JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a one man show, working away in my office, when in walks a rough looking and even worse smelling character. As he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a knife, he says "hey, I could use some money...":eek: I'm suddenly and violently aware of the fact that my pistol is not in it's usual place (out of sight but readily available) on my desk, and am cussing myself inside in the split second before he finishes with "would you be willing to buy my knife?"
It worked out fine. His body language and tone never indicated any sort of aggression. He was just down on his luck and needing a meal so I gave him my lunch, but it could easily have been a different story.
I'm fairly new to carrying, and with my quiet little life in a small town it's easy to get lazy. No more!
Three lessons from this:
1. The Boyscout motto applies
2. I probably need to buy another gun for work ;)
3. Unless I'm being attacked by a housecat, or an attacker trips over him, my dog is worthless. He lifted his head looked the guy over and then went back to sleep.

I'm a one man show, working away in my office, when in walks a rough looking and even worse smelling character. As he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a knife, he says "hey, I could use some money...":eek: I'm suddenly and violently aware of the fact that my pistol is not in it's usual place (out of sight but readily available) on my desk, and am cussing myself inside in the split second before he finishes with "would you be willing to buy my knife?"
It worked out fine. His body language and tone never indicated any sort of aggression. He was just down on his luck and needing a meal so I gave him my lunch, but it could easily have been a different story.
I'm fairly new to carrying, and with my quiet little life in a small town it's easy to get lazy. No more!
Three lessons from this:
1. The Boyscout motto applies
2. I probably need to buy another gun for work ;)
3. Unless I'm being attacked by a housecat, or an attacker trips over him, my dog is worthless. He lifted his head looked the guy over and then went back to sleep.

I like the ALWAYS carry motto. I can't while I'm working but it's close at hand in my truck and I can throw a mean hammer:s0112: I want to know how these die hard ALWAY CARRY fellas take showers. Do they put it in a plastic bag and tie it around their necks? ALWAYS been curious about that:huh:
But seriously... I even carry around my house. I even take naps with my piece:s0155:

I like the ALWAYS carry motto. I can't while I'm working but it's close at hand in my truck and I can throw a mean hammer:s0112: I want to know how these die hard ALWAY CARRY fellas take showers. Do they put it in a plastic bag and tie it around their necks? ALWAYS been curious about that:huh:
But seriously... I even carry around my house. I even take naps with my piece:s0155:

Large ziplock bag, hang from shower nozzle. :s0155:

My friend there are three questions no one can ever answer for us:

1. Who the threat or potential threat(s) might be?

2. When or Where a threat or potential threat(s) may take place

3. What it is going to take to stop the threat.

Situational Awareness and Tactical vigilance should be our highest priority - the programming of our tactical and defensive software is more important than hardware yet 94% of this forum is focused on the consumption, buying, selling and obsession with hardware.

There are only four kinds of folks in this world and we need to have a full time strategy to interact and be prepared to deal with...those inside our "inner" circle of trust, those within our "outer" circle of trust, potential threats and actual threats. Each of these circles needs a dedicated strategy and tactics to deal with. You just learned about one who is certainly not within either circle of trust and therefore is considered a potential threat. Good job on learning from your experience.

The former Sheriff of Modoc County California, Sheriff Mix (real last name I forget his first) was once asked by the local newspaper if it was true that he showered with his gun. His reply, "That's why they make 'em outa stainless steel ain't it?"

re: the dog
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems to me he had the situation figured out pretty well.

Yeah, he probably would have woken up if the guy was aggressive. We were at the park and a couple were having a fight and it was all we could do to contain him. Not sure whose side he would have come in on though :)

Glad it worked out OK for you, but it easily could have gone the other way. Be Prepared is a good motto, indeed.

I think about this sort of situation a great deal when I use our hot tub, which is outside and a few yards from the house. The magnet idea from Cheaper Than Dirt won't work because the hot tub's walls are made of resin. Anyone ever figure out a way to keep a gun handy in this situation? Suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

I had that happen to me one time when me and my car buddies were hanging out in Beaverton. Guy came up and wanted to sell this large bowie knife. So I bought it from him for five bucks... So stoned or something that when I handed him the five bucks he let go of the knife when I took it from him. Only then did he realize he had no more influence over the charitable donations of other people...lol.

Yeah, I had a PM9 in my jacket...:)

It's funny though, I used to carry all the time. My permit expired when I was overseas and I haven't got a new one and so I don't carry anymore. Don't really miss it and don't feel unsafe or unprepared either. I'll probably get the permit again but not it doesn't keep me up at night.

My friend there are three questions no one can ever answer for us:

1. Who the threat or potential threat(s) might be?

2. When or Where a threat or potential threat(s) may take place

3. What it is going to take to stop the threat.

Situational Awareness and Tactical vigilance should be our highest priority - the programming of our tactical and defensive software is more important than hardware yet 94% of this forum is focused on the consumption, buying, selling and obsession with hardware.

There are only four kinds of folks in this world and we need to have a full time strategy to interact and be prepared to deal with...those inside our "inner" circle of trust, those within our "outer" circle of trust, potential threats and actual threats. Each of these circles needs a dedicated strategy and tactics to deal with. You just learned about one who is certainly not within either circle of trust and therefore is considered a potential threat. Good job on learning from your experience.

Good post, thanks.

I have two relatives who are LEO's. They tell me that they are taught that a perp with a knife is a lethal threat if he's within 25 feet. They told me they are taught that the perp can travel that 25 feet in the time it takes to react, draw, aim and shoot. I'm no expert so I don't know. Sounds reasonable to me.

I would be most unhappy if a stranger with a knife approached me and asked for money. I'm assuming that if he was close enough to be talking to me that he would/might be within that 25 feet.

The one thing I dread almost as much as getting shot or stabbed is actually having to shoot someone. It's not the shooting; it's the legal hassle that naturally would follow.

Don't ask me what I'd do in that situation because it hasn't happened to me. Betting my life on my ability to read the perp's intentions doesn't sound like fun to me. The most I've done is to shoot and kill a very menacing rottweiler while on a walk on our county road.

Even though I carry even when just working outside on our (in the county) acreage and also when I go to town, I pray and pray that I never need that gun against a person.

$.02

Reminds me of a movie where John Wayne is threatened while taking a shower. Suddenly the doors of the shower stall blow open as John Wayne cut loose with a double barrel!
Another movie John Wayne is shaving in long johns and has his hogleg strapped on. Kirk Douglas asks him, "Do you always wear that?". Wayne replies. "Yep!" Kirk Douglas shakes his head but then you see him in a bathrobe with his hogleg strapped on too.

Reminds me of a movie where John Wayne is threatened while taking a shower. Suddenly the doors of the shower stall blow open as John Wayne cut loose with a double barrel!
Another movie John Wayne is shaving in long johns and has his hogleg strapped on. Kirk Douglas asks him, "Do you always wear that?". Wayne replies. "Yep!" Kirk Douglas shakes his head but then you see him in a bathrobe with his hogleg strapped on too.

:s0114: I mostly said that tongue in cheek. I actually have my gun on the bathroom counter right next to the shower when I'm getting cleaned up. otherwise I have to put it in the safe while I take a shower. Can't give the kids even the slightest chance to get their hands on those.

This reminds me of the scene in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" where Tuco is in the bathtub -- bubbles all over the place -- and the bad guy comes in and starts jabbering at him. Tuco has his six-gun tied on a leather string around his neck, and he blasts away before for the bad guy can fire. He says something like, "If you're going to shoot, shoot -- don't talk." Classic stuff.

Sometimes it's not enough to be armed. I got thinking about this earlier today when I was taking a walk around the neighborhood with a Beretta Jetfire in my pocket but no glasses or contact lenses on. I passed three workers on the opposite side of the street, and it dawned on me that I couldn't see them well enough to determine if any one of the three might present a sudden threat. I had heeded the Boy Scout motto on the one hand but not on the other and won't make that mistake again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top