JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tonight I went to Chipotle and as I am sitting there eating my burrito I see a sign posted over by the restrooms that says No Firearms Permitted in this Area. So I read the rest and it says Wa state law prohibts firearms by anyone other than law enforcement officers, including concealed weapons permit holders under RCW 9.41.300. So I look it up and I it does read that no weapons are allowed in any establishment licensed under the liquor control commission. I don't see anything in subsection d that includes CWL holders but maybe I am missing something.

Anyway this just got me thinking that if CWL holders can't carry anywhere that serves liquor than most restaurants are out.

Also just FYI I was not carrying tonight as I was on the job and my work has a policy against weapons while on the job.

As I undstand the law, as a concealed carry holder you are not allowed to carry in an area of a restaurant that is restricted to 21 years of age and older. For example if you go to Red Lobster, you can carry in the main restaurant, but not in the bar which is 21 and over. However, as with all laws relating to firearms I strongly suggest looking it up for yourself.

I read the law and I agree it sounds like only the age restricted areas are no carry areas. This Chipotle I don't believe has any age restricted areas. I think I will send them an e-mail stating the issue and ask for the sign to be removed. I will also ask them to respect and understand that law abiding citizens don't pose a risk, only bad guys that don't follow the law anyway and certainly won't follow a sign they have posted. This hopefully heading off a policy they think to put in place to make anybody with a CPL unwelcome.

It's only the age-limited sections of the restaurant.

If you're not sure, ask the manager which sections are "over-21 only." -They are supposed to be signed according to state law.

I was at a restaurant where ONLY 21+ were allowed after a certain hour. We had come before that hour and were enjoying a beer AFTER thsat hour outside. According to the manager, we were fine as long as we stayed outside at the tables there.

Find me a jury that would find me guilty of the INFRACTION under WA state law for having carried my gun to and from the restroom. And find me the prosecutor stupid enough to bring those charges.

This is a law that is virtually NEVER enforced because everyone grasps it's stupid as Hell and unenforceable. I pointedly disarm before I go into a place I know is over-21 only. But that's a rare occurence, and usually a momentary one.

Concealed Means Concealed. And if you violate state law, it's a pissant charge with pretty meaningless consequences. Take that for what it's worth.

I've never seen a Chipotle with a age restricted bar area. They are misusing the sign/RCW if they are trying to ban from the entire establishment. All they can do is ask you to leave

For what it's worth I carried while going into the Chipotle in Vancouver...not always completely concealed...and never had an issue and don't remember seeing that sign

I've never seen a Chipotle with a age restricted bar area. They are misusing the sign/RCW if they are trying to ban from the entire establishment. All they can do is ask you to leave

For what it's worth I carried while going into the Chipotle in Vancouver...not always completely concealed...and never had an issue and don't remember seeing that sign

The sign is on the wall near the restrooms facing the dining area. My main concern is that the sign could be essentially telling the uninformed public that anybody with a weapon in the restaurant, other than law enforcement, is breaking the law. Thus enforcing the stigma that all guns are bad and those with guns are bad. Given if you are concealing properly they would never know. It is the restaurant reinforcing the state of mind the media portrays that I am most unhappy with.

Any place posted by the WA Liquor Control Board as "21 and over only" is restricted, CPL or not. If the place is posted as "21 and over" you cannot take your child in there, or a weapon...so, the only rest room of a restaraunt that is in the posted area???? That does not seem reasonable.

A restaraunt that serves liquor, but is not posted as "21 and over" is OK for kids and weapons, CPL or not, Opencarry, or concealed (assuming the restaraunt management allows for kids and weapons, as it will not be a state restriction.)

BTW: if the post "no weapons" that is not a WA liquor control baord posting...that is someone else. The liquor control board only posts "21 and over only"

I did have to educate a restaraunt owner that had an attached bar before...They thought the weapons restriction was for the building, not just the "21 and over" bar area.

I've never seen a Chipotle with a age restricted bar area. They are misusing the sign/RCW if they are trying to ban from the entire establishment. All they can do is ask you to leave.
McGraths in Vancouver does the same thing, it's posted right at the front door as though it applies to the whole restaurant. I ignore it.

As I undstand the law, as a concealed carry holder you are not allowed to carry in an area of a restaurant that is restricted to 21 years of age and older. For example if you go to Red Lobster, you can carry in the main restaurant, but not in the bar which is 21 and over. However, as with all laws relating to firearms I strongly suggest looking it up for yourself.

Jleepa, you are correct. In a restaurant they can serve boose, and you can carry. In the dedicated bar areas, where you have to be 21, you can not carry.

Winner,winners chicken dinners!!

EMC, does that restaurant turn into a bar at a certain time?
After 9-10 no kids allowed?
That could be the reason for the sign.

Winner,winners chicken dinners!!

EMC, does that restaurant turn into a bar at a certain time?
After 9-10 no kids allowed?
That could be the reason for the sign.

Chipotle is a franchise "gourmet" burrito bar type place. They close at 10 and really don't even serve much for alcohol. You can get a bottled beer or a margarita with your burrito. They have no reason to have that RCW posted as it's open to all ages open-close

No age restriction signs I have ever seen there. But the no firearms sign caught my attention.

If you want to test the waters, take your "under age" son, nephew, brother, sister, daughter, niece, friend... to the restaraut...If they kick you out, it's a bar and you cannot carry (also suposed to be posted "No-one under 21" or "21 and under only". So let's assume you are eating with this under age person "needs" to go to the bathroom...

If it is a BS sign the child will be able to go. I'm betting it is a BS sign.

You do not need a CPL to open carry into a restaraunt that serves liquor. A CPL will NOT get you an exemption in a bar in WA...it is NO CARRY if it is posted 21 and over only by the LCB.

McGraths in Vancouver does the same thing, it's posted right at the front door as though it applies to the whole restaurant. I ignore it.

Was there on Saturday, saw the sign when entering on the left where the bar entry is, as if it applies to the bar area only. They allowed my kid in the restaurant (vocal chords are a deadly weapon, at least to the ears. Maybe I should get some electronic hearing protection for in the home. :)).

Horribly bland food by the way, although well made, but I guess it appeals to a target audience.

An update on the Chipotle sign: So after I made the original post I sent Chipotle an email through their website. Never did get a response, but tonight I stopped in for the first time since making the original post and how about that, the sign is gone. I looked around to see if they moved it or posted a sign at the entrance. Nothing.

Happy to see the change.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top