JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is one of the latest things to bug me. The traditional residential delivery services have been US Postal Service, United Parcel Service, later Fed Ex, DHL, the now defunct Airborne, et al. With regular working hours.

Fast forward to the cyber age, online shopping and so on. What is called alternative delivery services have popped up. The growth of Amazon has fueled a lot of this. One in this area that Amazon used for a while was On Trac Delivery Service. They came around in unmarked white delivery trucks. I told one of their drivers, "You'd better get some signage on your vehicle before people start calling the sheriff on you." Now Amazon has a couple of their own creations, Amazon Logistics and Amazon Flex. Logistics is a program where Amazon will set people up to start their own package delivery small business. These are the people who drive around in the new grey vans that have Amazon Prime signage on them. They also have the Amazon Flex program, this is where private individuals drive their own vehicles and deliver packages in a gig economy mode. Amazon online shopping has grown greatly. They may say that the traditional delivery services weren't working out well for them due to volume. BUT: There is the deal where Amazon saves money by getting people off the street to do the delivery for cheaper. AND: Doesn't carry the liability for problems because they don't own the vehicles.

So that's the basic background. My problem is this. Last few months, these independent drivers come skulking around at late hours. Way after the postmen are home eating their dinner. There are times when I may go out late at night, say midnight, maybe, to take out some trash. And I find a package sitting on my porch that wasn't there earlier at, say, 8:00PM. I don't want people poking around my property at night. In fact from the delivery person's standpoint, it could be downright dangerous in some places. I'm guessing some of these people might have a "real" job during the day so they take on late shift work as a part time job.

I recall the time when one of the Amazon Flex drivers came around. Not to deliver at my place. I was outside and saw this woman drive up and down the road in front of my place several times. These things I notice because such activity can be suspicious. So I went out by the road and waited for her next pass. She stopped and told me what road and address she was looking for. I set her straight but it shouldn't have been that troublesome. I can't imagine that she was making very good money driving back and forth, taking much time on one delivery.

This is one of the latest things to bug me. The traditional residential delivery services have been US Postal Service, United Parcel Service, later Fed Ex, DHL, the now defunct Airborne, et al. With regular working hours.

Fast forward to the cyber age, online shopping and so on. What is called alternative delivery services have popped up. The growth of Amazon has fueled a lot of this. One in this area that Amazon used for a while was On Trac Delivery Service. They came around in unmarked white delivery trucks. I told one of their drivers, "You'd better get some signage on your vehicle before people start calling the sheriff on you." Now Amazon has a couple of their own creations, Amazon Logistics and Amazon Flex. Logistics is a program where Amazon will set people up to start their own package delivery small business. These are the people who drive around in the new grey vans that have Amazon Prime signage on them. They also have the Amazon Flex program, this is where private individuals drive their own vehicles and deliver packages in a gig economy mode. Amazon online shopping has grown greatly. They may say that the traditional delivery services weren't working out well for them due to volume. BUT: There is the deal where Amazon saves money by getting people off the street to do the delivery for cheaper. AND: Doesn't carry the liability for problems because they don't own the vehicles.

So that's the basic background. My problem is this. Last few months, these independent drivers come skulking around at late hours. Way after the postmen are home eating their dinner. There are times when I may go out late at night, say midnight, maybe, to take out some trash. And I find a package sitting on my porch that wasn't there earlier at, say, 8:00PM. I don't want people poking around my property at night. In fact from the delivery person's standpoint, it could be downright dangerous in some places. I'm guessing some of these people might have a "real" job during the day so they take on late shift work as a part time job.

I recall the time when one of the Amazon Flex drivers came around. Not to deliver at my place. I was outside and saw this woman drive up and down the road in front of my place several times. These things I notice because such activity can be suspicious. So I went out by the road and waited for her next pass. She stopped and told me what road and address she was looking for. I set her straight but it shouldn't have been that troublesome. I can't imagine that she was making very good money driving back and forth, taking much time on one delivery.

We shop Amazon daily at times. Often get deliveries late. I see on my orders there is a spot to put in special instructions. Never paid much attention to it but if you do not want them delivering late maybe try putting that in there? Not sure if it would work but give it a try. See if they skip your delivery for a day and set it back up for the next.

It's not just the time of delivery, it's the lack of identification, lack of a uniform, and lack of knowledge of the area. Had a young guy come wandering across my yard from the wrong direction one time, luckily I noticed he was carrying a package. He was driving a little 4-door car, wearing regular street clothes with no identifying logos.

Ad to everything above, hundreds more drivers. With so many I doubt they can be vetted properly. Hey, got them a job that allows them to check out 100 houses a day without raising suspicion. Hearing what Wifey has to go through at her work with people they hire that come and work for a month or two and get caught dipping into the till, taking product for themselves, sweethearting friends/family and other employees. And, a lot of time they are the nicest, most customer friendly people you'd ever meet!

If you don't like getting deliveries to your property, stop buying crap on the internet!

To me this argument is like complaining that eating food makes you poop to much.

If you don't like getting deliveries to your property, stop buying crap on the internet!

To me this argument is like complaining that eating food makes you poop to much.

This just begs to cause thread drift. :rolleyes: But I'M not gonna be the one. :s0002:

UPS delivers till the driver is done. It may be later than 9 PM at times. Those amzon drivers pullin up in my driveway with unmarked cars and pink hair bug the crap out of me.:D

Not going to happen.

But if a person is nervous about late deliveries or those from unmarked vehicles or not uniformed people, then they can have the delivery go to a different place. Amazon now has lockers in safe public places you can have your Amazon purchases sent to. I have a private PO box I sometimes have deliveries sent to, and most of my official mail sent to (CC mail, bank mail, etc.).

But to the OP's post - yes, I have seen this and yes it is a problem. I came home a couple weeks ago after dark, at about 7 PM and as I drove down my private road I noticed all of my motion sensor lights were on at my house - three lights on my long driveway and two lights on the house. A non-uniformed guy in a Subaru wagon was delivering an Amazon package. I drove up and blocked his exit until he told me he was delivering a package.

Had several items like this since. They are now taking pics of the delivered package and sending them out via a notice via a cell phone app that pushes the notification. Personally I prefer that they just delivery to my mailbox out on the road - never had a problem with that (except for the fact that the official US mail person mixes up my mail with someone else).

UPS/et. al. sometimes do the houses in the area late too because we are out in the boonies - so for years I would get packages well after working hours.

As for the Sprinter vans - I see those often because I work near where they dispatch. Sometimes a long line of them in the morning. Some unmarked, some marked. Most of those are same day deliveries; groceries and such. I don't live near there so I am not eligible.

Think this is all funky? Wait for the drone deliveries.:eek:

I received an oddball delivery yesterday.

She, the driver, 'no uniform' , just street clothes, piloting an 'ordinary black pickup', with a tiny sign I couldn't read as our house is quite well off the street.

And yes, it was an Amazon delivery.

When she first pulled up I was on instant alert, then like others on this thread, I saw a package in her hands.

Thing is, this same scenario could be a ruse to get onto property, pull a gun, etc.

Me, no likey.

But if a person is nervous about late deliveries or those from unmarked vehicles or not uniformed people, then they can have the delivery go to a different place. Amazon now has lockers in safe public places you can have your Amazon purchases sent to. I have a private PO box I sometimes have deliveries sent to, and most of my official mail sent to (CC mail, bank mail, etc.).

How? With Amazon and many other places you cannot choose who delivers it. Or the one you select hands it off to someone else (eg. part-time USPS drivers delivering UPS packages). I don't think it's too much to ask that people approaching my house in a professional capacity dress, drive, and act accordingly.

Liberty,

Would you clarify: "I don't think it's too much to ask that people approaching my house in a professional capacity dress, drive, and act accordingly."

Not being a smart alec, just no sure what you mean?

Are you saying they should be in a uniform or ...?

Delivery people shouldn't mosy about or start looking through windows or what?

Thanks!

I'm going with this....Buy the traditional way. With cash in hand. Solves the problem

The less time I spend on the highway, helps keep me alive.

In the past 3 months, I personally know 2 people who've died in vehicle accidents.

I drive far less than I used to in order to buy this or that.

Buy by traveling and using cash only, ok, but if 'I' don't 'have to', then I won't.

I do reserve the right to complain about weird deliveries though...sport complaining is entertaining and fun!

This.

You don't have to order through Amazon and can easily stick to vendors that use USPS/UPS/FedEx.

Think of this from the driver's perspective - they're just trying to make a buck and are out delivering your crap while the rest of us eat dinner with our families. I know who I'd not envy.

If someone is running away from your place with boxes, there's a problem. If someone is running toward your place with boxes, that's fine.

In another thread aren't y'all opining about the good ol' days when people trusted one another? By all means, have caution...but don't assume Hannibal is trolling your street in a crap delivery van.

Why is this now a problem as it is nothing at all new? The USPS has used contract private carriers for decades, they drive their own vehicles and have no uniform.

FedEx and UPS have done the same in years past, but are now more likely to use the USPS "last-mile" program and pass the parcel off to the Post Office who, you guessed it, typically will use private carriers for this type of delivery.

So too does / did DHL and a host of other carriers. All of these service work until the load is delivered and that's been that way for years too. Packages showing up after dark (in the PNW winter especially) is not anything new or different. Especially during the Christmas season.

Since the markets expectations is for faster and faster delivery expect more of the same. I personally like that I order from Amazon in the morning and the package is on my doorstep the next day in most cases. It saves me from suffering the incredible customer-service debacles I always seem to attract when I go to a brick and mortar store, not to mention skipping dealing with the idiots in the parking lots.

As far as more drivers on the road, actually there are less as more and more folks shop online versus traveling to the store. So if you are into "green" issues, the increase in online shopping is much better for the environment. It's far more fuel efficient to place many parcels on a single truck who's route is planned out by sophisticated computer algorithms than to have multiple folks travel from parts unknown to converge on one location to shop. Thinks of all the wasted fuel dealing with the traffic jams that used to build around the malls at Christmas time?

By the way Amazon Logistics and Flex drivers must carry commercial liability insurance, pass a drug and background check and have a CDL … the same level of vetting done by UPS / FedEx and the like. The same is true for the USPS private contractors.

So, if you don't like home delivery from Amazon (or anybody else for that matter) send your order to one of the lockers, to your work address, or use the special instruction block to limit the times of delivery (and then NOT complain when it takes extra time to arrive) or go to a brick and mortar store yourself. Easy Peasy.

Liberty,

Would you clarify: "I don't think it's too much to ask that people approaching my house in a professional capacity dress, drive, and act accordingly."

Not being a smart alec, just no sure what you mean?

Are you saying they should be in a uniform or ...?

Delivery people shouldn't mosy about or start looking through windows or what?

Thanks!

Their vehicles should be clearly marked with the company they work for (OnTrac is terrible at this, they drive generic white vans with a little 8.5x11 sign taped to the door). The USPS contractors are slightly better at this, or it's at least the same car all the time.

Their employees should wear something with the company logo. Something that helps identify who they work for.

They shouldn't park off in some random spot on the property and walk across an acre of yard to the door. Especially at night. Use the driveway and parking area :)

And yes, no peering in windows (we've actually had reports of the *actual* OnTrac driver doing this locally, making people really suspicious of him).

Getting things delivered to an amazon locker or other location are not an option for me. Not to mention that I shouldn't have to resort to that.

The USPS has been delivering packages within "normal" working hours for decades.

The USPS has used contract private carriers for decades, they drive their own vehicles and have no uniform.

Here I believe you are referring to USPS Rural Carriers and some Highway Contract drivers. Which are regularly scheduled drivers, working within "normal" hours, mostly already known to their patrons along rural routes. Not the same as random package delivery in unmarked vehicles at all hours. Rural and HCR carriers are issued and required to wear USPS ID badges. I don't think I've ever seen a contract carrier vehicle that wasn't identified with the words, "US Mail" on it somewhere.

There are some HCR contract drivers who only deliver loads between USPS facilities, not individual stops at residences. These people could drive any hours.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top