JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bounce all of them out. Ticking time bombs. I havnt come across one yet that had any decent round count and still was in spec for headspace. A few K doesn't even warm up a decent AK. That's like when the hammer finally wears in.

If you need a full size AK try for something like a WASR. Battlefield Las Vegas has proved they are work horses even though their QC is kinda all over the place.

As far as a pistol, just avoid anything built by CAI or IO. If it's an import it should be G2G. CAI and IO couldn't build themselves out of a wet paper bag. I'd also avoid rifle dynamics. Basically a WASR with a fancy dress for many times it's actual value.

Do you have a caliber or a barrel length you are looking for for the pistol? You could always find a lot and build or have it built.

Unfortunately right now is one of the worst times I've seen to try to find an AK. Availability is low and prices are catastrophically high.

Bounce all of them out. Ticking time bombs. I havnt come across one yet that had any decent round count and still was in spec for headspace. A few K doesn't even warm up a decent AK. That's like when the hammer finally wears in.

If you need a full size AK try for something like a WASR. Battlefield Las Vegas has proved they are work horses even though their QC is kinda all over the place.

As far as a pistol, just avoid anything built by CAI or IO. If it's an import it should be G2G. CAI and IO couldn't build themselves out of a wet paper bag. I'd also avoid rifle dynamics. Basically a WASR with a fancy dress for many times it's actual value.

Do you have a caliber or a barrel length you are looking for for the pistol? You could always find a lot and build or have it built.

Unfortunately right now is one of the worst times I've seen to try to find an AK. Availability is low and prices are catastrophically high.
My first has like 10k. It's doing great. Headspace is good, wear is minimal. Bought the second only after putting a few k through the first. Second is unfired. Paid like 6 for each of them. I think I got lucky, but wasn't asking for advice. Was asking if others owned them. I like my WASRs as well, and would buy more if I could.
The AK pistol is more a desire than need. I haven't done much research on them. Ideally something near ten inch, in 7.62.

Last Edited:
I tend to trip on the "top shelf " ak bois.
Yes , I want an arsenal or krebs eventually. But my mixed bag baker's dozen of ak pattern rifles and pistols all seem acceptable to me.

I've handled 2 vskas so far and shot one once. Good fit and finish, decent accuracy, pretty nice wood (cheap wood)

My first has like 10k. It's doing great. Headspace is good, wear is minimal. Bought the second only after putting a few k through the first. Second is unfired. Paid like 6 for each of them. I think I got lucky, but wasn't asking for advice. Was asking if others owned them. I like my WASRs as well, and would buy more if I could.
The AK pistol is more a desire than need. I haven't done much research on them. Ideally something near ten inch, in 7.62.
Ok, those that do not do their research and do not know AKs get suckered into VSAKs and RASs.

No, I dont own one and never will own anything CAI or IO monkey built.

You certainly got lucky though when compared to a WASR 10k is nothing. It's been documented those go 10-20x that far before any actual issues on full auto by people that just do mag dumps and have no idea what that does to a firearm.

I will assume you have go/no go gauges. I don't want to hear about an injury.

Ok, those that do not do their research and do not know AKs get suckered into VSAKs and RASs.

No, I dont own one and never will own anything CAI or IO monkey built.

You certainly got lucky though when compared to a WASR 10k is nothing. It's been documented those go 10-20x that far before any actual issues on full auto by people that just do mag dumps and have no idea what that does to a firearm.

I will assume you have go/no go gauges. I don't want to hear about an injury.
How would I know the headspace is good if I didn't?
While generally I wouldn't consider letting you know if I was injured, by my firearm or otherwise, I feel compelled to keep you apprised of any injuries despite your requesting otherwise, just as you gave me your opinion despite me not wanting it.

Last Edited:
I am curious as to what is a "top shelf" AK. It seems the bottom barrel romanian AKs take the most abuse.
30 seconds in the Krebs product menu shows the "core rifle " starting around 1700. I don't even know if it's available or 6 months backordered.
To contrast :
I bought a pair of PSAs this time last year for $600 even. Yup , there were still $300 aks in 2020 fellas!

How would I know the headspace is good if I didn't?
While generally I wouldn't consider letting you know if I was injured, by my firearm or otherwise, I feel compelled to keep you apprised of any injuries despite your requesting otherwise, just as you gave me your opinion despite me not wanting it.
There are builders that literally eyeball headspace and call it good. Lots of folks just eyeball it. Glad you have the proper tools and knowledge.

Unfortunately any injury would go against the reputation of the firearm and user. It's just better that it doesn't happen.

It wasn't a request that you inform me or not. It was a statement of I hope it doesn't happen.

Your attitude is poor on this or maybe I'm "triggering" something.

30 seconds in the Krebs product menu shows the "core rifle " starting around 1700. I don't even know if it's available or 6 months backordered.
To contrast :
I bought a pair of PSAs this time last year for $600 even. Yup , there were still $300 aks in 2020 fellas!
The PSA GF3 seems like a solid rifle so far.

I don't have enough time with anything from krebs to form an opinion. They look nice enough. Don't know what parts they use.

There are builders that literally eyeball headspace and call it good. Lots of folks just eyeball it. Glad you have the proper tools and knowledge.

Unfortunately any injury would go against the reputation of the firearm and user. It's just better that it doesn't happen.

It wasn't a request that you inform me or not. It was a statement of I hope it doesn't happen.

Your attitude is poor on this or maybe I'm "triggering" something.
My attitude is poor due to an unwanted and unwarranted opinion, that has nothing to do with the original post.

My attitude is poor due to an unwanted and unwarranted opinion, that has nothing to do with the original post.
Apologies.
I have shot one , thought it was a fine rifle.
I have handled a second similar to first.
I would be happy to own either, especially since both were bought at decent prices.
Will refrain from clogging your thread further with my ramblings .

You are on the wrong internet then.

Your VSAK is a majestic piece made by God himself and you should be honored to be in possession of such a magnificent piece.

How's that for an opinion? The prior posts I made are fact.

I too will cease to clog your post with your ramblings.

Apologies.
I have shot one , thought it was a fine rifle.
I have handled a second similar to first.
I would be happy to own either, especially since both were bought at decent prices.
Will refrain from clogging your thread further with my ramblings .
You are on the wrong internet then.

Your VSAK is a majestic piece made by God himself and you should be honored to be in possession of such a magnificent piece.

How's that for an opinion? The prior posts I made are fact.

I too will cease to clog your post with your ramblings.
I am, and have been aware of the issues that have been had with some of them. Didn't dispute that. However, I was curious about how they've performed for others here, as the only negative reviews I've seen are from Yeager and MAC, several years back.
I don't feel that they're the best, and would not expect top quality for what I paid, but in my experience they have run as reliably as my WASRs. I wasn't looking for positive reinforcement, but was looking for experience with them from folks who own and have used them, not someone who by their own admission has only come across them on occasion and was displeased by them and/or bases their opinions on what others post online.
Your sarcasm isn't necessary or warranted, I was just looking for some feedback from someone who owned one.

Nah, new ones going for $1399, gunbroker has them between $1,000-1,500 so still a dime a dozen.
Still overpriced.
The price was right on the ones I got. I don't know that I'd buy the thunder ranch ones. Oddly enough, I have had my eye on some AKs on here in that range, but I feel I'd be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on another century (imported or otherwise) when I can get a used arsenal for close to it.

Only non AK guys own or keep VSKAs. It's no big deal, some people just are not knowledgeable on AKs. Deerhurst was just trying to help.

You can still find a WASR UNDER $1000. I don't trust century built rifles. Imports yes. Century built no..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top