JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This has been fun!

Many list 'all' the various smart phone positives, not one of you s.p. users ever walks into a parking meter or admits to texting while driving, (I just added that very common s.p. down side - public menaces R U...) no sir, not me. Nuh-uh, why to even just suggest such s.p.abuse is to impugn my public phone character, to do so is outrageous I tell ya

And then someone said: The worst thing I ever did with my s.p. is to (tee-hee) take selfies, channeling my jr. high girl hijinks, doncha know... What so wrong about doing that? Oh right, I'm a middle aged man, ...oh well, I'm just a real cool guy I am...

When I see the defensive list of how and why s.p.'s are so wonderful, I think, yup, just like any of the addicted, the list of why they aren't addicted is insistent, arduously long and revealing...

Not all technology is good for us.

Now, I'm going go to my Luddite meeting where we all bemoan the advent of fire and the wheel.

I'm in a 40 ton vehicle with DOT regulations, and I'm flatbed so there's a bit more scrutiny going on.

If I get caught texting, or even talking with the phone against my ear, I get a ticket. The company I work for has zero tolerance, so I also lose my job. No fvcking way am I gonna text and drive. Before you cast accusations you should know the person.

BoBo,

Puh-leeze, get with the fun spirit.

I'm laughing at the 'oh so defensive, I don't/would never do that' s.p. person while simultaneously laughing at myself...

I gotcha. I won't deny there are people who do text on their phones, I see a lot of it. There was worse though, but not gonna say some of what I saw on the public forum.

Oh good lord. This ^^^^. It drives me crazy when I have to talk to people that have given up their land line. They slowly fade out, because they move the phone from their mouth, I guess. I'll have to repeat several times, because of some weird delay, or cell phones won't pass two voices at the same time or something, and say I CAN'T hear you. Then magically, their voice comes in clear again. For awhile. With all that said. Cell phone to cell phone is terrible. That happened when they went digital. Going digital? That helped WHO? It certainly dumped cell phone call quality in the crapper.
Never noticed this issue. my wife had an lg that any sounds in general werent great. But im on my 3rd Samsung without sound quality complaints. The phones we have at my job give pretty mixed results and those are not cell phones. so...

View attachment 557004
Just got new set of blue tooth in the mail today

I have Bluetooth for each car. Just plug into the lighter and work over the radio. Very cheap these days and work surprisingly well. One night just as I was walking out the door my boss called and was talking about work. I got in the car, phone went to car without missing a beat. Boss did not even know anything had changed until he heard me cuss at some moron who ran out in front of me. When I told him I was in the car now he was impressed that he never noticed the change. The tech on this stuff has gotten amazingly good and cheap. Before that I would not even answer the phone in the car. Figured if it was important they would leave a message I could see when I stopped.

This has been fun!

Many list 'all' the various smart phone positives, not one of you s.p. users ever walks into a parking meter or admits to texting while driving, (I just added that very common s.p. down side - public menaces R U...) n

I personally do not, as I said I would be all in people being charged with the same as a DUI if they cause a wreck while trying to type and drive. I personally LOVE the tech. Don't use it a lot but damn it's nice to have. I LOVE beer (quality beer) and Good whiskey too. I also do not drive my cars after partaking in these though. I have no doubt many do, probably some who are members here. It is amazing to me how fast "tech" has grown and how cheap it has gotten. I avoided Computers for a long time. Finally had to learn in 2000. The phone I carry that cost me $100 is more powerful than that first computer I bought that cost me over 10 times that. Still amazing to me where we have gotten in a very short time.

Alexx,

Consider reading some of Ray Kurzweil's stuff about our bodies in the future (mankind) becoming cybernetic, that is a mixture of tech, flesh and blood. Part man, part machine...he calls it the 'singularity'. Oh, this is not Science Fiction and he's been right more than he's been wrong.

He's now a director of engineering at Google, he has made 147 predictions since the 1990s, and has maintained an astonishing 86% accuracy rate. Well, how can we be certain of the accuracy of this claim? Beats me, but maybe...

He's quite the guy and thinks if he can last long enough this tech/flsesh mixture will come about he hopes in his life time (doubtful, but who knows?) and he along with all those who find this state appealing will be rendered immortal...he says.

Also, they'll be available genetics to make people smarter and there will be those who can't afford this stuff so we'll have new reasons to battle each other.

The under-powered, physical/mental underclass will rebel with mixed results...kinda like now, only different...

Alexx,

Consider reading some of Ray Kurzweil's stuff about our bodies in the future (mankind) becoming cybernetic, that is a mixture of tech, flesh and blood. Part man, part machine...he calls it the 'singularity'. Oh, this is not Science Fiction and he's been right more than he's been wrong.

He's now a director of engineering at Google, he has made 147 predictions since the 1990s, and has maintained an astonishing 86% accuracy rate. Well, how can we be certain of the accuracy of this claim? Beats me, but maybe...

He's quite the guy and thinks if he can last long enough this tech/flsesh mixture will come about he hopes in his life time (doubtful, but who knows?) and he along with all those who find this state appealing will be rendered immortal...he says.

Also, they'll be available genetics to make people smarter and there will be those who can't afford this stuff so we'll have new reasons to battle each other.

The under-powered, physical/mental underclass will rebel with mixed results...kinda like now, only different...
At the rate tech has changed nothing would really seem impossible to me now. It moves so fast now I am surprised we never got the flying cars I was promised as a kid :D

I have to admit I've been wanting one of these lately. They are bluetooth capable and pair with your smartphone. You can make calls, listen to music, read texts aloud, etc. I'll be the coolest kid on my block.
View attachment 557018
That's funny. I got one of these for my brother last Christmas. He uses it at work (engineer) and loves the audible "transmission ended" message at the end of each call.

Never noticed this issue. my wife had an lg that any sounds in general werent great. But im on my 3rd Samsung without sound quality complaints. The phones we have at my job give pretty mixed results and those are not cell phones. so...

Maybe you're really lucky. Or maybe you've got used to the "quality" of
"I just realized that people are WILLING prisoners of their phones.
That's why they're called CELLphones."

Fixed it for you. ;)

These things are labeled 'phones'.

They aren't.

They are: Instruments for the making of staring, unfeeling 'pod people'.

People swear 'fealty' to them, list their endless pluses, not appreciating their insidious inveigling into human consciousness to our downfall.

Smart phones and their ilk will one day kill us all...so by all means, tell me how great they are and how you can't live without them....which should tell you something...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top