JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, the market is OVER saturated with AR rifles. I still remember the days when only 3 major manufacturers made them and they were standard A1/A2 configs. Frankly, back in the day it was Bushmaster or Colt. Olympic had pretty "loose" parts and weren't great. That's why Colt and BM had US contracts. Look at what 20 years can do :D

Absolutely nothing wrong with the magpul AK mags, mine have been 100%, and don't show any sign of letting me down.

But, when the tried and true commie steel mags are at, or even below the price of the magpuls, why worry about locking lugs and feedlips.

:DNever really have been interested in an ak platform but for some reason I want to add one to the stable. Why in the hell are they almost all over the price of an ar. Is it the wrong time to buy one of these or are there some deals I'm missing out on? I like the idea of buying one and running anything threw it and beating it to the ground. Anyone have some ak advise?

Popularity my friend. The minute the AK market became flooded manufacturers gizmos from Magpul, TWS, MWI, Manticore..etc it was all over.

The day of the $400 AK is over. Some folks selling theirs privately may sell for around $500-$550 but most AKs are now $600+ new.

Between RAS47, DDI, Zastava M92's, Zastava Npaps/Opaps amd a few others thats what really upped the AK craze, we had new different models out but most of all we now have fun parts to swap out on them, giving insentive for personalization.

Until the next big "platform" craze hits the market and sales drop on AKs. Sadly, even with all the new AK accessories hitting the market Im amazed ammo manufacterers have not stepped their 7.62x39 load game up. Its still all the basic 123-124gr FMJ steel cased stuff..

No new exciting loads since that jabronie of a caliber 300blk came out. Seems like everyone gravitated towards that and put effort into new 300blk loads instead.

I used to be in the AK collecting game until the prices started to really rise with each panic, then with the introduction of those new accessories it seems like there wasnt any cost savings in AKs anymore, so I went the AR route for a bit.

Now, if you're feeling a bit creative you can buy a parts kit (usually with a new barrel) for around $350 on Apex or AK builder. The kits range from M70's to Tantels.. You could then build one for (roughly) $400-$490 especially of you had building tools or borrowed them.

It would be hard to compete with the prices of the 7.62x39 ammo that is available. Even some soft points can be had at $.25-$.32 a round. Which ois probably why you don't see a lot of people getting into it like you do with 5.56. That and a few other reasons.

I like my AK. Accurate enough at 200 yards. That's about the farthest I've been able to shoot at my spots. But mostly I like the round, 7.62x39.

I had a tacticool Siaga that weighed a ton. I traded it for a basic Zastva N-Pap AK which cost about $550 three years ago and have no regrets. Though I don't shoot it as much as my AR because 223 is easier to come by these days. Saving my 7.62 for a rainy day.

If you want a traditional AK and don't intend to modify it n-paps are great. If you might modify it go with something else because a lot of parts won't fit. But they are light, tough and accurate.

This has turned into a great thread. Thank you for your answers. I ended up deciding on a Import Wasr. Bought it new under $650 and they told me they would make sure it didn't have off sights. ZA survivelist I love this reply "The day of the $400 AK is over. Some folks selling theirs privately may sell for around $500-$550 but most AKs are now $600+ new". It put me at easy as I kept thinking Im going to find a new $400 good AK. I just don't think it will ever happen again. The debate on mags is great. I am buying up quite a few different types and will run which is best. I am going to take everyones advise and try Croatian, Magpul, Yugoslavian, bakelite. I still need to buy the Yugo and bakelight. Bakelites are sooooo expensive so I hope they don't run at all in my gun :).

This has turned into a great thread. Thank you for your answers. I ended up deciding on a Import Wasr. Bought it new under $650 and they told me they would make sure it didn't have off sights. ZA survivelist I love this reply "The day of the $400 AK is over. Some folks selling theirs privately may sell for around $500-$550 but most AKs are now $600+ new". It put me at easy as I kept thinking Im going to find a new $400 good AK. I just don't think it will ever happen again. The debate on mags is great. I am buying up quite a few different types and will run which is best. I am going to take everyones advise and try Croatian, Magpul, Yugoslavian, bakelite. I still need to buy the Yugo and bakelight. Bakelites are sooooo expensive so I hope they don't run at all in my gun :).

Definitely check AIM Surplus for the Yugo BHO mags - best prices I've seen.

So where can I buy this IO AK47?
Because we are destined to be BFFs, I wouldn't recommend IO to you. Good trigger, yes, but there's been lots of issues with IO. I'm not sure if this applies to all of the models but I know the ones I've handled in the past had a lot of cast parts. I mean if it's just going to sit around then it should be fine but if you're like me where you want something that's zombie ready and more robust then I'd spend just a little more to get something else.

The PSA AKs have gone down a little bit in price and are an excellent value for a made in USA AK. The wasr, npap, and opap are solid lower priced AKS. Aside from IO, the only other AK I would not recommend is the RAS47 for the same reasons of too many cast parts. Again, if you just want to have an AK to have one and don't plan on putting a few thousand rounds through then the IO or RAS47 should be fine. Just my $.02.

Seeing as how one can get a WASR for a little over $100 over the cost of an I.O, there's no reason to get an I.O.

Though a PSA AK could be decent for around the same price (if doing the "DIY kits" route they have now).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top