JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 that's great in many ways, but also has two shortcomings that are making me consider alternatives. Both problems arise at higher magnifications: the eye box gets so small that it's hard to stay inside it, even with practicing a consistent cheek weld, and also the illumination appears to go dark unless my eye is perfectly centered in the eye box.

I've looked up the exit pupil and eye relief specs on a dozen similar models, and several are a bit larger, but I don't have first-hand experience with them to know how much difference it makes.

Does anyone have experience with other 1-6x scopes that don't have these problems? Is this something you just have to train-up to?

Thanks!

I never had that issue with a SWFA SS HD 1-6x24. Its a FFP scope, the issue I had is it had too much eye relief. It almost went onto a handguard. :eek:

I had the same problem! :p I shoot nose-to-charging-handle, so I had to return the first mount I got (ADM's AD-RECON) and get their super-extended version (AD-RECON-X).

The SWFA 1-6x was another I considered before buying my Leupold. How do you like it? Is there anything you dislike or wish was different?

I run Leupold Mark AR Mod 1's 3x9 SFP on my AR's, it seems to be a good balance between close shots and distance work. They are also only about $280 on sale. It sounds like you are strictly interested in 1x6 options though.

The SWFA 1-6x was another I considered before buying my Leupold. How do you like it? Is there anything you dislike or wish was different?
Shorter eye relief is the biggest thing I wish they would have done. The reticle design with FFP needs to be reworked. At 6x it looks like there's a ring of shadow when there isn't, its just the outer ring of the reticle, its also a bit annoying in between 1 and 6 power. Also, not a daylight bright illumination (IICR) if you care about that.

It does have good glass though. There's also an extra battery compartment so you at least have a spare with you all the time.

check out the new Leupold VX-6HD 1-6. They come with a throw lever, 2 turn zero locks, CDS dials, and HD glass. I haven't decided if im going to get the Firedot BDC or the CM-R^2 on my new build.

I haven't had that issue with my vortex 1-6 strike eagle, but I don't think that the glass would be on par with the Leupold. I have heard good things GS about the Sig Tango6 line in general, but haven't tried them. If I was in the market for one SWFA is closing them out for $629 which is a steal. They have burris XTR's 1.5-8 on sale at $800 and I think the tax day 10% off sale would apply. These are 34mm tubes. I am very impressed with the optic quality of my Burris Fullfield II 3.5-10 for a $450 price range optic. I ended up putting a Vortex viper 2.5-10 x 44 on my 3 gun rifle and really like it. I put 45 degree irons on for close work, but have found that at 2.5 I can still use it at very close range. I am right eye dominant and can even still use it with both eyes open. I really like the field of view better than what you are limited to with the 1x 28mm scopes.

In case anyone stumbles on this thread with a similar question, I had a chance to ask Jesse Tischauer, and he made a good point, too:

"The Swarovski (Z6i) is the best out there but I can do ok with a $300 StrikeEagle too. Part of getting good is getting used to things not being perfect and knowing how bad it can be to still be ok."

I've known this maxim in other contexts, but hadn't thought to apply it here. So, for now I'm going to stick with my Mk.6 and practice at "still be(ing) okay" when things aren't ideal.

I never had that issue with a SWFA SS HD 1-6x24. Its a FFP scope, the issue I had is it had too much eye relief. It almost went onto a handguard. :eek:

I just wish some quality manufacturer would make a 1-4x or 1-6x quality scope with a LOT of eye relief - as in 6" to 9" of eye relief. I really like Scout scopes, but I want one with 1x lowest magnification.

I just wish some quality manufacturer would make a 1-4x or 1-6x quality scope with a LOT of eye relief - as in 6" to 9" of eye relief. I really like Scout scopes, but I want one with 1x lowest magnification.
I don't care much for scout scopes, but I would still want a 1-x one as an option if I'm ever in need of using a scout scope.

For the traditional scope, I prefer them to have some eye relief. Not so much its somewhere between the two.

I like Scout scopes. Eye relief is very forgiving, especially at low power, you can keep both eyes open, balance of the rifle is good, they generally do not interfere with the action, usually being forward of it and target acquisition is quick.

I was just out shooting my Leupold Mark 6 this last weekend, and had great luck with it.

Mark 6 1-6x20mm Scopes | Leupold

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PH6J16/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I228S3S8ECWLF6&colid=2EMWCBAXH5RWG

Previously, I'd not been able to shoot more than about 75 yards, so that's where I sighted it in at, but this time I had the opportunity to shoot it out to 250 yards, and then 500 yards.

Having sighted it at 75 yards previously, I set up on a table, took a seat, and sent 17 shots at my 250 yard target. The first one went a little high, then I compensated for that and put the other 16 shots on my cardboard (about 3 feet high, 2 feet wide). The shots were mostly in about a 7" group (~2.8 MOA). They were all a little low and right. Not bad for my first shooting at that range, I thought. :)

I moved back to 500 yards, used my "Strelok" app to calculate how much to dial up my turrets for the increased distance, then added .7 MOA (.4mrad) to the right and .7 MOA up (to correct for the previous low/left group), and shot 10 shots from a standing position with just a monopod for support. Of those 10 shots, I hit my cardboard 4 times, with a roughly 2 MOA group (for the ones that hit). Again, I thought that pretty good for my first time shooting 500 yards with an AR and from a standing position (where I felt like I was swaying left and right quite a bit, and somewhat surprised I hit it at all, LOL). We didn't really feel like getting the table out and setting it up again, and though I wanted to try it from a prone position, there was a fair amount of poison ivy on the ground, and I was wearing shorts, so standing was the only reasonable option from where I was shooting from.

For the curious, I was shooting IMI 5.56 with 69gr SMK BTHP rounds in a 1:9 twist 16" barrel (Rock River Arms Operator 3). My friend I was with had a chrono and 5 shots with this IMI ammo seems to have a pretty consistent velocity:
(I know it's not a large sample size, but estimated Std Deviation in velocity was only 22FPS)

I have a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 that's great in many ways, but also has two shortcomings that are making me consider alternatives. Both problems arise at higher magnifications: the eye box gets so small that it's hard to stay inside it, even with practicing a consistent cheek weld, and also the illumination appears to go dark unless my eye is perfectly centered in the eye box.

I've looked up the exit pupil and eye relief specs on a dozen similar models, and several are a bit larger, but I don't have first-hand experience with them to know how much difference it makes.

Does anyone have experience with other 1-6x scopes that don't have these problems? Is this something you just have to train-up to?

Thanks!
Have you tried a Trijicon acupoint? I was playing around with one of there 1-8x and I like it better then my vx6 cmr-2 and the vortex razer hd 1-6x.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top