, perhaps switch the PG to something more comfortable/ergonomic?

But all in all, when I sell something, I take about 10-15% off each part I added on and depending on the rifle condition take off a minor use % then price to sell.

Saiga7.62x39.jpg

Saigas are awesome guns. I just did a Saiga .223 conversion that I'm pretty proud of. The total cost ended up just under $450 or so ($340 for rifle, $109 in parts). 200 rounds through it so far, brass and steel-cased as well as handloads without any issue whatsoever.

I've also got a 7.62x39 Saiga which I haven't converted yet but might. Have had it for years, it's definitely a keeper.

_IGP0975.jpg

saiga223.jpg

za and raftman did you do a bullet guide on the 223? how much? was it hard? how much to thread the barrel for a 308? and za is it you selling saiga parts on a less cool website? you should post it here.do you still have the stuff?

Yes on the bullet guide on the .223. There's a variety of kits available, theyre not uber expensive and usually come with step by step instructions. If you don't rush it, it can still be done in in under 15 minutes. Check out the Saiga forum on specifics, they have an absolute wealth of info about saigas and modifying or converting them.

I wish I had some converted Saigas. For one, I just can't afford it. To put together a really nice converted Saiga, it's going to cost you:

1. Some work. I don't have the time, unfortunately.

or:

2. About $1000. That's a lot of money for an AK.

That said, there is nothing more badass than a fully converted Saiga 12 with a 20rd mag. NOTHING.

If you haven't already, check out IZHMASH Saiga-12 Shotguns.
Here's a forum that has some good info: The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums
It's pretty dead now, but use the search feature to pull up some good stuff.

Have you seen the Aluminum 30 RD Drums?

I didn't make mine but I think my Arsenal Saiga is the best AK I have owned. I had 2 preban Norincos, a milled bulgarian and a WASR. While all worked just fine, I like that this one originated in Kalashnikov's factory. :)

Saiga006.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews