JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Definitely good info for people that read the thread as it is worth picking up even at a little higher price. I just scanned the price on my phone and saw that then mostly looked at reviews on the web. Figured there must be a cheaper way to get it but did not have to even look into it more with my buddy having a copy.

So, is your gun forever stolen in the police database(s) going forward?

ALSO, how did it 'pop up' stolen to the dealer? (can FFL's check police data??? (news to me)) I would sure as hell like access to that database when buying a gun, it would be really nice if john q public could just not buy stolen property.

I'm totally against gun registries and whatnot in general, but it seems to me a public database of STOLEN guns would be great, it would totally curtail the black market and probably even reduce theft if they weren't so easy to convert to cash.

Here you go, have at it! What would we do without google?

The Firearms Unit provides a service to all Federally Licensed Firearms dealers in the state of Oregon by conducting the Firearms Instant Check backgrounds on persons attempting to purchase a firearm (ORS 166.412). Records of the transactions are kept for five years. This database is exempt from public inspection. The funding for this Unit is based on a current user fee of $10.00 per transaction. The Firearms Unit is open from 8am to 10pm every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas as mandated by law. The unit is also responsible for conducting background checks for private party sales at gun shows.

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

We have recently initiated the Oregon FICS Online System
You can now do transactions through the web
https://xn.osp.state.or.us/Fics/

Important Phone Numbers:

FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059

Local Alternate FICS Instant Check Number (For use when cell phone does not allow an 800 number) 503-585-6245

Challenge/Information line (for denied, delayed transactions or inquiries) 503-373-1808

FICS Unit Manager 503-934-2330

FICS Unit Supervisor 503-934-2364

OSP Firearms Instant Check Fax 503-370-8584

There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059
Thanks, I'll be sure to call next time I buy a used gun. In fact, I may just call in on some of the used guns that I have purchased in the past just to get a feel for how the check works and how long it takes.

Served in the military - prints are on file
Got a CPL in WA - prints are on file
Got CHL's in OR - prints are on file in 3 counties
Bought some guns in a store - prints are on file

I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal when I go get a CHL or buy a gun.

Everyone knows that murderers reload brass they pick up from public shooting areas and use that to commit their crimes. Another reason to police your brass!

Right, but having been printed, and the police matching a print off of a shell you sold are two radically different things.

They do occasionally run random searches for crime prints against everyone, but it's pretty rare. And even then the chances of a match are pretty slight. Like I said they usually run a rape-murder against lists of guys convicted of rape in the general vicinity of the crime for example, not some random military record from a guy 5 states over.

Odds are obviously higher than they got a good scan since they did it so many times, but when they 'print you' there is a lot of variation on which information gets recorded to the computer. X2 because they have the same or worse broblems off the shell that was sold, handled, and I guess used in a crime by another person.

Also I have a question about the origional post, when you buy bullets, do you like lick your thumb and press it flat on each shell to mark it? Who the heck worries about getting prints on bullets, besides seriously professional hit men? This story is getting fishier and fishier.

Here you go, have at it! What would we do without google?

The Firearms Unit provides a service to all Federally Licensed Firearms dealers in the state of Oregon by conducting the Firearms Instant Check backgrounds on persons attempting to purchase a firearm (ORS 166.412). Records of the transactions are kept for five years. This database is exempt from public inspection. The funding for this Unit is based on a current user fee of $10.00 per transaction. The Firearms Unit is open from 8am to 10pm every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas as mandated by law. The unit is also responsible for conducting background checks for private party sales at gun shows.

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

We have recently initiated the Oregon FICS Online System
You can now do transactions through the web
https://xn.osp.state.or.us/Fics/

Important Phone Numbers:

FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059

Local Alternate FICS Instant Check Number (For use when cell phone does not allow an 800 number) 503-585-6245

Challenge/Information line (for denied, delayed transactions or inquiries) 503-373-1808

FICS Unit Manager 503-934-2330

FICS Unit Supervisor 503-934-2364

OSP Firearms Instant Check Fax 503-370-8584

Wow that's awesome that it checks NCIS. Thank you for posting that up!

Right, but having been printed, and the police matching a print off of a shell you sold are two radically different things.

They do occasionally run random searches for crime prints against everyone, but it's pretty rare. And even then the chances of a match are pretty slight. Like I said they usually run a rape-murder against lists of guys convicted of rape in the general vicinity of the crime for example, not some random military record from a guy 5 states over.

Odds are obviously higher than they got a good scan since they did it so many times, but when they 'print you' there is a lot of variation on which information gets recorded to the computer. X2 because they have the same or worse broblems off the shell that was sold, handled, and I guess used in a crime by another person.

Also I have a question about the origional post, when you buy bullets, do you like lick your thumb and press it flat on each shell to mark it? Who the heck worries about getting prints on bullets, besides seriously professional hit men? This story is getting fishier and fishier.

Never really thought about the original post and your remark about licking his thumb. I sold a 18.5" Stoeger side by side 12 guage a couple years back...I regret this only because it was a good looking fun gun...Anyhow for the guy to give me full price he requested some ammo and I figured 12 guage is cheap why the hell not and filled up a zip lock freezer bag for the guy. Until your post I never gave it a second thought. I am learning more on legal issues but to my current knowledge does each gun not leave a slightly different firing pin strike on the primer? So with the bill of sale I am not in the least concerned about my ammo ever coming back for me along with as you said they run a criminal check for fingerprints and i know I am right in that us CHL holders are no criminals. I have been printed countless times for my CHL, buying countless guns at numerous shops, heck even the bank takes a thumb print when I cash a large check. So the only reason for concern would be a fishy reason as far as I can see. Stolen gun in the first place? Gun used in illegal activity so had to get rid of it? Dunno but why would you even think about it if you properly sold it..even minus a bill of sale you posted it online and got emails from the buyer. That in my mind would be evidence enough that you sold the piece along with ammo.

I have to say it is pretty sweet that I now have the number programmed into my phone to check a stolen gun. I will now be open more to trades and private sellers guns as for a while now I have stuck to only buying from a FFL for the most part. Thank you for the info Darknight.

The only way to really check is have a dealer run the serial number but even a app called hot guns on my iPhone has worked ok to let me know that a shotgun I almost bought was registered as stolen. Other than that I call my local shop and ask them to run the gun for me real quick as they can see in about less than a minute if its legit or stolen

Very interested in this app, have searched a bunch and found nothing.
Post a link please.

Very interested in this app, have searched a bunch and found nothing.
Post a link please.
I am surprised you could have searched much as one google search of "stolen gun database" brought up the site on the top of the google search list but either way here ya go HotGunz Stolen Gun Search However I recommend reading the other posts as the phone line posted is the real deal and programmed the number into my phone as it is much more reliable than any app. Deleted the app as now I can call a phone number that has all the stolen guns not just a few thanks to Darknight we have the same access as the police and FFL dealers at our disposal if you read on to his post.

Point being that someone has to add the gun to the database rather than having access to everyone who called in a stolen gun to the police. I would program the number and call in any guns you are considering as there is not room for error with that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top