JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the great Reduction Of Junk continues why does it seem things that once meant so much now appear trivial and almost stupid to keep? I am thinking new interests, or the rekindling of old overshadow those of the past or less interesting. Answers to the title question will be appreciated. Thanks.

It all depends. You know yourself best. Some people have sort of a focused interests and once that focus shifts to something new, the old is left behind and forgotten.
If you're depressed then most likely you'd be disinterested in everything. Another sign would be not feeling like going anywhere.
The seasons can get to a lot of people around here.

If you are close to 35 this is normal for most and is a cycle that repeats itself over the years.
If you are older it is very likely depression especially if you have had a significant event in your life recently.

I dunno but I have heard that firearms and depression don't mix well due to the high success rate of attempted suicides with them.

See a psychiatrist, he can put you on some happy pills that will get you back to normal. Worked for me. Probably kept me out of prison, or doing something stupid enough to go to prison since I now think more clearly and concisely, and my decision making isn't foggy due to depression. Probably help you when you handle your firearm as well, if becoming a better shooter is a goal of yours.

As the great Reduction Of Junk continues why does it seem things that once meant so much now appear trivial and almost stupid to keep? I am thinking new interests, or the rekindling of old overshadow those of the past or less interesting. Answers to the title question will be appreciated. Thanks.

I actually find cleaning out old crap liberating. The trivial goes and the important stays. Over time trivial and important can change places. As far as depression goes if you feel that way then by all means secure professional help and give your firearms up to a trusted friend. I have been on an anti-depressant now for a little over 6 months and both my wife and I agree that it has helped "level me". My issues were less emotional than they were from life events (cancer diagnosis). At any rate, don't get caught up in the stigma of depression or "happy drugs". Do what you should do to be a good husband, father, brother, uncle, friend.

Normal, you are moving so you dont want to drag all the stuff around. You have been a pack rat and assumed you would get back into some of that stuff but always found new stuff to deflect attention. Now you are finding old stuff and realizing you wont get to it anytime soon and hate to move it so get rid of it. This is the typicle pack rat quandry when moving. Most people have a rule if you havent used or touched it in a year get rid of it, but I'm a pac rat so it's ten years for me unless someone comes along needing it worse than me.

Normal, you are moving so you dont want to drag all the stuff around. You have been a pack rat and assumed you would get back into some of that stuff but always found new stuff to deflect attention. Now you are finding old stuff and realizing you wont get to it anytime soon and hate to move it so get rid of it. This is the typicle pack rat quandry when moving. Most people have a rule if you havent used or touched it in a year get rid of it, but I'm a pac rat so it's ten years for me unless someone comes along needing it worse than me.

Oh...OP is moving? Yeah, perfectly normal then.

Ask your doc for a scrip for Amytriptaline or Imipramine. If taking it makes you feel better you were depressed. If you weren't depressed you may find yourself dreaming while you're awake, which is not unpleasant but may inhibit functionality when driving or operating heavy machinery. Moving is enough to make anybody depressed and tricyclic antidepressants don't help you get moved.

I moved here a year ago, having moved out of my house of 13 years. I took 7 truck loads of stuff(insert the word junk) to the local dump and intially I was extremely distraught about it because all I could see was the $$$$ going down the drain. However, now, I have a tough time expressing how happy it made me feel. It was extremely liberating. Sure, I was a tad depressed about loosing my home, but the thought of moving to a better location with a job in place was a far greater joy than the depression could ever be.
After a year...I am still riding the "high" from the move. I stopped accumalating stuff and started working on the hobbies that actually mean something, other than busy work.
So, if you are moving, yeah, you are pretty normal.

In the NW it is probably normal this time of year ( Til MAy?)
Why I moved to Arizona - Boy it makes a difference seeing the sun everyday
I just moved and we looked at items we have had for 35 years . I mean we have some of our kids toys.
So we started the process to start getting rid of stuff.
One part was - I can;t believe all the dollars we spent on this stuff
Flip side it was nice to get rid of stuff that just took up space.

A different way to look at it: I have used this stuff - It is time for someone else to use it.

I change main hobbies about every 5 to 8 years I tend to go whole hog into the new one while maintaining interest in the old one. I am currently moving from vintage stereo gear collectioning and building stereo systems back into firearms (granted this has been a hobby for the last 42+ years) so things like extra amplifiers and spare turn tables and such are getting closer and closer to eBay as I find more things in my shooting hobby I want to expand on. Now the hobby I was nuts about before the Stereo stuff was Photography and I amassed a huge amount of gear and stuff. Now most of that is headed to eBay with only the most important and valuable stuff staying.

I've spent most of this year sorting stuff and trying to get rid of stuff no longer needed, important, or cherished. The results are almost 80 years of National Geographic magazine reduced to a couple small boxes. The rest I hate to say went to the recycle bin. I have tossed all sorts of things this year the goal being to get rid of an apple box of stuff a week.

Anyone want a box of 8 track tapes???? they go by by next.

Anyone want a box of 8 track tapes???? they go by by next.

If they're Donnie n Marie, KC and the Sunshine Band or Carpenters..........Yep my sister has a big collection of those and LP's. Even the John Wayne album no one knows exists.

Someone mentioned you are moving? If so, that is totally normal. I've gone through so many phases of interests in my life. If I had to sort through all my junk to move, I'd feel the same way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top