JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe that 40calruler is both a little ignorant on how stolen items get reported and is referring to "de facto registration" that happens because of the paper trail that gets created when we buy a gun.

40calruler, DieselScout did a good job of explaining how stolen items are reported, it is usually part of the police report that details the break-in into your vehicle or home. I suppose you could just call up the police on the phone and say that someone stole your gun and you don't know when, where, or how and they'd still enter it into the system, but when it gets found you have to prove that it is yours if the person in possession asserts that they are the legal owner. Take for example that S&W M&P9 that you posted for sale earlier in the year, it is serial number DXD7769. Suppose that back when you listed it for sale that some bad dude called up the police and told them you stole it from them and you are now trying to sell it here. They would then need some kind of proof that it is theirs or they are going to get charged with filing a false report if you can produce any receipt or bill of sale. Even if you can't prove it is yours they can't either so you get to keep it.

The de facto registration comes from FFL transfers where the gun store must keep your paperwork for something like 3 years and the state police are supposed to get rid of theirs after 5 years. I always get a laugh when people whine about the FFL background check/registration then rush off to fill out the S&W lifetime warranty card. As if the enemies of the people couldn't take S&W customer records by force. I bought a S&W about 10 years ago so the original receipt in my possession should be the only existing document tying me to that gun because the warranty registration papers were never filled out. That doesn't mean the gun store didn't keep their papers and the state police aren't breaking the law, but there is no reason to expect a gun store to hoard unnecessary paperwork and the state police would be breaking they law if they could back up my claim that I own that firearm, so it is in fact not registered to me. If it got out that a gun store helped solve a stolen gun crime by producing sales records from 10 years ago they'd suddenly go out of business for lack of customers.

I think I would rather buy a firearm new from a gun store and trust that in 5 years the records are all destroyed than save $100 by buying private party and have to deal with not knowing if it is stolen and have the seller photo copy my ID and squirrel it away indefinitely. A seller does not need a bill of sale or a copy of the buyer's information so don't buy from sellers that require such records. It is the buyer that needs proof of legal acquisition and someone to point the finger at should it be reported stolen.

okay a little while back i traded a stevens shotgun and a couple boxes of cheap ammo to someone for a atc... i gathered some ammo and put them in the little boxes they come in.. I clearly left all my prints on each shell.. what if someone commits a crime leaving a shell casing behind with my prints?? Like if they didnt leave prints on them and just mine are on there?? do you guys touch ammo you sell or trade???

It's called an "Alibi"

If you have one, you don't have to worry about it. The first thing the police ask is "Where were you at this time and date"

There's one other thing to consider here. Fingerprints aren't etched into stone by God Almighty himself. They can decay with time, and when they get loaded, those prints will be smeared, smudged, damaged, or wiped away to varying extents. Heck, they might be replaced by newer ones.

Second, only the metal at the bottom of the shell will hold a good print. The plastic is sort of corrugated, which means there's less surface area to put a complete print on.

Combine that with the fact Policework includes a lot more than just fingerprints, and you've got little to worry about.

Typing is a little tough on a phone I will admit but either way when you buy a gun from a dealer, have it transferred via the Sheriffs department your name is attached to that gun. I have been through the experience of the gun popping up stolen, being confiscated, police contacting the owner who reported it stolen...not sure how they managed that if he was not a registered owner. Then finding out he had been paid by his rental insurance for his loss. Insurance companies at that point have the choice to take the gun or tell the officer in charge of the investigation they have no use for it...which they did and the officer allowed me to fill out a background check, wait a week or so and then come pick the gun up. Given it was owned by the insurance and they did not want it he said they could destroy it but would not because I clearly paid for it from my Bill of Sale and copy of the sellers ID. If the gun is not registered then maybe I am confused. If not in legally in my name and in the system how can I report the gun stolen and how can the police tell if it is owned by me or not? When they call in a background check they give the make, model, and serial number of the gun along with your personal info to clear you as a non felon to buy the gun. So either everything I have ever dealt with at a dealer is confused and wrong or you buy nothing but private sale guns and do not get fingerprinted and run through the system every time you buy a gun. Worrying about my feedback is a clear reach that you are a little to bothered of a disagreement which if I am wrong I have no problem with looking up and admitting so. Fabricated is a term for dishonest so yes it is bothersome and not a polite way of pointing out something to tell someone they are lying. I do believe you are unclear and maybe cannot but a gun from a real shop so do not know how that all works but either way I am done with you as you are not debating rather bashing because my phone likes to change words or capitalize improperly and have no clue why my feedback may be what it is. Show a little tact and if you want to correct someone do so with intelligence and kindness. It goes much further and the other person is much more likely to hear you out....seems that may not be what you want though. Rather just to argue over something silly. No need to further go on as you have made your opinion clear and I will do my own research without having to listen to someone who lacks kindness and tact and furthermore just looks to attack someones character that they do not know in any way shape or form. There is no need for that here and I carried on further than I should have with someone who lacks the proper means to carry on a debate or polite conversation. I hope those things come to you someday as most folks on here manage to do so.
I stand by my first post your story was fabricated " built by you with the intent to deceive" that is clear as a summer evening. You said the officer in charge was a nice guy and decided to legally register the gun to you. That is not what happened and we all know it. I can tell you know it now so the purpose of my post was successful. Am I sorry I didn't try harder to pick a softer term so as not to ruffle your feathers? Not really. Our conversation here is not a debate, and sometimes being polite is not the proper way to get your point across.
If you read back through your story you will see it changes each time so my short sweet post served its purpose you now understand your guns are not registered to you. No need to thank me this was a public service message.

... "I should have made popcorn" ...

My thoughts of this interesting series of posts.

I am now going to wipe my touch screen, so that my finger prints do not get connected with any stray Binary Code, those nasty little electrons carry all sorts of ~germs~ you know :D

philip
That wasn't me that posted this, it was that other person, who impersonates me, at times.

I got his address, when he handed me the twinkies, for me to take a bite out of.

But I secretly took his DNA, and gave it to the NSA, who got to the CIA, to quickly CYA. Ended up, he lives in the BoonDocks, right next to me.... Who'da thunk that????

I think I would rather buy a firearm new from a gun store and trust that in 5 years the records are all destroyed than save $100 by buying private party and have to deal with not knowing if it is stolen and have the seller photo copy my ID and squirrel it away indefinitely. A seller does not need a bill of sale or a copy of the buyer's information so don't buy from sellers that require such records. It is the buyer that needs proof of legal acquisition and someone to point the finger at should it be reported stolen.

The only part of your plan that is flawed is that last part. If the firearm is in your name, and you are selling it or trading it to someone else, you better make sure you get the information of who you transferred ownership to. First thing, you don't know how many sets of hands that gun will go through. Should that firearm turn up as being used in a crime, God forbid having killed someone, proving you made a responsible transfer might help keep you out of jail or from being sued. What you describe is exactly why the libtards & progressives want private transactions done away with.

Should that firearm turn up as being used in a crime, God forbid having killed someone, proving you made a responsible transfer might help keep you out of jail or from being sued.
That may very well happen in this country some day, but until then I refuse to trade the freedom of someone else for my security from potential frivolous lawsuits. Based upon the highest law of the land I have compiled the following list of questions that I would ask any prospective buyer before we begin discussing the purchase price:

... "I should have made popcorn" ...

My thoughts of this interesting series of posts.

I am now going to wipe my touch screen, so that my finger prints do not get connected with any stray Binary Code, those nasty little electrons carry all sorts of ~germs~ you know :D

philip
That wasn't me that posted this, it was that other person, who impersonates me, at times.

I got his address, when he handed me the twinkies, for me to take a bite out of.

But I secretly took his DNA, and gave it to the NSA, who got to the CIA, to quickly CYA. Ended up, he lives in the BoonDocks, right next to me.... Who'da thunk that????

Did with extra butter...

Did with extra butter...

Well, I am having my night meal now, powdered scrambled eggs, and I did them slow cook, in a Six inch cast iron fry pan... With Tillamook Butter, the Better Butter... Even though I am in Darigold Country!

Ya'll have a good night now, I am going to read a new to me online novel, downloaded from pawfiction, a pro boards forum... They have some real good writers there, not me... I forget to hang up the ohone sometimes, if that makes ~writers~ Sense !!!!

philip,
In the BoonDocks

I stand by my first post your story was fabricated " built by you with the intent to deceive" that is clear as a summer evening. You said the officer in charge was a nice guy and decided to legally register the gun to you. That is not what happened and we all know it. I can tell you know it now so the purpose of my post was successful. Am I sorry I didn't try harder to pick a softer term so as not to ruffle your feathers? Not really. Our conversation here is not a debate, and sometimes being polite is not the proper way to get your point across.
If you read back through your story you will see it changes each time so my short sweet post served its purpose you now understand your guns are not registered to you. No need to thank me this was a public service message.

As said if based on fact I find I am wrong then I do not have a problem saying so. A Clackamas county deputy takes my gun at the gun broker in the middle of the shop when I try to trade it in. Then a few weeks/maybe longer later I get a call saying that a rental insurance company had paid the person who reported it stolen and now being that the insurance company owned the gun and did not want the gun so he had the right to destroy it or allow me to fill out background info which was sent to me via mail. Once cleared he told me that I was now the "registered owner" of the firearm and he had done so since it was clear I had done nothing wrong. Clearly he had a need to feel powerful and I was ignorant enough to assume he knew and was being honest about the law. Which is why calling something I say fabricated will get me to pretty much not hear you out as there is no reason to be dishonest to sound cool or whatever your reasons are. Clearly I would have got the gun back had he been nice or a dick. I dealt with it and was thankful to get my gun back so bought whatever he was saying about it it right or wrong. Steve makes it clear it was wrong...You have made it clear but seem to want to make sure not only are you right but the other person is pissed and you insult along with your argument. I do not care to hear out someone that behaves that way right or wrong. You happen to be right on this issue but from your interaction I gather that right or wrong you kinda get off on arguing and using your keyboard to get someone going...Feedback, spelling, lying, all things that any decent man will be pissed off by when you have no clue as to what you are talking about when it comes to those issues. You happened to be correct in this but right or wrong in a real debate in the real world your way of speaking would not get you far in a business setting as you can make a point and get someone to understand minus trying to "ruffle feathers" which is your intent I am guessing more often than not. We are done and your point is made. I was under a different impression due to my dealings with a stolen gun and the fact that when they call in a background check they not only say your name and info but the guns serial number, make, model as well to the Sheriffs office. Be proud of your public service as it was done with much tact and your attitude is clearly a good kind person who wants to educate people on firearm laws.

I was an FFL for 6 years, there does exist a record of gun sales, however it is not quite registration. Every time a gun manufacturer sells a new gun to their distributer that gun is put upon a list. When the retailer buys the gun from the distributor it's purchase is recorded. Then of course when the end user buys the new firearm a 4473 form is filled out. The purchasers info is recorded & linked to the gun now, back all the way to the manufacturer. In the event that the gun is found at a crime scene, the justice dept will call the manufacturer who will call the distributor who will report just exactly which FFL the gun was sold to. The atf will then contact the FFL and ask him to search his records for the gun found at the crime scene & the original purchaser's (end user) name will be given to the atf. The atf may then decide to question this original purchaser. He may have sold the gun to someone else last week, month or year and that will effectively end the finding of the present day owner of the gun.

This process rarely works, as you can well imagine due to many gun owners becoming bored with their new purchase & selling or trading it off to another unidentified person (private sale, otherwise known as "the gunshow loophole")within the first year if not even sooner.

At times when a used gun is sold by an FFL this same in formation is recorded, however since the manufacturer (and therefore the distributor as well) has been cut from the "ownership loop" the information will generally only be available for the dept of (in)justice's after said FFL has retired and turned over his books.

In retrospect, if You are worried about your gun's registration finding it's way back to You, it is best to buy used guns, or learn how to tell the cops that "I sold that gun last week"...

This may be inaccurate for your state, perhaps AZ does a bit dif

As said if based on fact I find I am wrong then I do not have a problem saying so. A Clackamas county deputy takes my gun at the gun broker in the middle of the shop when I try to trade it in. Then a few weeks/maybe longer later I get a call saying that a rental insurance company had paid the person who reported it stolen and now being that the insurance company owned the gun and did not want the gun so he had the right to destroy it or allow me to fill out background info which was sent to me via mail. Once cleared he told me that I was now the "registered owner" of the firearm and he had done so since it was clear I had done nothing wrong. Clearly he had a need to feel powerful and I was ignorant enough to assume he knew and was being honest about the law. Which is why calling something I say fabricated will get me to pretty much not hear you out as there is no reason to be dishonest to sound cool or whatever your reasons are. Clearly I would have got the gun back had he been nice or a dick. I dealt with it and was thankful to get my gun back so bought whatever he was saying about it it right or wrong. Steve makes it clear it was wrong...You have made it clear but seem to want to make sure not only are you right but the other person is pissed and you insult along with your argument. I do not care to hear out someone that behaves that way right or wrong. You happen to be right on this issue but from your interaction I gather that right or wrong you kinda get off on arguing and using your keyboard to get someone going...Feedback, spelling, lying, all things that any decent man will be pissed off by when you have no clue as to what you are talking about when it comes to those issues. You happened to be correct in this but right or wrong in a real debate in the real world your way of speaking would not get you far in a business setting as you can make a point and get someone to understand minus trying to "ruffle feathers" which is your intent I am guessing more often than not. We are done and your point is made. I was under a different impression due to my dealings with a stolen gun and the fact that when they call in a background check they not only say your name and info but the guns serial number, make, model as well to the Sheriffs office. Be proud of your public service as it was done with much tact and your attitude is clearly a good kind person who wants to educate people on firearm laws.
Ok I get it. I say you fabricated a story, you get really pissed. Steve calls you ignorant, no probelamo. Confusing to me but hey I got to interact with a kind tactful decent man like you so its all good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top