JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am extremely new to reloading, and would like to get into loading shot shells first. I especially want to load .410 because what they cost is insane. I'm interested in 20 and 12 as well, but just more so with .410 due to economics.

One thing I've been exploring is different ways to do slugs. I'm not talking anything like Demolition Ranch, but just something different than the hollow core lead slugs.

I can't find any info on people trying to load pistol projectiles as slugs. Now of course safety is my #1 concern and would always get exact measurements of the muzzle diameter and go under that for projectiles. For example, my M6 Scout with a full choke measures right at .375 at the muzzle. Could you safely load a cast lead .357 or similar bullet and fire it (or even jacketed)? I know tumbling is a concern, but could that be a danger of happening within the barrel due to the bigger gap that exists prior to the choke constriction? Is this whole concept something that should only even be attempted with a cylinder bore?

Alternatively, what about round balls? Obviously there is buckshot that functions just fine, but does spread. I believe 000 buck is a .36 ball, would a single ball perform differently than a stack of 3 or 4? For that same barrel, how could a .375 lead round ball (pretty sure those exist for muzzleloaders) be used? How about steel? I am able to roll a .36 steel slingshot ammo ball through the barrel with no problem at all, but could it bang around and damage the barrel when fired?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this and I image if some of this worked very well people would already be doing it. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the above, or other similar ideas. Thanks.

It's all about payload weight and proper column height via wads. I don't do shotshells but want to.. regular buckshot loads and "slugs".. probably a round ball in 12ga.
A good manual would give you buck and slug loads. I know over at castboolits.com, there's a lot of info on round ball etc. particulars. good luck

I have not researched this but I see a couple things that could be problems. First off is accuracy. Unless you are shooting with a rifled slug barrel what is going to create spin on a "pistol" bullet? Shotgun slugs meant for smooth bore guns usually have "riffling" groves moulded into them. Second the hollow core actually has a purpose, that is to seal the slug against the walls of the barrel for proper pressure. Also this helps create the bullet spin.

You also state getting a bullet "smaller" then the bore. Well depending on what kind of "bullet" you choose you either need one the exact size or slightly larger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top