JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
His initial interview stated that he didn't go out because of SWAT and not wanting to be mistaken for the shooter...

The mindset is trained into people. Our troops normally want to help to the point of self sacrifice. The staff is trained to move on and make sure you are not the next to be killed and to heck with those dieing around you. It's why self reliance is so important in today's progressive world, even if people want to save you others will stop them.

Smart(er) move to not be the victim of fratricide, but SWAT takes a bunch of time to get dressed for the party, which means by the time they get there, they should bring a mop and bucket to clean up my mess.

I don't need the permission of the sheep to go out and put down a fudge-knuckling doo-key sack when the bullets are flying in my presence.

His initial interview stated that he didn't go out because of SWAT and not wanting to be mistaken for the shooter...

I get the impression this guy is less than credible. I'm not trying to arm chair quarterback this, I wasn't there and I can't tell you what I would have done. What I do know however, is that "the teacher told me I couldn't" would not be found in my vocabulary.

But...then again, I also wouldn't have given a news interview if all I had to say was "I was gunna, but then I didn't"

I get the impression this guy is less than credible. I'm not trying to arm chair quarterback this, I wasn't there and I can't tell you what I would have done. What I do know however, is that "the teacher told me I couldn't" would not be found in my vocabulary.

But...then again, I also wouldn't have given a news interview if all I had to say was "I was gunna, but then I didn't"

Amen!

I wasn't there but not knowing how many shooters, possibly it was a major terror attack.
Perhaps Police were already on scene, he didn't know.

Trying to get info first during a chaotic situation could end up being the best thing to do sometimes.

Acting quick without knowing the facts first could also be the best thing to do sometimes.

I'm not faulting this guy for not knowing what to do. If the threat came to him at least he was armed anyway so good for him ad those around him.

The antis will use him as an example though of how a CHL doesn't stop a mass shooter.

Took a hazmat class many years ago on how to deal with a hazmat spill. The class taught do not risk your life, those in the spill area are dead or dying and you shouldnt go in and help them. I sense like all government agencies once the spill happens you contain the area and take all the precautions needed to clean up the spill. They say don't be a hero or it will get you killed.

Understanding how mass shootings are treated just like hazardous material spills should bring you to realize you are on your own should you be caught in an event.

Took a hazmat class many years ago on how to deal with a hazmat spill. The class taught do not risk your life, those in the spill area are dead or dying and you shouldnt go in and help them. I sense like all government agencies once the spill happens you contain the area and take all the precautions needed to clean up the spill. They say don't be a hero or it will get you killed.

Understanding how mass shootings are treated just like hazardous material spills should bring you to realize you are on your own should you be caught in an event.

I can understand that, and again it's really up to the individual. I guess my irritation comes mostly from the interview itself.

Why even interview? Why make statements like that?

To quote master Yoda "Do, or do not, there is no try"

If you didn't, you didn't, no judgment here. But to make the statement that you were going to go try and help but the teacher wouldn't let you.........at a college? As a Veteran?

And this is not a hazmat spill, this is an active gun battle / murder spree. You are carrying, you made a point to let everyone know that, why didn't you act? The excuse "The teacher wouldn't let me" is lame.

I don't know him so can't speak for him but when the shooting starts fear affects people in different ways.

I agree. And its very easy for people who weren't there to speculate and judge, I am trying my best not to. It just bugs me. The guy took to the media to make a statement, the end result was him basically telling people he wanted to be a hero but a teacher stopped him. What purpose does this serve?

The premise to me is fundamentally flawed. Why bring any of it up? If you got shook, got vapor lock, couldn't prioritize and react appropriately, I get it, at that point it is absolutely better to shelter in place.

But don't go on the news, give an interview acting like you wanted to get involved but were stopped by a teacher. That's wrong. You either fought or you flew, either is acceptable given the unknowns. Just don't go on national TV and try to claim you were trying to intervene but "were stopped by staff" like that is an acceptable excuse.

You put that smoke wagon on your hip before you left the house, you accepted the responsibility that comes with it. You KNEW there were people dying and you allowed a teacher to stop you from attempting to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver. You didn't do anything. That's fine! There's nothing wrong with that!

But don't blame the reason for your action or lack thereof on some community college staff member.

You're a CCH carrier, a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces and a grown damn man. Own your decisions don't portray yourself falsely to the media. There's a real hero lying in a hospital bed who didn't have a gun when he ran at the shooter.

There are several kids who won't be around any more, that paid the ultimate price in a war they didn't even know they were signed up for. Don't dishonor them with this bullbubblegum.

I agree. And its very easy for people who weren't there to speculate and judge, I am trying my best not to. It just bugs me. The guy took to the media to make a statement, the end result was him basically telling people he wanted to be a hero but a teacher stopped him. What purpose does this serve?

The premise to me is fundamentally flawed. Why bring any of it up? If you got shook, got vapor lock, couldn't prioritize and react appropriately, I get it, at that point it is absolutely better to shelter in place.

But don't go on the news, give an interview acting like you wanted to get involved but were stopped by a teacher. That's wrong. You either fought or you flew, either is acceptable given the unknowns. Just don't go on national TV and try to claim you were trying to intervene but "were stopped by staff" like that is an acceptable excuse.

You put that smoke wagon on your hip before you left the house, you accepted the responsibility that comes with it. You KNEW there were people dying and you allowed a teacher to stop you from attempting to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver. You didn't do anything. That's fine! There's nothing wrong with that!

But don't blame the reason for your action or lack thereof on some community college staff member.

You're a CCH carrier, a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces and a grown damn man. Own your decisions don't portray yourself falsely to the media. There's a real hero lying in a hospital bed who didn't have a gun when he ran at the shooter.

There are several kids who won't be around any more, that paid the ultimate price in a war they didn't even know they were signed up for. Don't dishonor them with this bullbubblegum.
Brother Sig, that is probably one of the best posts that I have read in a very long time! I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks for sharing your view.

Yep, that interview bothered me also. My opinion is that he was a sheep that just wanted to look like a sheepdog. A true sheepdog doesn't worry about his own life when the flock is being attacked. I don't blame him for not acting as fear can strongly motivate you to do nothing. I truly hope that if I'm ever confronted with evil, the likes that visited Roseburg last week, I will move to it and do my best to defeat it.

In the first statement I heard from Him he said he was like 200 yards away across campus. Which means aside from there being shooting on campus he wouldn't have even known where or what was going on. And possibly if it was known he was armed maybe the teacher wanted someone armed in their class room as a defense.

Last Edited:
Shoulda, woulda, coulda... wouldn't want to live with his decision. Why carry if you aren't wiling to defend yourself, your family and the innocent? Not to be harsh but is there not a veteran or a current service member who hasn't thought through WTF they would do in a situation like this? I mean, really, who hasn't? Especially since there are recent attacks where casualties have been greatly reduced or avoided because 1 or 3 said it's time to go out with a fight rather than be a victim. Smacks too much of "I was just following orders."

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads