JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On Tuesday I went to Keith's to get a Glock 23, and since I have a DPSST card I figured I'd get the discount. I told the redhead girl behind the counter that I have my card with me and she tells me NO, DPSST cards can be forged. I was told that I have to show my work ID and I can get the discount on the glock. I had to drive all the way back to expo center (area I work) in traffic and get my badge.... so I'm already like WHATEVER......
I get back to Keith's just in time and I go in, I am just ready to buy the gun and get out because to be honest, I really don't care for Keith's but I really was getting a pretty good deal. Once inside I find someone to get me the gun and start the paperwork. As some of you know, customer service blows and I was kinda warned a few days earlier lol..... Oh yeah and if you are licensed to carry and you open carry you have to unload the gun prior to going inside the store but you can conceal carry :nuts:
So before I walked out the store I had to ask about the unloading weapons before entrance. The lady tells me store policy and I say OK, and I also said that it was understandable do to the place being private property etc..... she also tells me at that time that CC is okay. I was open carrying and my pistol was unloaded too, so out of no where this red headed fat guy that I guess works there, he drives the silver hummer H3 truck? so he just butts in and tells me "in gresham you can't open carry". I said SIR! I have a CHL and he tells me it doesn't matter. By this time I'm like WOW, this guy must be nuts..... I quote the Oregon laws to this guy (166.173 and 166.370) and he looks me in the eyes and pretty much tells me NO! I told the guy that I said what I said based on the laws.... his defense was that he was a cop for 15 years and that in Portland you need an "OPEN CARRY LICENSE" if you open carry. I quickly thanked everyone around me and walked out FAST. I started to laughing so hard after I left the store, I almost tinkled myself lol. After I was done laughing I decided to open the box and check everything and I am glad I did because I had a Glock 23 that is a .40 cal but I had two mags that were .40 and the third one was a 9mm, so I had to go back and they gave me the right mag.

so now back to my question, AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
I have never heard of an OPEN CARRY LICENSE and I know with a valid CHL I can open carry in public..... so what is wrong here? because as far as I can tell this guy was full of boublegum.

well to be honest with you guys, I wouldn't even drop the kids of at the pool at Keith's bathroom on my worst day..... but I did save $100 lol. If I owned a gun shop I wold never treat people like that..... I must say that out of all places, I would choose GUNBROKER in Tigard (never been to the other locations). Heck I just picked up a used Mossberg 500 from them yesterday. I would rather pay a few dollars more and go to gunbroker plus there is a cool meat shop next to gunbroker in tigard and they guy has some bomb sausages hehehehehe.:D

LOL

Open carry license.
It's right with a Lummox license.

Definitely full what's left on toilet paper

Keith's, once again proving that "bigger is not necessarily better". :s0112::s0114::s0112::s0114:

I will never go the their store again. (Was there once to pick up pistol). Just a bunch of arrogant know-nothings.

Just my humble opinion. :D

I've been in Kieth's twice, both times I went in with specific items in mind, (.45 colt ammo, .45 colt speedloaders ) No questions, no wasted time.

Prices vary, We found my wife's gun for a hundred less at another shop later, but some of their other prices look about right for the market in general.

I've only dealt with the ladies, but I haven't given them anything but easy stuff to find.

I went into the "gun room" to ask about possibly using .327 federal casings in an 1895 Nagant. (not the load, just the brass, not gonna blow my face off being stupid)

Started in on how it was a worthless cartridge, he started trying to sell me a .357 compact revolver.... Till I interrupted, and asked him how exactly I was supposed to fit a .357 into an 1895.

I drove the gentleman to speechlessness and he walked away. It was worth the drive, to see the look of a professional salesman shoving his foot (up to the knee) in his mouth.

Shooter's Service in St. Johns (it's 5 blocks from me, and I've heard nothing but good things about their repair work too, I'll let you know if I break an antique and have them fix it ) and NW armory have so far been the most comfortable stores for me as of yet, but I keep driving around town to keep the eyes wide open.

Your hard earned dollars go to encourage his incompetence.

I cant believe you actually went through with the transaction.
Use your money to support a better business....

biggie24420 said:
well to be honest with you guys, I wouldn't even drop the kids of at the pool at Keith's bathroom on my worst day..... but I did save $100 lol............

..... I would rather pay a few dollars more and go to gunbroker plus there is a cool meat shop next to gunbroker in tigard and they guy has some bomb sausages hehehehehe.

You wouldnt go there, but you did to save a few dollars, but it's worth spending more to go elsewhere?

I've heard of people flip/flopping.. but you take the cake.
You have no idea what's going on right now, do you? :s0114:

Keiths.
Consistently low prices, and good selection.
Consistently poor customer service, and insulting treatment.
Pretty much what happens when you have relatives that come from money and dont understand work ethics ,period. Keith just has a lot of inventory and knows people will come to him for the high volume and low prices. He needs people he can trust, he doesn't care if they make the sale, he just needed people to open glass case doors and make sure a weapon doesn't grow legs and walk out the door.
Saying that I've banked on a mistake they made, I had bought two pistols on two different days and both times the brown haired guy, whos always on his LG phone, didnt ask for my fingerprints, a week goes by and I get a frantic voicemail asking me to come in,I call and I told them I cant make it out for a month and I'm working odd hours, so she asked if she can come to me, but time is valuable to a 25y/o like myself and I said sure, a couple hours later she came to my house with 2-50 rnd boxes of blazer 45acp, and said this is for your troubles. Took my thumbprints and drove off. I have to say, shes either his wife or a good accountant, but regardless had to cover her butt for the paperwork.

A few years ago I had purchased some Surefire hi cap mags for a Saiga .308 from Keith's. The guy (don't remember which one) said they were great mags & I should go try them out that weekend. I told him I'd like to but had to wait until I got around to doing the 922 compliance work on the rifle as it was still stock. He said since the Surefire mags were American made that it was ok to use them in an unconverted rifle. I began explaining 922 to him but insisted he was right....so I thanked him & left....I just took it as confirmation that it wasn't the place to go to for advice.....on the good side though, every other time I've been to Keith's I've received good service on the days that business was slow, and the typical lack of service when they had about a million people in there...due to the amount of customers vying for their attention I didn't think it was necessarily a bad sign....and speaking of bad places to get advice from, even if that other guy was an ex cop w/15 years on the job that doesn't mean much....just because cops carry guns doesn't make them experts. Some are more knowledgeable than others and I've heard plenty of incorrect firearms related info being spouted by many of them. It can be very beneficial to double check advice given on topics that can get you in trouble when you're non compliant.

I have heard back in the day security guards had to get an open carry license to wear a gunbelt with weapon since they weren't police. We are talking a long long time ago haha. CWP now covers them.

As for the service at Keith's its true. Great inventory but horrible customer service. Think how great the store could be if they actually cared.

MrNiceGuy...... I saved $100... so that's why....I can't get into detail but trust me if I could avoid Keith's I would but I had no choice. I would pay $20-$30 more and go to another gun shop.....that's what I ment...... If I sound like a flip flop oh well brotha lol but I ain't going back to Keith's again :)

Never had a bad experience at Keith's except them being busy and having to wait to buy something but thats understandable if they are busy. I will say I like Gunbroker in Clackamas and NW Armory better because they have a more neighborly feel to them.

You guys are missing the point. OP is security and, being DPSST licensed, he can get any model Glock for around $400 new. Hey OP, on your next Glock purchase, check out Extreme Products across the street from The Gunbroker in Clackamas. They have just about the same deal on Glocks and the M&P line.

They also don't require company photo-ID (which my company refuses to provide).

your hard earned dollars go to encourage his incompetence.

I cant believe you actually went through with the transaction.
Use your money to support a better business....

You wouldnt go there, but you did to save a few dollars, but it's worth spending more to go elsewhere?

I've heard of people flip/flopping.. But you take the cake.
You have no idea what's going on right now, do you? :s0114:

+1000000

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews