JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

Today I was loading up some Federal 7.62x51 149 Gr FMJ and noticed one of the rounds was seated loose in the brass. This is factory ammo so it just serves as a reminder to always check your rounds before loading up a firearm.

This cartridge will not be fired.

Safe Shooting.

IMG_2697.JPG

Good catch! The bent neck wouldn't concern me much (other than an adverse effect on accuracy), but the loose bullet could possibly get shoved back into the case on chambering. That's not quite as dangerous in a rifle caliber as it is in a handgun, but it's still very much best avoided.

Finding .375 Winchester is very difficult at times. Winchester only makes runs every 7-8 years or so. I bough some boxes online and checked each bullet. At around $2.50 a round, you want to make sure each is good. I found a box with several rounds that had loose bullets. One was halfway down into the case - not good for a lever action round. I sent Winchester pictures and they made it right, but it was a pain.

Every box that I bought from a store was carefully inspected. I got some interesting looks from the store employees.

Good catch! The bent neck wouldn't concern me much (other than an adverse effect on accuracy), but the loose bullet could possibly get shoved back into the case on chambering. That's not quite as dangerous in a rifle caliber as it is in a handgun, but it's still very much best avoided.
I have had a few cheap 7.62/39 do this.
And had a batch of seller and ballet 45acp do it once.

IMG-3957.jpg

OK, with this one, I only found out afterwards.

I pulled the trigger on my 91/30 Mosin Nagant. Hummm.....the primer popped. But, it didn't recoil as expected. So, I opened the bolt and extracted the round. Yup. the bullet was still on the neck of the cartridge, only there was no primer where it should have been. Rrrrright…….even the commies can make mistakes. Note: no flash holes.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads