JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would get canned. It's against our school district policy. Remember what happened with the teacher down in Medford? Her case went to court and she lost. I don't have the money to fight a fight that I will probably lose.

school dist. policy means nothing. see other threads about newberg SD they changed ther policy as it was aganist the law...See threads about court case that U of O lost.

Newberg Graphic | Front Page | District drops gun ban
District drops gun ban
Concealed carry — Regulation changed as Thatcher gets involved
• By: Laurent Bonczijk
• Published: 11/8/2011 7:00:00 PM
The Newberg School District is now in compliance with the law of the land. It's OK for patrons to pack heat on local school campuses, after the district dropped language banning the possession of firearms last week.
The change of language happened after the district received a complaint from a Beaverton resident who was attending a community event in Newberg, superintendent Paula Radich said. That was at about the same time Rep. Kim Thatcher (R-Keizer) wrote this newspaper to complain about the district's illegal practice and call on the administration to end it.
The administrative regulation regarding the community use of district facilities and grounds was banning "the use or possession of firearms, knives or other weapons." It now reads: "the use or possession of unlawful firearms, knives or other weapons," Radich said.
The issue of carrying weapons on campus is a fresh one for courts in Oregon after a state appeals court ruled in September that the Oregon University System couldn't ban guns on its campuses.
Thatcher in her missive took issue with the school board's refusal to revise its policy, known as KG, regarding the use of district facilities by community members.
The board took that position, Radich said, because "there is nothing in conflict with federal of state law in KG." As a matter of fact, she said, there is nothing in the text that even referenced weapons of any kind.
Where the problem was, Radich explained, was in the adjoining administrative regulation, which she has the power to change. After consulting with the committee that reviews administrative regulations (made up of Radich along with her assistant and three school board members) and the district's legal counsel, she modified the policy.
"Most districts are going to be out of compliance for a while," Radich said of what happens when laws change, because they generally wait for the Oregon School Board Association to send sample policies. In this case, she said, it took the district two or three weeks to research the subject after receiving the complaint.
"Some people don't understand that it's not instantaneous," Radich said of changing the district's policies and regulations. As a matter of fact, despite the change of language, patrons browsing the district's policies online may not see a change for a while, as the policies are in a library hosted by the OSBA and "we have to go through OSBA to actually change it," Radich said.
"It's great," Thatcher said of the change of administrative regulation. "I do appreciate the fact that they're making an attempt to make it right."
She said that there are probably other school districts in her house district, which also encompasses St. Paul and Keizer, that are out of compliance and that she would "definitely want to check with other school districts" to ensure they're not

Helps me realize just how foolish it would be to not shoot when threatened with a knife.

If someone pulls a knife on me I will shoot. I have a gun handy at home at all times, and I carry to/fro work.

Lots of mentally ill people running around. I'm not talking about garden variety depression or bipolar, I mean schizophrenia and such. A lot of these people perpetrating these ridiculous assaults are mentally ill. That doesn't mean I'm going to let them kill me either... Just saying these guys are not in their right mind. They used to lock them up, from what I understand.

If someone pulls a knife on me I will shoot. I have a gun handy at home at all times, and I carry to/fro work.

Lots of mentally ill people running around. I'm not talking about garden variety depression or bipolar, I mean schizophrenia and such. A lot of these people perpetrating these ridiculous assaults are mentally ill. That doesn't mean I'm going to let them kill me either... Just saying these guys are not in their right mind. They used to lock them up, from what I understand.

They discovered it's cheaper to allow the nut jobs to control the goverment

Isn't it something when they can make a "policy" that overrides your Constitutional Right? Doesn't that make protecting yourself a "permission" and not a right?

I understand what you are getting at and I agree to an extent. However, shouldn't an employer have the right to say yes or no to carrying a weapon on the premises? I understand that a public school is public property and the purist interpretation of the constitution would say it's Ok to OC there but the reality is that a school district is an employer and they have the right to make policy to insure safety even if we disagree. If you want to disagree that is fine but remember that case from Medford. School District 1, school employee 0.

school dist. policy means nothing. see other threads about newberg SD they changed ther policy as it was aganist the law...See threads about court case that U of O lost.

Newberg Graphic | Front Page | District drops gun ban
District drops gun ban
Concealed carry — Regulation changed as Thatcher gets involved
• By: Laurent Bonczijk
• Published: 11/8/2011 7:00:00 PM
The Newberg School District is now in compliance with the law of the land. It's OK for patrons to pack heat on local school campuses, after the district dropped language banning the possession of firearms last week.
The change of language happened after the district received a complaint from a Beaverton resident who was attending a community event in Newberg, superintendent Paula Radich said. That was at about the same time Rep. Kim Thatcher (R-Keizer) wrote this newspaper to complain about the district's illegal practice and call on the administration to end it.
The administrative regulation regarding the community use of district facilities and grounds was banning "the use or possession of firearms, knives or other weapons." It now reads: "the use or possession of unlawful firearms, knives or other weapons," Radich said.
The issue of carrying weapons on campus is a fresh one for courts in Oregon after a state appeals court ruled in September that the Oregon University System couldn't ban guns on its campuses.
Thatcher in her missive took issue with the school board's refusal to revise its policy, known as KG, regarding the use of district facilities by community members.
The board took that position, Radich said, because "there is nothing in conflict with federal of state law in KG." As a matter of fact, she said, there is nothing in the text that even referenced weapons of any kind.
Where the problem was, Radich explained, was in the adjoining administrative regulation, which she has the power to change. After consulting with the committee that reviews administrative regulations (made up of Radich along with her assistant and three school board members) and the district's legal counsel, she modified the policy.
"Most districts are going to be out of compliance for a while," Radich said of what happens when laws change, because they generally wait for the Oregon School Board Association to send sample policies. In this case, she said, it took the district two or three weeks to research the subject after receiving the complaint.
"Some people don't understand that it's not instantaneous," Radich said of changing the district's policies and regulations. As a matter of fact, despite the change of language, patrons browsing the district's policies online may not see a change for a while, as the policies are in a library hosted by the OSBA and "we have to go through OSBA to actually change it," Radich said.
"It's great," Thatcher said of the change of administrative regulation. "I do appreciate the fact that they're making an attempt to make it right."
She said that there are probably other school districts in her house district, which also encompasses St. Paul and Keizer, that are out of compliance and that she would "definitely want to check with other school districts" to ensure they're not

Did I miss something in this article because I don't see anything about a school district not being able to make policy regarding employee carry? Has the goings on in Newberg had any effect at all on the Medford case?

Originally Posted by kenno
I carry 24-7
I have shotguns in every out building
I keep carbines in my trucks
I wear BA
And I have a very good reason to do so

You can relax now, I've heard that Osama Inc. has cancelled the contract for you making that toilet paper with his face on it.

Perhaps a jealous husband is part of the story? Chicks dig guys with guns!

The Oregon Police Academy in Monmouth teaches the 21 foot rule. It's a fact. Someone can cover 21 feet and stab you before you can react, draw, aim, and fire. Even then, you'd better hope that first couple of shots stops them.

Number one rule in a knife fight: expect to get cut. How bad you get cut depends on you and your mental state. Now I know, no one wants to get cut, but the fact is if you mentally expect and accept that you will get cut, your reaction will be more effective. Stress makes people fumble so doesn't trying not to get hurt.

You can practice this at home: have a buddy run at you from the state 21 feet or closer. Learn how to mule kick (front kick) what ever you want to call it as the attacker advances. Aim for the center of the chest/stomach. Once he or she falls back you will have time to draw.

In short, the gun is just a tool. Take a few classes and learn to use your body as well.

Here is a good example of a cop being charged by a dog and using the kick to keep it away till he has a chance to draw his sidearm. Cop Shootout With Dog!!! - YouTube

Watch this from 2:16. UFC Fighters Experience Marine Corps Martial Arts - YouTube

21 foot rule is an approximation. I went through the local police department citizen's academy. We got to try and shoot the "Bad" Knife carrying person who was 21 feet away. Yes, most of the class lost. A couple were able to draw, place one to three shots of target. Me, I place 3 center of mass hits before he could get to me. We had to draw and shoot. So, 21 foot rule is more for those that do not practice. IMO

I would even carry a less lethal as well as a lethal. I would also try to train on how to use both and how and when to transition. I was walking my dog the other day and a crazy 19 year old kid/man attacked me for no reason. He just sprinted right at me and jumped up in the air and straight into me and started swinging. He was yelling FU, FU I am going home. I had a handgun but did not have pepper spray. I knew he was not armed. I had plenty of time to observe his hands and person. He got a good hit on my jaw and knocked me down. When I recovered to defend, he was already running away. He could have continued the attack. It would have been good to have pepper spray or a taser.

I would even carry a less lethal as well as a lethal. I would also try to train on how to use both and how and when to transition. I was walking my dog the other day and a crazy 19 year old kid/man attacked me for no reason. He just sprinted right at me and jumped up in the air and straight into me and started swinging. He was yelling FU, FU I am going home. I had a handgun but did not have pepper spray. I knew he was not armed. I had plenty of time to observe his hands and person. He got a good hit on my jaw and knocked me down. When I recovered to defend, he was already running away. He could have continued the attack. It would have been good to have pepper spray or a taser.

Wow. Guy was psycho. Check this link out: 'Knock Out': Attacks target random victims - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com Someday one of these goons is going to have to prove how tough they are with a couple extra holes in them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top