JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I am the only one that dislikes the Ruger 10-22. In its stock configuration it is heavy with a heavy trigger pull, hard to work bolt, and a thin barrel. It also costs 75% more than other comparable 22's.

What?? What 22 costs 25% less? You probably don't like puppies, apple pie and free beer. :s0114:
Yes you are rite they do need a trigger job but what 22 comes with a good trigger these days?

A friend of mine bought a newer one with a synthetic stock and they are quite a bit lighter. I really think its the AR15 guys that like them, because they can put all sorts of shiny parts on them. these are the people that I think buy 10-22's

What?? What 22 costs 25% less? You probably don't like puppies, apple pie and free beer. :s0114:
Yes you are rite they do need a trigger job but what 22 comes with a good trigger these days?

Marlin model 60, mine cost $115 new and shoots 2 moa all day long. There are plenty of alternatives if people would look and not be gun sheeples.

Most of the $100 budget 22's are less reliable than the 10/22 out of the box. Add to that the wealth of info and aftermarket for the 10/22 and there you go. You can DIY the trigger down to 2lbs with not much work. Yes there's other options but unless gun XYZ does it for you as is out of box, the 10/22 is hard to beat.

Love them, but I like almost all .22s.

Used to not love them so much, but then after using nothing but CCI Mini Mags and BX-25 magazines, all my complaints went away.

Most of the $100 budget 22's are less reliable than the 10/22 out of the box. Add to that the wealth of info and aftermarket for the 10/22 and there you go. You can DIY the trigger down to 2lbs with not much work. Yes there's other options but unless gun XYZ does it for you as is out of box, the 10/22 is hard to beat.

What budget .22 isn't reliable?

A friend of mine bought a newer one with a synthetic stock and they are quite a bit lighter. I really think its the AR15 guys that like them, because they can put all sorts of shiny parts on them. these are the people that I think buy 10-22's

I have a lot fun with them. Enjoy them and none of them are any different then what they were when I bought them. One is is from the early 70's. I grew up shooting that gun, and still love it today, just as it came out of the box.

However I do love me some AR's as well. :)

I have always wanted to build up a really custom one some day, just haven't brought myself to spend that kind of money on a .22 yet.

I have a lot fun with them. Enjoy them and none of them are any different then what they were when I bought them. One is is from the early 70's. I grew up shooting that gun, and still love it today, just as it came out of the box.

However I do love me some AR's as well. :)

I have always wanted to build up a really custom one some day, just haven't brought myself to spend that kind of money on a .22 yet.

I recognize that some people love to customize I'm fine with that. I just hate that no one recognizes that there are other choices available.

They've never been my favorite either. Even 20 years ago before all the aftermarket parts were available. On the other hand, the original Ruger .44 mag auto carbine ( 1st one ) was magnificent fun. The only .22 auto I own is a Nylon 66. I should put a rail on it and take it to a 3 gun shoot. They'd love that since it's mostly plastic to begin with !

I recognize that some people love to customize I'm fine with that. I just hate that no one recognizes that there are other choices available.

There are lots of choices! wish I had the money to own all the choices! My favorite .22 is the CZ bolt guns. Love the Remington speedmaster Gallery gun I have as well. Had a Stevens 887 for a while lots of fun with that one as well. ( and can be found cheap!)
Wish I had a Winchester 77

Must my grandpas Pump .22 first gun I ever shot.

ohh how about colt 880? never owned one but did get to shoot one once.

ah the .22, the fun never ends and sooooo many choices. :)

I'm not a big fan of the 10/22 either, I've owned several and customized a couple, but ultimately got bored or frustrated and sold them. I don't find them to be as accurate as a Marlin or Savage off the shelf. You certainly can spend a bunch of money on accessories for them. I wish Ruger would make a 22 rifle based on their Mark II pistol kinda like what Browning did with their Buckmark. I think the Mark II action/system is much more reliable in terms of feeding and accuracy than the 10/22.

They've never been my favorite either. Even 20 years ago before all the aftermarket parts were available. On the other hand, the original Ruger .44 mag auto carbine ( 1st one ) was magnificent fun. The only .22 auto I own is a Nylon 66. I should put a rail on it and take it to a 3 gun shoot. They'd love that since it's mostly plastic to begin with !

I also own a nylon 66 in apache black, to bad they don't make them any more. It is the most reliable, lightest 22. Most modern .22's weigh almost 2-3 lbs more than a nylon.

I own and have owned a bunch of .22 rifles and pistols.
I keep a 10/22 around because the large capacity mags are cheap, easy to reload with a speed loader and when I get the urge to just do a bunch of mag dumps, it can't be beat.
If I am serious about hitting a bulls-eye, I have a semi-auto Weatherby XXII made in Italy by Beretta that I picked up in an estate sale, that is by far the most accurate and beautifully made .22 rifle I have ever shot.
But hands down my favorite is my Winchester model 1906 pump. Very accurate, light weight, and being over 103 years old and still working perfectly with style.

From what I am told you must invest about $60-70 in a kit to cure the Ruger trigger problem. Ruger the company is lawsuit shy and sets most of their triggers at a pull that only the Terminator would not pull the rifle off target. Takes some getting used to for sure but I do intend to put in that kit in mine at some future date.

the rugers are tough rifles and they will be around and outlive most of us.

From what I am told you must invest about $60-70 in a kit to cure the Ruger trigger problem. Ruger the company is lawsuit shy and sets most of their triggers at a pull that only the Terminator would not pull the rifle off target. Takes some getting used to for sure but I do intend to put in that kit in mine at some future date.

the rugers are tough rifles and they will be around and outlive most of us.

I don't know if they changed since the plastic trigger housings, but...it only took a new Volquartsen hammer to cure my trigger pull problems.

I have had mine for over 35 years, it is still a good little gun, with lots of sentimental value. Literally many thousands of rounds have been shot through the thing.

I do not know what is out on the .22 market now, to compare a 10/22 to but I like mine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top