JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There have been cases where people have been charged with a crime because they were not adequately addressing medical problems.

If somebody was diagnosed for sleep apnea and was not following Doctor's recommendation for treatment, what might happen if they were involved in a accident? Is it likely that the court could order release of your medical records including CPAP machine data to authorities or plantiffs?

It seems like that data may be available:

I am returning my sleep study unit this morning. I am glad it failed to record yesterday since I had no intentions of using a pap machine of any sorts. It was a requirement to complete the sleep study before Kaiser would pursue any other treatment options for my low testosterone. But since I raised my testosterone levels on my own above the 250 ng/dl treatment cut off levels, Kaiser isn't going to help me anyways.

My wife drives, her records are uploaded from the CPAP on a regular basis. They are used when she is in an accident. Also,
If she does not meet the required compliance rate, she can be terminated.

I think she has a 97%+ rate. It does get calculated to include times off the device, ie if you get up to pee, and for how long you sleep each night - ie 7 hrs vs 8hrs.

I don' t know about being charged with a crime.

More big brother. Great...
Good thing my narcolepsy is not formally diagnosed. :eek:
I am returning my sleep study unit this morning. I am glad it failed to record yesterday since I had no intentions of using a pap machine of any sorts. It was a requirement to complete the sleep study before Kaiser would pursue any other treatment options for my low testosterone. But since I raised my testosterone levels on my own above the 250 ng/dl treatment cut off levels, Kaiser isn't going to help me anyways.
I don't click on any of those "raise your testosterone levels" click-bait links. Can you divulge how you raised yours?

More big brother. Great...
Good thing my narcolepsy is not formally diagnosed. :eek:

I don't click on any of those "raise your testosterone levels" click-bait links. Can you divulge how you raised yours?
I am not sure because I did four things simultaneously.

1. I quit my low carb diet.

2. I am trying really hard to not think about some major stressors in my life.

3. I started going to a gym and lifting heavy mostly low reps to failure. I also do cardio but try keep my heart rate under 120 bpm.

4. I started sleeping more, aiming for 8 hours. Maybe more on weekends.

I am dieting again but not low carb and I am keeping my daily calorie deficit pretty low around 300 calories based on some online TDEE calculators. I've read that carrying extra fat can keep your testosterone down so I want to shed the extra fat over the next year and half.

My last testosterone test results were 367 ng/dl of total testosterone and 48 pg/ml of free testosterone. My previous test about two months before was 246 ng/dl of total testosterone and 25 pg/ml of free testosterone.

My wife drives, her records are uploaded from the CPAP on a regular basis. They are used when she is in an accident. Also,
If she does not meet the required compliance rate, she can be terminated.

I think she has a 97%+ rate. It does get calculated to include times off the device, ie if you get up to pee, and for how long you sleep each night - ie 7 hrs vs 8hrs.

I don' t know about being charged with a crime.
Looks like they tried to pass something in to law back in 2011. Pretty severe penalties too. Not sure what happened with these bills. Of course the sleep med lobbyist were pushing these bill. There are many billions of dollars being made in the pap machine and sleep study lab industry.

I am not saying nobody benefits from sleep apnea therapies but I bet there are plenty of opportunities for unnecessary diagnosis

TMI!!!

Can you divulge how you raised yours?

Massive amounts of coitus...

Regarding the OP, for professional drivers it can be an issue. Fatigue is a common factor in commercial vehicle crashes, especially over the road. Definitely fare game in this realm. For others, possibly. When I would reconstruct a fatal traffic collision we generally tried to take at least a 24 hours snapshot of parties involved so determine all the factors. From the laws where I worked, something like this could be the difference between simple and gross negligence. The most common one we would see was with folks who were not taking care of their diabetes. They would have an episode, drift over and pick off a cyclist or pedestrian, occasionally another vehicle. Did it result in additional charges? Seldom honestly, but the possibility is there. For background, I'm currently conducting safety training for professional drivers around the country and know this is a common issue.

I knew I had serious sleep apnea for many years before I finally got tested and treated. The final straw was when I was driving about 300mi a day for my several biz activities. Whenever I drove, I became sleepy. When I couldn't stay awake no matter what I did, then would have mini-sleeps while passing big rigs hauling doubles etc in the rain or snow, it was way past time to get it done before somebody died.

I have to say that uncontrolled sleep apnea ruined my health. Low oxygen levels destroy all organs and bone marrow. It's a serious health issue that has serious consequences when ignored or put off. CPAP is not fun, but bad health is not fun, nor I imagine would be killing others as a result of falling asleep while driving. This is way beyond the concern of the law or civil liability. I can just imagine how it would feel to be responsible for killing a family or someone whose family loves them and depends on them!!!!!!!

Don't phuck around with sleep apnea... take it from someone that knows!

My wife lets me know if I stop breathing at night with a elbow to the rib cage seems to make me start breathing immediately,

I knew I had serious sleep apnea for many years before I finally got tested and treated. The final straw was when I was driving about 300mi a day for my several biz activities. Whenever I drove, I became sleepy. When I couldn't stay awake no matter what I did, then would have mini-sleeps while passing big rigs hauling doubles etc in the rain or snow, it was way past time to get it done before somebody died.

I have to say that uncontrolled sleep apnea ruined my health. Low oxygen levels destroy all organs and bone marrow. It's a serious health issue that has serious consequences when ignored or put off. CPAP is not fun, but bad health is not fun, nor I imagine would be killing others as a result of falling asleep while driving. This is way beyond the concern of the law or civil liability. I can just imagine how it would feel to be responsible for killing a family or someone whose family loves them and depends on them!!!!!!!

Don't phuck around with sleep apnea... take it from someone that knows!

This!

I used to have trouble breathing while lying on my back in bed. My wife complained that I was snoring too loud. So I got a referral to an ENT doc, he took a laser and burned away part of the back of the roof of my mouth. Sounds grim, actually the part that went away was that little dingus flap that hangs down in the middle of the back of the mouth. The worst part was the smell of burning flesh as the procedure was done. So I didn't go the CPAP route and I don't regret the procedure as an alternative. It worked for me. Downside, I can't gargle very well. And I can't roll my R's in German in the back of my mouth anymore, I have to fake it with trilling my tongue. Here's the word for the procedure:
Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty

My wife has sleep apnea and had the uvula burned out by a quack doctor. We should have sued the dirty sob. She uses a cpap and it is noisy for me sometimes but it keeps her alive.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top