JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This whole post is the reason why you can even print off a proper Bill of Sale from the Sheriffs office website. If you have a Bill of Sale and Dl or CHL info then you negate any possible worries after the transaction. I also like to snap a picture of the ID as well to have for my personal files just in case an issue like this came up...It did in a manner where a person on here sold me a stolen gun. I went to trade it in with a dealer as they wanted the gun since it was hard to find and offered a very fair price. Gun popped up stolen, cops came, acted like jerks at first I pulled my phone showed the emails, pic of bill of sale, and the guys ID picture and they apologized to me and left to go to his house. Turned out in the end he or someone else stole the gun and the victim was paid insurance for the stolen gun making it so he could not get it back since he went that route. Insurance had no use for it and told the officer to destroy it. He kindly told me I could have it as I was out money and it only seemed fair...Good guy and good cop, I got lucky.

This whole post is the reason why you can even print off a proper Bill of Sale from the Sheriffs office website. If you have a Bill of Sale and Dl or CHL info then you negate any possible worries after the transaction. I also like to snap a picture of the ID as well to have for my personal files just in case an issue like this came up...It did in a manner where a person on here sold me a stolen gun. I went to trade it in with a dealer as they wanted the gun since it was hard to find and offered a very fair price. Gun popped up stolen, cops came, acted like jerks at first I pulled my phone showed the emails, pic of bill of sale, and the guys ID picture and they apologized to me and left to go to his house. Turned out in the end he or someone else stole the gun and the victim was paid insurance for the stolen gun making it so he could not get it back since he went that route. Insurance had no use for it and told the officer to destroy it. He kindly told me I could have it as I was out money and it only seemed fair...Good guy and good cop, I got lucky.

So, is your gun forever stolen in the police database(s) going forward?

ALSO, how did it 'pop up' stolen to the dealer? (can FFL's check police data??? (news to me)) I would sure as hell like access to that database when buying a gun, it would be really nice if john q public could just not buy stolen property.

I'm totally against gun registries and whatnot in general, but it seems to me a public database of STOLEN guns would be great, it would totally curtail the black market and probably even reduce theft if they weren't so easy to convert to cash.

yea i had to get rid of it cause of some trouble i got in and got a felony6 on my record.. but pretty soon in a couple months that felony will be a misdermeoner since it was just a felony6 undessignated and I will go buy maybe a mossy 500.. Am only 19 and had only 2 guns in my life first a beautiful mosin m44.. then a stevens 350 but that thing was a piece of crap.. Am looking to get a mossy 500 or a remy not sure yet..... ((felony 6 undesignated means that when i pay off all fines it becomes a misdeomener))

yea i had to get rid of it cause of some trouble i got in and got a felony6 on my record.. but pretty soon in a couple months that felony will be a misdermeoner since it was just a felony6 undessignated and I will go buy maybe a mossy 500.. Am only 19 and had only 2 guns in my life first a beautiful mosin m44.. then a stevens 350 but that thing was a piece of crap.. Am looking to get a mossy 500 or a remy not sure yet..... ((felony 6 undesignated means that when i pay off all fines it becomes a misdeomener))

Ruh-roh raggy!

Well, first of all, the actual odds of something happening are infinitesemally small.

Then, the fingerprints on the casing would only be 1/2 the problem.

The other half is that you'd have to have been previously arrested and fingerprinted and be in the system in order for the cops to do anything with it. (or if you bought new then the store clerk would had to make a perfect print which is unlikely. AND!!! Prints are hardly ever matched out of the blue, usually they are matched against a suspect or a pool of suspects. You'd have to leave a perfect print on the shell case and the scanner and even then it's not 100%.

Then, you'd have to have no/or a bad alibi when the crime occurred.

And frankly, once people find out you're the weird guy wiping prints off of everything I think you're gonna invite more problems that you would have otherwise.

Unless it's a .22 shell because everybody knows they are specially coated so the fuzz can get perfect prints on those. Always wash your .22's in windex before shooting those.

If you have a CCW, your prints are on file.

Served in the military - prints are on file
Got a CPL in WA - prints are on file
Got CHL's in OR - prints are on file in 3 counties
Bought some guns in a store - prints are on file

I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal when I go get a CHL or buy a gun.

Everyone knows that murderers reload brass they pick up from public shooting areas and use that to commit their crimes. Another reason to police your brass!

So, is your gun forever stolen in the police database(s) going forward?

ALSO, how did it 'pop up' stolen to the dealer? (can FFL's check police data??? (news to me)) I would sure as hell like access to that database when buying a gun, it would be really nice if john q public could just not buy stolen property.

I'm totally against gun registries and whatnot in general, but it seems to me a public database of STOLEN guns would be great, it would totally curtail the black market and probably even reduce theft if they weren't so easy to convert to cash.

Thankfully no the gun is taken by the police
In a situation like mine and if the officer
In charge happens to be a decent guy they
Have you fill out basically the same form you would
If buying from a shop and once they clear your background
Check they legally register the gun to you and
The stolen status is removed from the guns records.
So now the gun is registered to me just like I bought
It new at a dealer.
The only way to really check is have a dealer run the serial number but even a app called hot guns on my iPhone has worked ok to let me know that a shotgun I almost bought was registered as stolen. Other than that I call my local shop and ask them to run the gun for me real quick as they can see in about less than a minute if its legit or stolen

Thankfully no the gun is taken by the police
In a situation like mine and if the officer
In charge happens to be a decent guy they
Have you fill out basically the same form you would
If buying from a shop and once they clear your background
Check they legally register the gun to you and
The stolen status is removed from the guns records.
So now the gun is registered to me just like I bought
It new at a dealer.
The only way to really check is have a dealer run the serial number but even a app called hot guns on my iPhone has worked ok to let me know that a shotgun I almost bought was registered as stolen. Other than that I call my local shop and ask them to run the gun for me real quick as they can see in about less than a minute if its legit or stolen
They didn't legally register the gun to you because there is no registration in Oregon which along with other things like " if the guy in charge is a nice guy" leads me to think your story is a bit fabricated.

They didn't legally register the gun to you because there is no registration in Oregon which along with other things like " if the guy in charge is a nice guy" leads me to think your story is a bit fabricated.

Not too concerned with your belief. All pistols
Are registered to the owner of them in oregon which
Is why you fill out all the papers and the dealer calls
In the serial number along with your info so that guns serial
Number is attached to your name...if you think you can buy a gun and the
Government does not have your name with that serial number you should
Really check your facts prior to speaking.
Buy a gun at a dealer that gun pops up as yours and if used in a crime
The cops will be knocking on your door. The officer can decide if the insurance says they do not want the gun if they want it destroyed or if they will allow you
To go through the process of getting it back. Again prior to speaking
Check your facts. If you buy or sell privately the person who bought the gun new
Is registered in the system as the owne which is why it is wise
To do a bill of sale. I would look some things
Up if I was you prior to calling someone dishonest.
Just makes you look foolish to be posting uneducated
Responses.

The cops will be knocking on your door. The officer can decide if the insurance says they do not want the gun if they want it destroyed or if they will allow you
Check your facts. If you buy or sell privately the person who bought the gun new
Responses.

You really have no idea what your talking about and I suggest you take your own advice. There is no firearms registration in Oregon and there is no way to register a firearm to you or anyone else in Oregon. Please stop posting the wrong information or back it up with some facts.

Responses.
Did I use the word dishonest? Did you say they did a background check and made me the legal registered owner? My statement of Oregon has no gun registration is a fact that you are obviously very confused about. You are more than welcome to read anything you want into the existing laws, have bills of sale, photo copy ODL, require fingerprints , make the buyer wear a red shirt ect ect. And you can also try to spread that crap if you want I was just pointing out to those that don't know the law in the nicest way I could think of not to listen to that crap. In closing before you call someone else uneducated you may want to learn to spell simple words' and learn how to close your deals in here without getting negative feedback in your first 5 transactions.

Good for you, man
You should start saving for when ya turn 21. You know you are gonna
need a couple of handguns (at least)

BTW the much uglier Mossberg Maverick 88 has the same action as the Mossy 500,
The safety is moved a bit tho, but it is much cheaper. The have a nice 8-shot
with a 20.5" barrel and some come with a pistol grip & the stock

Did I use the word dishonest? Did you say they did a background check and made me the legal registered owner? My statement of Oregon has no gun registration is a fact that you are obviously very confused about. You are more than welcome to read anything you want into the existing laws, have bills of sale, photo copy ODL, require fingerprints , make the buyer wear a red shirt ect ect. And you can also try to spread that crap if you want I was just pointing out to those that don't know the law in the nicest way I could think of not to listen to that crap. In closing before you call someone else uneducated you may want to learn to spell simple words' and learn how to close your deals in here without getting negative feedback in your first 5 transactions.

Typing is a little tough on a phone I will admit but either way when you buy a gun from a dealer, have it transferred via the Sheriffs department your name is attached to that gun. I have been through the experience of the gun popping up stolen, being confiscated, police contacting the owner who reported it stolen...not sure how they managed that if he was not a registered owner. Then finding out he had been paid by his rental insurance for his loss. Insurance companies at that point have the choice to take the gun or tell the officer in charge of the investigation they have no use for it...which they did and the officer allowed me to fill out a background check, wait a week or so and then come pick the gun up. Given it was owned by the insurance and they did not want it he said they could destroy it but would not because I clearly paid for it from my Bill of Sale and copy of the sellers ID. If the gun is not registered then maybe I am confused. If not in legally in my name and in the system how can I report the gun stolen and how can the police tell if it is owned by me or not? When they call in a background check they give the make, model, and serial number of the gun along with your personal info to clear you as a non felon to buy the gun. So either everything I have ever dealt with at a dealer is confused and wrong or you buy nothing but private sale guns and do not get fingerprinted and run through the system every time you buy a gun. Worrying about my feedback is a clear reach that you are a little to bothered of a disagreement which if I am wrong I have no problem with looking up and admitting so. Fabricated is a term for dishonest so yes it is bothersome and not a polite way of pointing out something to tell someone they are lying. I do believe you are unclear and maybe cannot but a gun from a real shop so do not know how that all works but either way I am done with you as you are not debating rather bashing because my phone likes to change words or capitalize improperly and have no clue why my feedback may be what it is. Show a little tact and if you want to correct someone do so with intelligence and kindness. It goes much further and the other person is much more likely to hear you out....seems that may not be what you want though. Rather just to argue over something silly. No need to further go on as you have made your opinion clear and I will do my own research without having to listen to someone who lacks kindness and tact and furthermore just looks to attack someones character that they do not know in any way shape or form. There is no need for that here and I carried on further than I should have with someone who lacks the proper means to carry on a debate or polite conversation. I hope those things come to you someday as most folks on here manage to do so.

Typing is a little tough on a phone I will admit but either way when you buy a gun from a dealer, have it transferred via the Sheriffs department your name is attached to that gun. I have been through the experience of the gun popping up stolen, being confiscated, police contacting the owner who reported it stolen...not sure how they managed that if he was not a registered owner.

You're not really helping yourself. When a firearm is stolen, you call the police and report it as such. The police come, they take a report on it and on that report, they list a description of the firearm, manufacturer, caliber and the serial number. Also, on that report is all of the owners information so they can contact him if the gun is located. The police have all that information because the owner GAVE it to them when they reported it stolen. Again, there is no registration in the state of Oregon. You can report a gun stolen, just like you can report a DVD player, computer, television,tool box or any other property you own that is not registered in any form.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top