JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So far the market seams to be flooded with aluminum options, and the only steel version I can find is by BCM.

I'm thinking I'll go steel.

Figured I'd see how folks aluminum pockets are holding up?

1592620915726.jpeg
1592620964635.jpeg

I equipped some of my highpower rifles with qd sockets from MI and Troy just to name a couple. After a year of competition they began to fail. I sling into my rifles hard during RF sitting and really hard during the prone strings. Once during a very important match I was headed toward placing at the top when during the slow fire prone match my sling pulled right out of the socket. Although the QD swivel is steel the socket was aluminum, and it wore an oval shape into the socket. I had purposefully bought what one of the mfg said was their heavy duty version of their sockets, but it was only just physically larger - it took a little more picatinny real estate but was still aluminum. Swore them off for more than a year because of this failure. Then I found Grove-tec in Oregon, who sell these steel threaded inserts that are a QD socket (Midway USA offers them too). They were meant to be screwed and glued into a stock. I bought some and modified my MI heavy duty QD sockets by drilling and tapping the existing hole to accept these steel inserts along with some threadlocker. Haven't had a problem since and I feel that the steel on steel will not fail. I think the reason they worked so well for most rimfire target shooters from days of old is that they had steel on steel back then. It's only because of the modern rifle popularity that we have all been exposed to nothing but aluminum sockets for so long.

Thanks @CV-66 thats exactly the information I was looking for.

Ordered up some BCM all steel cups.

Those ones you linked are saved to my bookmarks. I think they might be great for another rifle I have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top